Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 bit FLAC Player Recommendations (Mac)  (Read 7439 times)

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
Re: 24 bit FLAC Player Recommendations (Mac)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »
Thanks much for the info!
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »
I downloaded Play a minute ago and like it so far.  One major thing I hate about it is that it will not display the filenames of the flacs that you are playing.  The only info that is shown is what is in the flac tags, which I sometimes do not fill in.  When I did go back and complete flac tags for a 2 disc show, the software did not recognize disc number (expected) and also did not care about the leading zeros on the track number, so it ended up looking like this: d1t01, d2t01, d1t02, d2t02, etc.  I took a screenshot in case that doesn't make sense.

Still not a bad program, I might use it to play some archive studio albums that I keep in flac, but until then the hunt continues for a really strong 24-bit FLAC player for OSX.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 06:00:59 PM »
For those who use play, is there a way to arbitrarily arrange a playlist? Mine always seems to sort by one category or another.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 05:47:25 PM »
Play looks interesting, I'll have to give that a try. I've been using XMMS on my G4,
but am upgrading to an intel mac soon and will need something new.

Toast 7 and above can also playback flac files (though not sure about 24bit), I use that to burn
audio cd's directly from flacs all of the time.

We need a petition for apple to support flac under quicktime (than it would work under itunes).
There was rumor that quicktime was going to eventually support flacs, but not sure what happened.
Maybe under Leopard? No way I'm using proprietary Apple Lossless...

Any software gurus out there want to develop a flac quicktime codec? There used
to be one a long time ago but it's long since broken.

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
Play looks interesting, I'll have to give that a try. I've been using XMMS on my G4,
but am upgrading to an intel mac soon and will need something new.

Toast 7 and above can also playback flac files (though not sure about 24bit), I use that to burn
audio cd's directly from flacs all of the time.

We need a petition for apple to support flac under quicktime (than it would work under itunes).
There was rumor that quicktime was going to eventually support flacs, but not sure what happened.
Maybe under Leopard? No way I'm using proprietary Apple Lossless...

Any software gurus out there want to develop a flac quicktime codec? There used
to be one a long time ago but it's long since broken.

Folks who've installed the developer build of Leopard have reported that FLAC support is included.  I haven't heard specifically about FLAC24, and I'd assume most folks have only tested FLAC16 and don't give much thought to 24-bit audio.  Fingers crossed!  The MacMini makes a great little HTPC, and a refurb at $479 for 1.83GHz, 512MB, 80GB & Superdrive is damn hard to beat... but much harder to beat if iTunes and Quicktime would support FLAC(16/24) out of the box.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 02:14:09 PM »
I downloaded Play a minute ago and like it so far.  One major thing I hate about it is that it will not display the filenames of the flacs that you are playing.  The only info that is shown is what is in the flac tags, which I sometimes do not fill in.  When I did go back and complete flac tags for a 2 disc show, the software did not recognize disc number (expected) and also did not care about the leading zeros on the track number, so it ended up looking like this: d1t01, d2t01, d1t02, d2t02, etc.  I took a screenshot in case that doesn't make sense.

Still not a bad program, I might use it to play some archive studio albums that I keep in flac, but until then the hunt continues for a really strong 24-bit FLAC player for OSX.

Control-click in the headings for the library and/or playlist and you'll get a pop-up menu with a bunch of different display category options.  One of them is "filename".  Select it and you should be good to go.

I was frustrated by this at first as well until I figured out the above.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 04:22:04 PM »

Control-click in the headings for the library and/or playlist and you'll get a pop-up menu with a bunch of different display category options.  One of them is "filename".  Select it and you should be good to go.

I was frustrated by this at first as well until I figured out the above.

Oh, ok.  This helps me out a ton, thanks!  +T.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com