Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taking Vocals Out of a Recording  (Read 2573 times)

Offline rustle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
Taking Vocals Out of a Recording
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:30:29 AM »
 I did a search and didn't find any postings on this.

Does anybody have an idea on how to remove the vocals out of a recording? My sister in law asked me to convert a tape to CD and then remove the vocals. She's trying to make a special gift for her Mother, who happens to turn 80 on the 28th.

Thanks,
           Russell
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Too Many Shows!
Re: Taking Vocals Out of a Recording
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 02:03:58 AM »
all i can say is if you want to completely remove vocals, your looking somewhere in the 2-5 or so khz range
which would effect guitar, drums, etc... in that same range, if you want to take them out, your gonna
sacrifice sound quality and it might sound weird, post some more details about the recording and i might
be able to get a better idea about what you are working with, and in no way is this analysis confirmed about
the vocal specs, just a guess from info ive read numerous times before, it could be depending on the persons
voice, anywhere from 2-7khz range, let me know if i can be of any further help or hinderance!
-chris
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 07:50:25 AM »
Thanks Chris,
 I just fired off and e-mail to seek more info. I'll update this thread as soon as I get the info.

Russell

PS: sorry to push you over "69" tickets  ;)
"Once in a while you can get shone the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - J. Garcia, R. Hunter

“Physical discomfort is important only when the mood is wrong. Then you fasten on to whatever thing is uncomfortable and call that the cause. But if the mood is right, then physical discomfort doesn't mean much.” - Robert Pirsig, author, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 05:21:40 PM »
I ran across a free plugin for removing vocals - haven't tried it yet.  Lemme see if I can find the link...

Here it is http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vremover.htm

again - I haven't used it but this guy write tons of really cool little apps.  This is a direct-x plugin so you should be able to get it going with your favorite editor.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 07:01:53 PM »
I did a search and didn't find any postings on this.

Does anybody have an idea on how to remove the vocals out of a recording? My sister in law asked me to convert a tape to CD and then remove the vocals. She's trying to make a special gift for her Mother, who happens to turn 80 on the 28th.

Thanks,
           Russell

russell;

you could try this method. 

i. invert R channel.
ii. subtract R from L = new L
iii. subtract L from R = new R

this is sometimes called "Vocal Cut". the theory behind this method is that the main vocal signals in studio recordings are essentially pretty even in both channels. inverting one channel and subtracting one channel from another in both channel would essentially cancel out the frequencies dominated by the vocals.

CEP has this function in the Effects > Amplitude > Channel Mixer menu.

Karaoke time, eh?  ;D

marc

« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 07:05:41 PM by leegeddy »
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline rustle

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Rock On!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 11:57:56 PM »
dklein and marc
 great help. I'm gonna fool with each approach this weekend. I'll let you know what I like the best.

Karaoke time? Sorta  ;D A little skit my Sister N Law and her sisters (all five of 'em), will be doing for their Mothers' Birthday.

+T you guys. Thanks again.

Russell

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 04:47:48 PM »
sorry to ressurect an old topic...

but...

i am wondering if there been any kind of progress made on this front (aka new, free plugins, etc.)..?

i will try the subtraction method, too...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:50:44 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »
well, there are some plugins out there that claim to do this sort of thing but the results are questionable.  You can download some freeware/shareware programs to try here:  http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

The "subtraction method" is just phase cancellation, it might work to some extent but it's also going to delete any other frequencies that are occurring simultaneously in both channels.  I'd give the freeware a shot if I were you. 

For best results just try to find a karaoke version of the song and use that...or find a midi version and arrange it with Reason or some other program that has capable midi instruments.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »
Out of curiosity, what song are you looking for?  My dad has a big karaoke setup and a bunch of music.  Maybe he's have it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com