Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: College: Poor, Ambitious, and Inexperienced  (Read 2343 times)

Offline joeruny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
College: Poor, Ambitious, and Inexperienced
« on: October 14, 2005, 12:47:53 AM »
So you have the idea--I'm poor as all hell and I want to make some recordings of my own.  I fully understand I'm not gonna be rocking any socks off with the rig I'm gonna have, but I'd like it to be as good as it can be.  I'm looking to spend under $100 on mic + power, and the cheaper the better.  Tuition is expensive... :-[

I was given a Sony MZ-N707 by a friend.  I have no money for anything better.

Mic wise, I'm having trouble deciding.  The Sony ECM-MS907 seems like a decent mic (I've listened to some shows off of the archives), but it cannot be stealthed, and is going to need a stand and such.  If I go with the Sound Professionals SP-CMC-19, I need to worry about a battery box that's gonna run me $50 more.  Giant Squids also run in that price range, but I've heard bad things about them from looking around on these boards.  From what I understand, I need a battery box in order for the mics to sound halfway decent.    The idea of a battery box seems like something I could make at home...

Anyhow, I need some opinions, constructive criticism, free gear gives away, something like that.  Which is the best sounding, more user-friendly, versitile rig?

Offline joeruny

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: College: Poor, Ambitious, and Inexperienced
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:55:30 AM »
Another factor: How well do caridioids mount on stands?  With a T-Bar, do they sound decent?

Also, for stealthing, I'm assuming Uni-directionals would cut down on crowd noise.  Am I assuming correctly?

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:04:25 AM »
cardiod, omni directional, and hyper-cardiod,  are the most common  pickup patterns of mics.  Omni pics up things all around, cardiod is more forward focused, and hyper is the most forward focused.  The mounting issues are the same with any pickup pattern.  Cardiod mics will reject more sound that is behind the mic.  So in essence pic up less chatter. 

For a hundred bucks.  I would say save more money.  Or buy a used recording device and patch.  Patching is refered to as getting a signal from someone else's rig.  It will help you decide if you like it.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 05:25:54 AM »
If you're determined to go it alone, try plugging in an ECM-717 or ECM-719 microphone into your minidisc.

You'll find the latter mic on ebay, or from minidisco:

http://www.minidisco.com/ecm-719.html

It'll get you started, and you can upgrade later.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 06:32:24 AM »
schwily used to stealth a 908 all the time. he is the only person who has ever pulled decent tapes from one regularly.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 01:37:32 PM »
I would honestly tell you to just patch or keep downloading untill you can afford something a little more substantial.  Try and sock away some real dough maybe $600-$1000 and you can get yourself a fairly good rig.  Even if it takes you a year to save that kind of money it will be well worth it.
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »
I'm gonna be in the minority and say go for the Giant Squid mics, or cruise for some used SP-CMC-2's and a battery box (should be around $100).  I figure you're probably going to shows where others don't tape, and those two mics will do a just fine job with what you need them to.  I started out with something like that and as much as we all say to just patch, rarely do we follow our own advice.  Its hard to step right into the hobby and invest $600-$1000 off the bat, so buying something small and upgrading is a way of justifying it to ourselves.  Its just another $100, then its just another $100 after the next upgrade

So unless you're going on moe. tour, or mule where there are always other tapers, go for it, grab some squids or cmc-2's and get out and tape.
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »
I would honestly tell you to just patch or keep downloading untill you can afford something a little more substantial.  Try and sock away some real dough maybe $600-$1000 and you can get yourself a fairly good rig.  Even if it takes you a year to save that kind of money it will be well worth it.

Agreed!  You may be even be able to find a buddy who is upgrading willing to sell his rig to ya on a payment plan.  It happens, worked for me.  You will be MUCH happier with your results spending the $600-$1000 than with the $100 or less job.  I'll give you fair warning though, you never stop spending money on upgrades/gear slutting, etc  ;D  I got stuff laying 'round the house that I have never used, never will, ask myself why I bought it, and why I don't sell it.  Have fun in your adventure!

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:27:44 PM »
I'm gonna be in the minority and say go for the Giant Squid mics, or cruise for some used SP-CMC-2's and a battery box (should be around $100).  I figure you're probably going to shows where others don't tape, and those two mics will do a just fine job with what you need them to.  I started out with something like that and as much as we all say to just patch, rarely do we follow our own advice.  Its hard to step right into the hobby and invest $600-$1000 off the bat, so buying something small and upgrading is a way of justifying it to ourselves.  Its just another $100, then its just another $100 after the next upgrade

So unless you're going on moe. tour, or mule where there are always other tapers, go for it, grab some squids or cmc-2's and get out and tape.
I generally agree with Sanjay, I got a JB3 ($150), giant squid mic+battery box ($60-$80, look for used in yard sale forum), and I've been happy. I'm in university too.
I think another important point, not brought up: you don't want to save and save and spend $600-$1000 only to find out you don't really tape much/don't like taping. so starting off small can be, imo, a good choice.  If you like it enough, you'll be motivated to continue to save (and spend  ;D) for gear.
DC

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:35:54 AM »
I am/was in the same boat. I went from poor grad student to poor assitant professor.  You can easily get a decent setup.  Start bugging yuor friends.  Also, go to soundprofessionals.com and look at some of the mics they have over there.  Sure they are not going to set the world on fire, but if you are as poor as I was when I started, they will do just fine.  My main mics are still cmc-8s.  You can get some other mics over there for 50-100 bucks easy. Perhaps get a little battery box with it, brings you up to 150 bucks.  dont listen to all these people that say 'wait and spend 600-1000 bucks', i have not spent that much money on my rig total and i have some kick ass recordings.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com