Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to go about asking for clamp space  (Read 8117 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: how to go about asking for clamp space
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2006, 03:57:14 AM »
you know .. it sure would be nice to go to a concert one of these days and see another taper / stand SOMEWHERE, anywhere.... there's no damn tapers at these shows...

where are you located?

San Diego, CA, USA.

I guess it doesn't help that most w00k / jam music out there I really don't like .. but hell, at this point i'd pay the $30 to go to a WSP show and see 4 stands and get to talk to people and sit on a freaking grass field during a show .. ;)

thats what its all about 8)

3 mo months to go!   :-)
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Roving Sign

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »
Ok - once this thread hit three pages I couldn't resist finding out what was up...I never encounter this - so it must be a Widespread Panic problem or something... >:D But - really - I'm super anal about having space/air around my mics...I want EVERTHING to be AT LEAST 12 inches away from the mics...some of these mic trees are crazy! Dont certain mics come with little plastic widget-shapes that fit in front of the mic to change mic's pattern and response?  Same principle...Things near the mic color the sound the most. And I agree with whoever pointed out that you are linking your fortunes to someone elses - and vice-versa. I'm picturing a scene from "The Aviator" - and someone else has put his mics on Howards mic stand  - and and causes endless obsesvive tramua. In his head all Howard can hear is the other guys mics...Clamp, Clamp, Clamp, Clamp...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »
But - really - I'm super anal about having space/air around my mics...I want EVERTHING to be AT LEAST 12 inches away from the mics...some of these mic trees are crazy!

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't heard how much cell phones can interfere with your rig?

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2006, 10:29:01 AM »
... I'm super anal about having space/air around my mics...I want EVERTHING to be AT LEAST 12 inches away from the mics...some of these mic trees are crazy! Dont

i think super anal is about right.  if the air around you mics is clear, you'll be fine.  two to three inches is more than adequate.  what i don't like, is the late arrival who has to put his mics in front of other pairs, at the same elevation.  he is then asked to lower.

clamps are always welcome, the earlier, the better.

jr
we all live downstream.

Roving Sign

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2006, 10:54:34 AM »
But - really - I'm super anal about having space/air around my mics...I want EVERTHING to be AT LEAST 12 inches away from the mics...some of these mic trees are crazy!

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you haven't heard how much cell phones can interfere with your rig?

...well anything that's not emitting tons of RFI... - - yes I've heard...I think I have one JB3 recording - made using the analog in - that has some odd clicks...

Roving Sign

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2006, 11:10:22 AM »
... I'm super anal about having space/air around my mics...I want EVERTHING to be AT LEAST 12 inches away from the mics...some of these mic trees are crazy! Dont

i think super anal is about right.  if the air around you mics is clear, you'll be fine.  two to three inches is more than adequate.  what i don't like, is the late arrival who has to put his mics in front of other pairs, at the same elevation.  he is then asked to lower.

jr

I would bet that - if you set up your mics in front of your stereo  - and moved a tangerine-sized object around the mic - you will be able to hear something. I think the the bigger the object - the further you want to get away from it...

At one local venue - there is a square column/support in the middle of the room - we always set up against the pole...but never got a good recording until we moved the stand away from the pole...same goes for cielings - I'd rather risk running a bit low than run 6 inches from the ceiling...

Sorry for the digression...at places like the Chameleon in Lancaster, PA - clamping is essential if there going to be more than a few tapers...otherwise we risk making a nuciance of ourselves in a place like that - (who BTW have always been very cool about tapers...YMMV)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2006, 02:09:16 PM »

jr

I would bet that - if you set up your mics in front of your stereo  - and moved a tangerine-sized object around the mic - you will be able to hear something. I think the the bigger the object - the further you want to get away from it...

At one local venue - there is a square column/support in the middle of the room - we always set up against the pole...but never got a good recording until we moved the stand away from the pole...same goes for cielings - I'd rather risk running a bit low than run 6 inches from the ceiling...

Sorry for the digression...at places like the Chameleon in Lancaster, PA - clamping is essential if there going to be more than a few tapers...otherwise we risk making a nuciance of ourselves in a place like that - (who BTW have always been very cool about tapers...YMMV)

but the mics arent movng once clamped, theyre stationary

I have p[ersonally been on LOTS of mic trees and have no audible problems in lots of taping ventures
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2006, 08:14:44 PM »
you know .. it sure would be nice to go to a concert one of these days and see another taper / stand SOMEWHERE, anywhere.... there's no damn tapers at these shows...

where are you located?

San Diego, CA, USA.

I guess it doesn't help that most w00k / jam music out there I really don't like .. but hell, at this point i'd pay the $30 to go to a WSP show and see 4 stands and get to talk to people and sit on a freaking grass field during a show .. ;)

what type of shows do you usually tape? i tape in SD a lot but most shows may fall into the "jamband wook" scene. i've been wanting to tape something different for a little while now but haven't really followed through
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Roving Sign

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 09:35:16 PM »
Ok - once this thread hit three pages I couldn't resist finding out what was up...I never encounter this - so it must be a Widespread Panic problem or something... >:D But - really - I'm super anal about having space/air around my mics...I want EVERTHING to be AT LEAST 12 inches away from the mics...some of these mic trees are crazy! Dont certain mics come with little plastic widget-shapes that fit in front of the mic to change mic's pattern and response?  Same principle...Things near the mic color the sound the most.

Sorry to reply to my own post - but lo and behold here is a recording featuring the little plastic widgets (the balls) that go in front of the mic...thanks Nick's Picks

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=57855.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.21 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com