Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA4061's - Questions  (Read 19584 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
DPA4061's - Questions
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:49:49 PM »
I currently own a set of SP-CMC-8's with an SP battery box.  I've heard concerts with the DPA4061's and they sound like an upgrade to me.

Would everyone agree and if so, where is the best place to purchase a new set of these mics?
Also, would the battery box I currently have work with the DPA's? I own two portable DAT's, a Sony D-7 and an M-1.

Thanks!
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: DPA4061's - Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »
new DPA4061's have a proprietary connector on them called a microdot... it looks like a little tiny cable tv coax cable...   The way that you can use your sound pros bb is to solder 4061's (presumably from ebay) onto a stereo miniplug.

406x's are great mics.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Belexes

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »
Yikes, I wasn't aware the connector was proprietary.  Is there any place that could do the soldering for me or perhaps buy them already modified?  I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 12:22:24 PM »
i think they sound nice as long as you like stacking, which you might not always be able to do, and dont move at all because they are do sensitive you can hear swishing with the slightest movement
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:38:42 PM »
i think they sound nice as long as you like stacking, which you might not always be able to do, and dont move at all because they are do sensitive you can hear swishing with the slightest movement

I gotta call BS on both counts.  How many times have you worn 4061s?

The suggestion that they are only appropriate for stack taping is just way wrong, as countless sources demonstrate.

Same for 'swishing with the slightest movement'.  As an omni, they should be less prone to movement induced phase or wind issues than a card or hyper.  They are way less sensitive to cable or body handling than my AT853's were.  I regularly wear schoeps cards and hypers at 40-55dB of gain with no 'swishing'.  So wearing omnis, especially at the lower levels required for rock shows, is cake.

I bought mine used on ebay and changed the connector from lemo to miniplug. I was fortunate to get a good pair.  The ebay DPAs are a bit of a risk. That is especially true if you need to change the connector in order to test them.  You can't really cut and solder them and then send them back saying they don't work right, etc.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:47:55 PM »
i think they sound nice as long as you like stacking

I respectfully disagree as well.  I think they are a very versatile mic, and I've made many recordings that I've enjoyed with them in many different situations.  As with any mics, they are sensitive to extreme movements, but not slight ones.  My experience has been that if I move my head from side to side, its not a problem; if I look down (to look at my levels, for example) I get a flange-esque sound.   Other mics I've stealthed with were way more sensiitive to this - I've had a certain kind of mics have an auditory effect when someone walks in front of them (and they weren't the DPAs).

I have also put them in a jeklin disc right under a ceiling fan sans windscreens, and not heard any wind rumble.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:14:36 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:31:03 PM »

I also disagree.  Best tapes I've got with the 4061s are DFC in the middle of the floor, in the middle of a standing crowd.  I was basically forming a perfect triangle with the stacks.  No noticeable swishing at all either, and I'm not the best at standing stock-still.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »

I also disagree.  Best tapes I've got with the 4061s are DFC in the middle of the floor, in the middle of a standing crowd.  I was basically forming a perfect triangle with the stacks.  No noticeable swishing at all either, and I'm not the best at standing stock-still.

This is exactly what I do as well.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 08:02:41 PM »
yeah that is total BS.  i've taped in mosh pits with the 4061s and have been spun around and moved all about and you don't hear any swishing on the tapes.  all that you'll hear is some change in the sound mix due to the movement.  the 4061s work great FOBDFC in a venue that is loud and sounds decent, no stack humping is necessary.  i wish you could hear my Opeth tape (4061s - front of balcony DFC) shit turned out SICK.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 08:48:40 PM »
Were gonna have to work out a trade my man ... ;D

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 11:13:12 PM »
I also second the popular opinion here.  I have moved quite a bit with my 4061s and haven't experienced any phasing or swishing sounds of the mic rubbing against my clothing/jacket/whatever.  As someone else mentioned, cards would be far more likely to be susceptible to this sort of issue. 

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 04:03:47 AM »
BS indeed  ;D

here's something i did a few weeks ago from a bit behind the board and up in the balcony,

4061, 9 volts into m1, no pre, file was normalized, nothing more.

http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0GW2BR2TFL7KD2IJ6GP3E2W0OC

i only hear sensitivity to moving around when i run front row>stack setups
with any bit of distance, no problems.
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline Belexes

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 02:44:02 PM »
I appreciate the replies on this topic I started, keep them coming.

I'm a statute when I stealth record...almost stick out like a sore thumb because I don't look natural but the results of the recording are what I am after.

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 07:12:18 PM »
I'll chime in on the swishing topic, too - I've recently begun wearing my 4060s on my glasses and I'm hearing no problems with looking down for levels or side to side.  It is a whole new world sound-wise.

Keep your eyes peeled for a set in the yard sale - it seems like not too long ago there were 3 pairs for sale at once.  I got my set out of the yard sale and it was a fine investment for the upgrade in sound and versatility.

Good to see you here Belexes - I've got some good stuff in my collection from your torrents on the dime.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 12:28:20 AM »
well i have heard two real good recordings from two different people the last month and both have the same swishing sound, bottom line is 4061's are omnis and the fact is you will need to be in tight to pull a nice recording, if you get lucky a few times thats just it,luck, not to mention the fact that if you happen to see a band with any sort of panning at all your fucked....
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com