Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stage mics for Hot Buttered Rum String Band  (Read 6417 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Stage mics for Hot Buttered Rum String Band
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 12:55:49 PM »
Thursday is close and I was wondering if I stated that my clamp and mics would be DFC clamped onto the stage skirt. Any difference in opinion?
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2005, 01:01:34 PM »
well, thursday came and went... but, i would have gone further back if they are using IEMs... this is newish for them.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2005, 01:04:47 PM »
I may be missing something but if their insturments are not amped on stage wouldnt it be pointless to run onstage? Plus the fact that they have vocals makes a on stage less than desirable because the vocals would suffer. You should either SBD or audience. I know you want to avoid the chatter but find the sweet spott and running a little above the crowd and try to get some quiet friends to hang around your gear, this appears to be your best choice.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2005, 06:18:52 PM »
Right on!!! I was just trying to avoid the audience because last time every drunk tripped aleast five times on my stand and I pulled a far from desiberable pull that night and they played a pretty hot set. I might try SDB but I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the sound guy. I have it on some of my tapes but I am not sure if its the same guy? Also they use the rest/bars SDB when they play this hole in the wall so I hope this isn't a problem.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 04:56:44 AM »
Sound guy's name is Josh.  He is TAPERFRIENDLY in every way.  Super nice guy.  He has a pretty good ear too, so you should get a good mix esp. since they are using di boxes.
Matt

***edit*** house PA or not, if there is a way to get you a patch, Josh will hook you up.  Just ask nice!   ;D

« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 05:06:45 AM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline hzgone

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 01:36:43 PM »
Sound guy's name is Josh.  He is TAPERFRIENDLY in every way.  Super nice guy.  He has a pretty good ear too, so you should get a good mix esp. since they are using di boxes.
Matt

***edit*** house PA or not, if there is a way to get you a patch, Josh will hook you up.  Just ask nice!   ;D

I guess it's a little late now but josh is super cool and i'm sure would have given you a board patch if you asked.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 09:44:34 PM »
Just curious how you ended up setting up. I am going to tape them tonight at the Other Side in Missoula. There's usually another guy there (Pastor Tim I think) who patches off of the SBD and last time he didn't run any patches from his rig. Thought about setting up on stage as well because the set up at the bar doesn't offer very much protection for the stand if you set up in the audience.  I guess I will jusr have to see, leaving in about an hour.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 10:16:58 PM »
Just curious how you ended up setting up. I am going to tape them tonight at the Other Side in Missoula. There's usually another guy there (Pastor Tim I think) who patches off of the SBD and last time he didn't run any patches from his rig. Thought about setting up on stage as well because the set up at the bar doesn't offer very much protection for the stand if you set up in the audience.  I guess I will jusr have to see, leaving in about an hour.
Do not bother setting up by the stage they are using in ear monitors and their insturments are not amped this set up will result in a terrible recording. Set up in the crowd or patch from the SBD.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 10:19:12 PM »
Thanks, that's what I figured, just curious if he tried the onstage setup. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a patch.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 12:18:35 AM »
I'm curious if Pastor Tim showed up!  I'm bettin' not.  He should be freaking out by now about his drive to MN.  I'm curious nonetheless though.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 01:26:29 PM »
Pastor Tim was not there. Josh is THE man and hooked me up with a really great sounding patch. I haven't seen a soundman work that hard in a long time, and you can definately hear the very finely tuned adjustments, even at the shitty sounding venue last night. This was my first attempt at taping on my own, and Josh made it easy, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 01:29:21 PM »
Do you have Highspeed? If you do could you upload it to the archive?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2005, 01:34:13 PM »
It will be a little while till I can txr the show and upload it. I recorded on MD so there is of course some loss due to compression. I can still upload if you would like, but I know that Josh (soundman) was burning on the fly there and he said he has someone that uploads to the archive, it could be a while I would guess since they will be touring pretty hard up through High Sierra. I have never uploaded before, and figured since his source was purer it would be better. Is this any issue for the archive? I know that there are multiple sources for many shows, but ours would both be SBD, mine just a little lossy.

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2005, 01:54:05 PM »
I can wait for him to upload it. Just wanted to make sure the shows were getting on the archive. Glad you walked with a good recording.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2005, 04:40:54 PM »
Pastor Tim was not there. Josh is THE man and hooked me up with a really great sounding patch. I haven't seen a soundman work that hard in a long time, and you can definately hear the very finely tuned adjustments, even at the shitty sounding venue last night. This was my first attempt at taping on my own, and Josh made it easy, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

+T

Josh should be the official break in a new taper guy.  Just the nicest guy in the world.  Some engineers are cocky basterds but Josh is different... good fit with that band because they are all the same way... very humble group of guys.  I'm anxious to see them next weekend at the Wu reunion.  I'll be sure to let Josh know how much he gets fluffed around here.  They are on the main stage this year so I will be running my rig behind him, and I'll make sure to get that on the archive as quick as I can.  I think they will be doing PT's church service again, and last year I was blindsided and only managed to get a mono recordinng of part of the service.  This year I'm running split mbho omni's > v2 and will do my best to bring home the heat.  The service last year was very special to me regardless of my 1/2 assed recording.

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com