Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: opinions please  (Read 6099 times)

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
opinions please
« on: October 07, 2005, 08:26:33 PM »
Okay, so I've done a little more research and have narrowed down my choices.  I think I'm going to go with a two channel system and forget the surround setup (unless someone can convince me otherwise).  While I have found many smaller companies out there that offer great products I've (almost) decided to go with a major brand.  Can anyone out there, preferably someone with any experience with these units, give me any feedback?  These guys are leading the pack:

integrated amplifier   http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lvV91XvyUa4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=033PMA2KIV&g=10450

dvd player   http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lvV91XvyUa4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=54400&I=033DV2910B

Also, am I really losing that much by going with a simple two speaker setup.  Its my feeling that I can get a better two speaker setup for the same amount of money I could get a multi channel setup for.  Don't know if that came out right but you guys know what I mean right?  Anyway, I will be using this system for pretty much everything, television, movies, & music listening so i want to get kind of an all around workhorse yet still get good sound quality.  Thanks for any and all info.

Shane

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: opinions please
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 08:39:18 PM »
I suspect, for that amount of money, people here will be able to suggest better integrated amps for about the same amount... unfortunately that person is not me...  but $1200 will get you a very nice integrated.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 09:11:54 PM »
I wouldn't be thinking Denon when I am thinking 2 channel.  I also think you can do much better than 80 watts for that kind of money.  I have suggestions, but what kind of speakers are we driving with the integrated, and what dac do you use?  The denon 2910 is great, and has lots of modding potential should you decide to go that route later on.  Look at the Cambridge Audio stuff though, much more bang for the buck out of the UK.  Perhaps search for an Oppo dvd player as well, the audio performance is supposed to be fantastic.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 09:54:09 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but would I need sometihng else for digital/analog conversion?  In reading about the DVD 2910 it says the unit uses dual 12-bit/216-MHz converters.

Shane

BobW

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 10:15:23 PM »
The Denon integrated is very refined and well-tempered. Maybe too much so, perhaps even "dry" ?
I like it as much as I like Rotel. Less than I like Creek.

For $1200 a Portal dual mono integrated with 100wpc @8 ohms and LOTS of impulse power to spare is worth a comparison.
The bass from this thing is just plain sick. The Panache is very articulate, and has nice soundstage for transistors.

The Denon Universal disk player sounds pretty dang good.
The new Jolida CD player is unreal. But it is "just" a CD player.

Please respect my "loudmouth opinion" but I'd have skipped buying all my SACDs, DualDisks, and DVD-As and have stuck to CDs with the JoLida, if I knew then what I know now.
Hi-Res with divergent formats has become a fool's game.   :P

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:18:31 PM »
the denon 2910 universal is probably the best priced universal on the market right now with a quality dac in it as well as a very high quality transport. 
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 02:44:15 AM »
someone find Nick from Nick's Picks, he's the hi-fi guru ;D
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 08:41:06 AM »
The Denon integrated is very refined and well-tempered. Maybe too much so, perhaps even "dry" ?
I like it as much as I like Rotel. Less than I like Creek.

For $1200 a Portal dual mono integrated with 100wpc @8 ohms and LOTS of impulse power to spare is worth a comparison.
The bass from this thing is just plain sick. The Panache is very articulate, and has nice soundstage for transistors.

The Denon Universal disk player sounds pretty dang good.
The new Jolida CD player is unreal. But it is "just" a CD player.

Please respect my "loudmouth opinion" but I'd have skipped buying all my SACDs, DualDisks, and DVD-As and have stuck to CDs with the JoLida, if I knew then what I know now.
Hi-Res with divergent formats has become a fool's game.   :P

Bob,

I looked at the Panache and it was morfe like $1800.

Shane

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 08:53:23 AM »
Better yet, just purchase used. I would stick with the 2910 or for the same money used I would buy a 3910 used. Also for the same money as that "receiver" I would look at a DK Designs MKII. It does depend what speakers you want to drive but the reality is that (imo) most would consider the Dennon receiver to be what's known as mid-fi. You can get alot nicer products for the same money used. Start out here & search the forums, there are many people in that same situation as you. Then go to Audiogon.com & ask the question there,  you will get tons of answers. We  all started out in the same situation as you but by asking the questions you can eliminate most of the headaches.

Also, do not be afraid to buy used, especially off Agon. Avoiding the big guys that you see at your local electronics store will (usually) be a better investment in the long run yeilding better sound too!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 09:31:05 AM »
I have to reiterate what Carl said.  Buying used gives you the opportunity to buy better gear without the large investment.  Everything depreciates, but not nearly as quick when you're the second buyer.. just like cars.  If something doesn't work out used, re-sell and go a different direction. 

Just like taping, playback is highly if not more addictive.  There are WAY more options (and opinions for that matter).  However, being able to discuss things here helps tremendously as you know what types of music (live music will be a significan part) folks are playing when they discuss gear hear.  But like I said, playback gear is addictive, and you'll find yourself talking yourself into things very quickly!  Audiogon=crack

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 11:09:36 AM »
I have to reiterate what Carl said.  Buying used gives you the opportunity to buy better gear without the large investment.  Everything depreciates, but not nearly as quick when you're the second buyer.. just like cars.  If something doesn't work out used, re-sell and go a different direction. 

Just like taping, playback is highly if not more addictive.  There are WAY more options (and opinions for that matter).  However, being able to discuss things here helps tremendously as you know what types of music (live music will be a significan part) folks are playing when they discuss gear hear.  But like I said, playback gear is addictive, and you'll find yourself talking yourself into things very quickly!  Audiogon=crack

The other thing to keep in mind, with buying used at this quality level, people know what they have, and take good care of it (for the most part).
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 11:57:07 AM »

If you're seriously interested:
Call the toll free number, ask for Joe.
Tell him Bob the taper said to give you the best price he can do.
He does mail order demos, and will sell returns at substantial discounts after thoroughly testing them.

He's all over AudiogoN as well.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 12:08:01 PM »
Is the 2910 a lower rated model than the older 2900?  The price of the 2910 new is about half the new price of the 2900.   For the money, the 2900 is an amazing unit and they are available on agon for about $400-$450 now.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
The 2910 is the newer model & are spposed to be better than the previous models.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 12:51:39 PM »

If you're seriously interested:
Call the toll free number, ask for Joe.
Tell him Bob the taper said to give you the best price he can do.
He does mail order demos, and will sell returns at substantial discounts after thoroughly testing them.

He's all over AudiogoN as well.

Is he this Joe here?
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1133535764

Shane

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com