Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: switching from CSB's to DPA Card's  (Read 3028 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
switching from CSB's to DPA Card's
« on: December 25, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
Hey folks, happy holidays!

I am a stealth taper who records primarily loud rock music in indoor venues which are generally fairly large (though not arenas).  I have always loved my Coresound Binaurals however they have been failing intermittenly and I am considering upgrading my setup to DPA's.  Though I was originally considering just swapping out for some DPA 4060 / 61 / 62's, I am now considering making the leap from Binaural / Omni recordings to Cardiod.  I am not very familiar with Cardiod recordings however and I am very nervous about the prosept of being bummed / jostled at all during the creation of the recording, I understand that Card's are not nearly as forgiving.

Basically I am wondering what I need for a Card set up and whether you all have had experiance stelthing with both.  I am curious to hear especially from people who have made the switch and can offer their story about how they delt with the directionality (assuming it presented them with difficulties at all!).  I am also wondering whether I would still need two mics or if I could use just one.  Please let me know guys, as always thanks for your help!!

PS: please feel free to recommend any other Card's that you feel are better than the DPA's for any reason, I'm working on a budget, but also a dream =).
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline travelinbeat

Re: switching from CSB's to DPA Card's
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 10:48:12 PM »
looks like you're right about that!!

Well, let's let the question stand, just ignore the part about the card's in consideration being dpa's.
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline firmdragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 04:40:49 AM »

I am a stealth taper who records primarily loud rock music in indoor venues which are generally fairly large (though not arenas).  I have always loved my Coresound Binaurals however they have been failing intermittenly and I am considering upgrading my setup to DPA's.  Though I was originally considering just swapping out for some DPA 4060 / 61 / 62's, I am now considering making the leap from Binaural / Omni recordings to Cardiod.  I am not very familiar with Cardiod recordings however and I am very nervous about the prosept of being bummed / jostled at all during the creation of the recording, I understand that Card's are not nearly as forgiving.

Basically I am wondering what I need for a Card set up and whether you all have had experiance stelthing with both.  I am curious to hear especially from people who have made the switch and can offer their story about how they delt with the directionality (assuming it presented them with difficulties at all!).  I am also wondering whether I would still need two mics or if I could use just one.  Please let me know guys, as always thanks for your help!!

PS: please feel free to recommend any other Card's that you feel are better than the DPA's for any reason, I'm working on a budget, but also a dream =).

well unless you want a mono recording, you'll need 2 mics.  in your situation, the 4060 are the 4061 are the only dpa mics you will be looking at.  better than dpa? in terms of stealth?  maybe look at sankens.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 03:33:37 PM »

well unless you want a mono recording, you'll need 2 mics.  in your situation, the 4060 are the 4061 are the only dpa mics you will be looking at.  better than dpa? in terms of stealth?  maybe look at sankens.

Thanks for that, but aren't the 406x's omni's?  I'm wondering about nice, stealthable card's now; sorry for the confusion!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 05:47:31 PM »
there are lots of choices. they range from a few hundred to a few thousand $$

pretty much in order of expense... low->high

Audio Technica u853's
MBHO active cable / capsule
Neumann KM140 actives
Schoeps w/ actives
DPA 402x

Probably should throw the Milabs in there as well.  I've only run mine a couple times now, but they're very nice.  Haven't had the chance yet to stealth them, but I'm sure I will at some point.  They take 12-52v of phantom too, so they should run fine with just VM44Link>Microtrack for a good compact stealth setup.

Audio Technica u853's
MBHO active cable / capsule
Milab VM44 Link
Neumann KM140 actives
Schoeps w/ actives
DPA 402x
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 05:49:46 PM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
Could also toss in the Audix M1290's...a little big for stealthing (90 mm long I believe) but doable, and cheaper than anything else on the list except for the U853s.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 09:59:12 PM »
on a limited budget, I say go with the 4060's.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 06:57:20 PM »
on a limited budget, I say go with the 4060's.

Aren't the 4060's omni's though?

What would you reccomend on a budget for Cards which are still an upgrade from CSB's?

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 08:15:06 PM »
If you want to get your feet wet with cards, on a budget, you might try out a set of Chris Church's Cards.  I've been very happy with mine.  Several other people also praised them after a recent sale he had.  You might run a search for comments.   The DPA's are awesome, but at a $3K pricetag, not to mention you'll need phantom power.

Good Luck in your search,

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »
I recently made the switch from CSB to DPA 4060s: smartest (taping-related) move I ever made... If you decide not to go down the card route, I imagine you'd be very happy with a pair of these.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com