Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's wrong with my wav file?  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What's wrong with my wav file?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »

How close were you to the PA and were you using the windscreens? It sounds like the diaphragm on my mic bottomed out... Or you should have used the High pass filter.. Its hard to say but it sounds like you were very close the the PA subwoofers.

I left the windscreens at home. Hard to judge but I was 50-60 feet from the PA, maybe more. The seating was quite steep so the PA was just out there hanging in front of me. I thought it would sound good.

The night before I was on the floor about 20 feet from the PA and it came out great. Same band different arena, and it felt like the sound was similar. The night before that I was a long way back. I listened to each recording in the morning prior to the next show and decided that I didn't need the high pass filter.

Well its always hard to tell even with a recording It sounds like wind distortion to me but I could be wrong, I would suspect the 9 volt battery but its hard to say. I dont know what to think I would strongly suggest in the future you use the windscreens when ever possible these mics have very good low end on them and they will freak out if they get wind blowing around them.
A kick drum with a good sound engineer can move a lot of wind... :) Replace the battery try running around 12oclock on the preamp and see where that gets you.

If you still end up with problems I can check the rig out for you..
I know this is bad for the environment but I really do recommend you use fresh batteries for important concerts. You never know when you will get a dud. Even thought your voltage measurement seems high.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline drapes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 03:40:09 PM »

How close were you to the PA and were you using the windscreens? It sounds like the diaphragm on my mic bottomed out... Or you should have used the High pass filter.. Its hard to say but it sounds like you were very close the the PA subwoofers.

I left the windscreens at home. Hard to judge but I was 50-60 feet from the PA, maybe more. The seating was quite steep so the PA was just out there hanging in front of me. I thought it would sound good.

The night before I was on the floor about 20 feet from the PA and it came out great. Same band different arena, and it felt like the sound was similar. The night before that I was a long way back. I listened to each recording in the morning prior to the next show and decided that I didn't need the high pass filter.

Well its always hard to tell even with a recording It sounds like wind distortion to me but I could be wrong, I would suspect the 9 volt battery but its hard to say. I dont know what to think I would strongly suggest in the future you use the windscreens when ever possible these mics have very good low end on them and they will freak out if they get wind blowing around them.
A kick drum with a good sound engineer can move a lot of wind... :) Replace the battery try running around 12oclock on the preamp and see where that gets you.

I know this is bad for the environment but I really do recommend you use fresh batteries for important concerts. You never know when you will get a dud. Even thought your voltage measurement seems high.

Chris

I'll follow your suggestions for next time.  Thanks for the time.

One more question though: would wind noise account for the funny shape of the wav file in the original attachment? I can't understand why it would. That's why I suspected the battery was at fault.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 06:02:20 PM »

Chris

I'll follow your suggestions for next time.  Thanks for the time.

One more question though: would wind noise account for the funny shape of the wav file in the original attachment? I can't understand why it would. That's why I suspected the battery was at fault.

Keep in touch and let me know you have my email address or leave a post here. I am sure you will be ok..

Chris

Also try using the windscreens when your going to be close to the PA.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 08:50:39 AM »
Hi,

I had this same problem running with Soundprofessional AT853 card and SP-SPSB-1.

First time I thought it was because of the config of the mics (were set X-Y), later I tought that the  mics were "phase cancelled".

Finally I discovered that the wavs were somehow distorted (in bass).

Are you running 2-wire or 3-wire? Do you use some of Chris Church mod's? (4k7 resistor, 3-wire....)
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline drapes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
Hi,

I had this same problem running with Soundprofessional AT853 card and SP-SPSB-1.

First time I thought it was because of the config of the mics (were set X-Y), later I tought that the  mics were "phase cancelled".

Finally I discovered that the wavs were somehow distorted (in bass).

Are you running 2-wire or 3-wire? Do you use some of Chris Church mod's? (4k7 resistor, 3-wire....)

It's Churce Audio cardioids with the Church Audio st-9100 pre-amp all terminating in the 1 1/8" stereo jacks. All brand-new. I don't know the exact details but Chris would. I assume it's got all his latest and greatest in it.

I didn't use the windscreens and I didn't use the high pass filter; sounds like either or both of which would have helped. But I didn't use either the two nights before when I saw the same band in similar venues. To my ears it sounded more or less the same, but not to the equipment. It's all so confusing...

Offline drapes

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 11:40:04 AM »
I realize this is a long time coming, but I noticed a couple of other similar threads recently. Replacing the 9v battery in the pre-amp cleared everything up.

I've got to get posting to I can get to 50 and start giving people tickets! I read this site almost every day, but I've got to join in more. Keep up the good work people...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com