Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Subcardioid AT853 in AT8438 mounts, some suggestions please  (Read 2638 times)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Subcardioid AT853 in AT8438 mounts, some suggestions please
« on: April 06, 2005, 09:41:25 PM »
I have a new set of the SP CMC-4 (AT853s) and the http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-DTS-11.jpg mount.  I also bought a new set of the subcardioid elements (got the hypers too).  I am heading to the Wanee festival at the Spirit of the Suwanee music park next week and I wanted to get some suggestions on how to setup the mics using this mount setup and the subcardioids in a place like the Suwanee music park.  From what I can tell on the music park website there are no walls or major points of reflections to worry about,etc. 

The oade bros suggest something in the area of 120- 130 degrees: http://oade.com/Tapers_Section/micsetupoutdoors.html

Is that a good place to start with these mics?  Since I have the 14 inch bar, I guess I would probably do best using the inner 2  mounts and the crossing over and under at 120 to 130 degrees?  Or should I just use the outer two mounts and point them at 120 crossing (they are shorter than the 14 inch bar, about 9-10 inches length).  Does that make a difference that the crossing point of the mic focus would actually be in front of where the mics end, not behind???

Or should I just point at the stacks and let it roll?

I used these mics in a sorta NOS pattern last week with the cardioids and it turned out really good.  Here's a link:
http://www.archive.org/details-db.php?mediatype=etree&identifier=dtb2005-04-01flac16

Thanks  ahead of time for your suggestions.                       

M                                 

It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Subcardioid AT853 in AT8438 mounts, some suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 03:43:33 PM »
I have a new set of the SP CMC-4 (AT853s) and the http://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/full/SP-DTS-11.jpg mount.  I also bought a new set of the subcardioid elements (got the hypers too).  I am heading to the Wanee festival at the Spirit of the Suwanee music park next week and I wanted to get some suggestions on how to setup the mics using this mount setup and the subcardioids in a place like the Suwanee music park.  From what I can tell on the music park website there are no walls or major points of reflections to worry about,etc. 

The oade bros suggest something in the area of 120- 130 degrees: http://oade.com/Tapers_Section/micsetupoutdoors.html

Is that a good place to start with these mics?  Since I have the 14 inch bar, I guess I would probably do best using the inner 2  mounts and the crossing over and under at 120 to 130 degrees?  Or should I just use the outer two mounts and point them at 120 crossing (they are shorter than the 14 inch bar, about 9-10 inches length).  Does that make a difference that the crossing point of the mic focus would actually be in front of where the mics end, not behind???

Or should I just point at the stacks and let it roll?

I used these mics in a sorta NOS pattern last week with the cardioids and it turned out really good.  Here's a link:
http://www.archive.org/details-db.php?mediatype=etree&identifier=dtb2005-04-01flac16

Thanks  ahead of time for your suggestions.                       

M                                 

The pickup pattern on the AT Subcardoids are 170 degrees.  Unless you are DFC and inside the first 10 rows, go with the Cardioids. 

As for setting up the mics on the stand, just go with a standard 90 degree configuration (DIN).  The 120-130 degrees, that Oade talks about, is the mic pickup pattern, not the actual angle of which the mics are spread.

On the other hand, if you are set up at the stack, I highly recommend going with the Hyper caps.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 07:47:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I will take all 3 element sets and see where I get to setup. 

Hopefully, I can run the subcardioids at some point. Would they offer any advantage in terms of wind noise over the cardioids?  That's the problem I have noted with mini cardioids outside, even with windscreens in place. Too much wind. 

Thanks again.  I will post my results next week after I get home.

M

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 04:01:38 PM »

The pickup pattern on the AT Subcardoids are 170 degrees.  Unless you are DFC and inside the first 10 rows, go with the Cardioids. 

As for setting up the mics on the stand, just go with a standard 90 degree configuration (DIN).  The 120-130 degrees, that Oade talks about, is the mic pickup pattern, not the actual angle of which the mics are spread.

On the other hand, if you are set up at the stack, I highly recommend going with the Hyper caps.

hey Dan.  why do you recommend hypers up close at the stack?  less bass response?  more crowd
rejection?  (though that close, people ain't usually talking, and the SPL of the PA usually drowns
everything else out...)

I'll be looking at the Crowe's right stack up close and personal in Boston next month,
and I know you have more experience with these (AT853Rx) than I do....
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 04:20:16 PM »
I haven't tried the other caps for stack taping up close.  But, you should be safe with the hypers.  They handle the SPL better for loud shows and provide some rejection.  Rejection comes in handy in between songs, no matter where you are sitting.

As for wind, wind will always win out when it takes on small caps. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 04:22:44 PM by spyder9 »

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 05:59:27 PM »
Too bad I just sold my AT822 it handled wind noise like a charm due to that fat head.  Oh well, the sound improvements from the AT822 to the AT853s is very noticeable, at least indoors so far.  This will be an experiment no matter what, hopefully some good results.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »
The Wanee was a blast but my setup using the subcards was a BUST.  Too much bass for the 9v power supply without any bass rolloff to handle.  I have sent them back to Sound Pros since I don't want to get a battery box instead of the little preamp.  I will stick with the hypers and the cards until I go 48v into a UA-5 (hopefully next year).  Thanks for all the advice.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com