Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Gear Bag Recommendations  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
ISO Gear Bag Recommendations
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:38:17 AM »
After upgrading all my equiptment, adding pieces, going to 15' cables that take up a ton of space, getting some gaffer tape, etc I need to upgrade my gear bag.  While I'd LOVE to get a SoniCase, I'm not ready to shell out $200 on a bag.  Anybody have any good "Poor Man's SoniCase" recommendations?  I've seen some decent $40 - $50 camera bags that are pretty customizable in side and might be possiblities, but thought I'd ask if anybody has any sub $75 suggestions. 

While I'm at it, anybody know of a good Light Stand bag?  My stand is over 45" closed so the Mic Supply bag is too short and some of the larger tube bags (seen them that measure up to 61" long) would be a tight squeeze with how big the legs and base area is even folded up.  The diameter of those bags is cutting it a bit close and I'd be worried about getting one and then have a $30 bag collecting dust in my closet because my stand doesn't fit.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: ISO Gear Bag Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
I use a Mountainsmith Day pack whenever possible.  Fantastic bag for whatever.  Two years in the Peace Corps hiking and camping all around Georgia with it and not a single rip or scratch.

I also have a Targus RakGear bag, but the damn thing is too big in the taper section for my tastes.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »
light stand bad...the big tamrac one I have, but honestly only use it when I travel...

I would also recommend the mountainsmith stuff...I have the cairn and it works great...

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
LowePro Nova4 or 5 depending on how much room you need.  Lots of space and dividers so it is very configurable.

Be careful with getting a backpack as some venues don't allow them anymore.

EDIT:
Once really nice thing is the LowePro is all weather... it has a 'hood' built in to protest from rain and dust.

In a 4 I fit:
20' silverpath XLRs
R-4
Pelican 1060 with 480s and caps
Shure vert bar
Shure wind screens
Sabrasom shocks
SVU-1
2 DVD batteries
Cables/Adapters for SBD patch
Misc flashlight, etc.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:13:07 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline anhisr

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
I second the LowePro 4 or 5.  Sounds like the 5 would be more up your alley with the XLRs
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:01:14 PM by anhisr »
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
It may be a little more ghetto chic that you're looking to go, but I use a $5 tackle bag that I got at wally world and built a custon cage for my pre/ad and it works great. Not as fancy and doesn't have the dividers that you'd get with a LowePro, but it's much cheaper.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:55 PM »
LowePro Nova4 or 5 depending on how much room you need.  Lots of space and dividers so it is very configurable.

Be careful with getting a backpack as some venues don't allow them anymore.

I was looking at a couple of the LowePro ones at Best Buy and did like them...that's a ton of gear to fit into one!  A couple picky questions if you don't mind:

I have an AD-20 and SP-2 that I just recently got and it seems like having both of them along with the CJB3 could lead to some overheating issues.  The lowepro bags, with their dividers for lenses, looks like I could put the AD-20 and SP-2 on the bottom of the case and then make a "platform" out of out of the velcro dividers to sit the CJB3 on top of them.  That would leave the sides for other gear, extra cable, etc.  Is that a smart idea?  When you tape at an outdoor venue (even if covered), do you leave the top of the bag open the whole time to avoid overheating?  Will keeping it open allow the potentially damaging hot air an avenue of escape and make stacking them and stuff be possible?  I just recently upgraded from AT853s and having no kind of A/D or PreAmp so I don't have any real experience with any potential issues with them.

On a side note I have a nice padded with compartments Swiss Army backpack with connected side pockets etc that would be great, but like you said venues have something against backpacks.  You can have a 50 gallon purse if you're a girl and that's fine.  And bringing in 30lbs of electronics that could be a bomb for all they know and a stand that could be a disguised rifle is no problem so long as it's not in the ever dangerous backpack from hell.  Taping DMB at Hartford they woudln't let me bring in my old camera case...but they had a couple WalMart plastic bags so I had to walk in with my stuff in 2 of them!  Must have been the security guard I got as I saw other tapers with HUGE bags :(

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »
It may be a little more ghetto chic that you're looking to go, but I use a $5 tackle bag that I got at wally world and built a custon cage for my pre/ad and it works great. Not as fancy and doesn't have the dividers that you'd get with a LowePro, but it's much cheaper.

I think I have you out ghettoed (is that a word?) with my cooler :)

Though it does fit all my stuff and my Superlux mics case fit's perfectly on top:

Worried about the heat issues and looking to integrate my mics, bar, mount, etc into a one case solution

treespine

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »
I use a Camping Chair bag for my mic/light stands.  The top of my stand sticks out the top a little, but they make bigger chairs. 

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
I use a Camping Chair bag for my mic/light stands.  The top of my stand sticks out the top a little, but they make bigger chairs. 

Did the exact same thing with my old 2-piece 8' stand.  Combining that with with my cooler made me look quite funny walking into indoor venues.  At least the bag was from a Dallas Cowboys chair.  This light stand is like 4' at it's most compact setting.  It's no hassle to just carry it, but it can get a little tricky navigating crowds so slinging it over my shoulder would be convinient...and the bag would provide a little bit of protection from anybody I hit with it (or who run into it)....protection for THEM getting hit in the shin by a giant piece of metal.  Not worried about hurting the stand :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:10:41 PM by Oysterhead00 »

treespine

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »

Did the exact same thing with my old 2-piece 8' stand.  Combining that with with my cooler made me look quite funny walking into indoor venues.  At least the bag was from a Dallas Cowboys chair.  This light stand is like 4' at it's most compact setting.  It's no hassle to just carry it, but it can get a little tricky navigating crowds so slinging it over my shoulder would be convinient...and the bag would provide a little bit of protection from anybody I hit with it (or who run into it).

Not to mention the bottom of the stand bag is a great place to hide stuff.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 01:27:32 PM »
I have an AD-20 and SP-2 that I just recently got and it seems like having both of them along with the CJB3 could lead to some overheating issues.  The lowepro bags, with their dividers for lenses, looks like I could put the AD-20 and SP-2 on the bottom of the case and then make a "platform" out of out of the velcro dividers to sit the CJB3 on top of them.  That would leave the sides for other gear, extra cable, etc.  Is that a smart idea?  When you tape at an outdoor venue (even if covered), do you leave the top of the bag open the whole time to avoid overheating?  Will keeping it open allow the potentially damaging hot air an avenue of escape and make stacking them and stuff be possible?  I just recently upgraded from AT853s and having no kind of A/D or PreAmp so I don't have any real experience with any potential issues with them.

I put everyting in mine vertical, when I had a JB3 I just placed it on top after setting up.  I usually just leave the top open unless I am in an area where somone might spill or rain/etc may be a factor.  I've had the JB3 overheat but I live in Arizona so that is probably a big factor.

With the nova I tried 3 or 4 different setups once I got it until I found one I really liked.  You can probably find it cheeper online, but if you want pick one up at best buy and try a few configs at home and if you don't like it take it back.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »
The new line of Mountainsmith camera bags are great though probably out of the sub $75 price range. I've been using a Mountainsmith Reflex II XXL ($144 from ebags) for transporting all my electronics (taping gear, laptop, PSP, and about 6 different chargers) in flying every week. The only real difference between these and other camera bags is the rubber bottom but it just feels more solid because of it.

I think the Reflex II XL is considerably smaller and might retail around $80.

Offline grider

• always give more than you take
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
and the upgrading begins....

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »
The new line of Mountainsmith camera bags are great though probably out of the sub $75 price range. I've been using a Mountainsmith Reflex II XXL ($144 from ebags) for transporting all my electronics (taping gear, laptop, PSP, and about 6 different chargers) in flying every week. The only real difference between these and other camera bags is the rubber bottom but it just feels more solid because of it.

I think the Reflex II XL is considerably smaller and might retail around $80.

Wow, that Reflex II XXL looks amazing with all those compartments and the rubber bottom looks like you could lay it down in a creek and not have to worry about it getting wet.  I'm going to poke around and check out the XL options...at 7" x 12.5" x 6" it sounds big enough to fit my gear and that rubber bottom would provide some peace of mind.  While you have the much larger bag, how deep is the front pocket...deep enough to fit a pair rolled up 15' XLR cable?  Cheap and fat AudioTechnica ones, not the more expensive nice slim kind :)  If so, I have no doubts that I could fit everything else inside and have room to spare.  THANKS.

Here's a link to a PDF about the product line if anybody else is interested:
http://www.rabbitusa.com/Marcas/Mountainsmith/Files/Fall05CameraBrochure.pdf

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com