Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping gear list - what's missing?  (Read 4947 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping gear list - what's missing?
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:38:06 PM »
Okay, so now that I've bought my mikes and have a good recording unit (Tascam HD-P2), I've been doing some shopping to string it all together into a full-blown rig.  Here's what I have at home or on order so far:

Mike stand (Shure S15A, w/case) - check
Equipment carrying case (Porta Brace QS-A4) - check
Cables (Monster Standard 100 Series) - check
Shock mounts (AKG H 30) - check
Crossbar (AKG KM235/1 Stereo Microphone Bar) - check
Duct tape - *quack!* I mean, check
External power - 12v 45amp 2x3 stick pack from cheapbatterypacks.com

Don't need preamp - HD-P2 has phantom power built in

Now, where do I find these?:

Stakes to hold down mike stand
Small mike umbrellas

Many thanks in advance for the assistance!  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 05:41:32 PM by laptaper »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taping gear list - what's missing?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Okay, so now that I've bought my mikes and have a good recording unit (Tascam HD-P2), I've been doing some shopping to string it all together into a full-blown rig.  Here's what I have at home or on order so far:

Mike stand (Shure S15A, w/case) - check
Equipment carrying case (Porta Brace QS-A4) - check
Cables (Monster Standard 100 Series) - check
Shock mounts (AKG H 30) - check
Crossbar (AKG KM235/1 Stereo Microphone Bar) - check
Duct tape - *quack!* I mean, check
External power - 12v 45amp 2x3 stick pack from cheapbatterypacks.com

Don't need preamp - HD-P2 has phantom power built in

Now, where do I find these?:

Stakes to hold down mike stand
Small mike umbrellas

Many thanks in advance for the assistance!  :)

Looks good so far.  If I could make one suggestion, ditch the duct tape and buy a roll of gaffers tape.  Just as stickey but very easy to pull off and does not leave residue like duct tape does. 

As far as stakes are concerned where are you going to be taping that you'll need stakes.  In 20 years i've been in very few situations that needed to stake down a stand they happen but not often.  I think some folks use stand sandbags instead of stakes.

Umbrellas are to be found at Walmart or BabysR Us.  You want to look for a stroller umbrella.

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:45:52 PM »
stakes can come from an old tent you're not using.  You can also find them at a outdoor supply store such as Gander Mountain.   For the umbrella, go to babys'R us and look for an umbrella designed for a baby stroller.    You also should have decent wind screens, such as the large DPA or Shures.  If you go with the DPAs or smaller, you may want to make some dead rat covers for them.  A flashlight, and a swiss army knife are also sometimes helpful.  Finally, stick some pens and paper in the bag, to give (or get) email addresses. 

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »
Wow, that was quick!  Thanks so much.  I'll definitely get the gaffer's instead of the duct tape - IIRC, one of the local sound engineers was telling me about that.  Windscreens are coming with the mikes, as well as carrying case, boxes, other accoutrements.  The umbrella and stakes info is key, many thanks for that.  OFOTD, I'm not even a rookie at this yet, but what I've seen at various festivals makes me think stakes are going to be mandatory for me - not just for wind, but too often I've seen people enjoying themselves too much come crashing into the little tapers' copse and knock stands over.  The ability to take stakes was the sine qua non in choosing my stand.

Again, thanks so much for the help!  :D

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:16:07 PM »
Dan made many great suggestions. One that he didn't mention and I forgot was that I always pack one of those cheap plastic rain ponchos in my gear bag.  They take up no space and if you are taping festivals they help with not only rain on your gear but dust as well.  You can find one at your local CVS/Walgreens for under $2

Good luck and remember to have fun!

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »
to piggyback, as I forgot about the poncho, I also have a clear garbage bag, neatly folded up in my bag.   I used to also keep a couple gallon sized ziploc bags, but since moving to the R4, they're unfortunately not large enough anymore.  What else is in my bag:  Earplugs, extra AA batteries, extra cables and adapters, headphones and a clamp or two. 

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »
The windscreens that come with your mics are good for a light to moderate breeze at best. If you expect any gusts or a steady wind over 8-10 mph invest in a pair of the big DPAs (0896) or Shures (AW81S); otherwise purchase or make a set of dead rats.

Forgot to take the large screens to a show in a local park this past weekend and got some wind rumble in it. It's not objectionable while the band is playing but it overpowers much of the song intros and I know it's present in many of the songs.

If you go to wallyworld for an umbrella, check the sporting goods section too for a "chairbrella" that clamps to a folding chair. Pretty much the same thing as a stroller umbrella. Less than $5 and if there is no threat of rain it may provide the only shade you see all day.

Only things that havn't been mentioned that I always carry is velcro strips; come in handy for lots of uses, not just for anchoring cables to your stand; and a small flashlight.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:53:27 PM by flipp »

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »
Wow all you guys operate without a flashlight? ;)  Minimag light is essential.

Also that Shure stand may be great for summer festivals, but for theater shows you probably want to pick up a 9 footer.  Search ebay for Dynatran lightstands from Amvona.com.  Dirt cheap and more than adequate for your purposes.
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline tenesejedd

• Taperssection Member
  • Never trust a woman who wears her pants too tight
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 09:35:17 PM »
as far as umbrellas... go to our local sporting goods store and get yourself one of these... perfect size i think.

its called the Drizzle Stick

http://www.worldgolf.com/products/drizzle-stik.htm
Avantone CK-1>Busman T-Mod FR2-LE
Edirol R-1

I see you scissoring me with your eyes...

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
as far as umbrellas... go to our local sporting goods store and get yourself one of these... perfect size i think.

its called the Drizzle Stick

http://www.worldgolf.com/products/drizzle-stik.htm

+T  Gonna go look for one at Dick's tomorrow.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:52:14 PM »
As far as stakes are concerned where are you going to be taping that you'll need stakes.  In 20 years i've been in very few situations that needed to stake down a stand they happen but not often.  I think some folks use stand sandbags instead of stakes.

On the sloped lawn at Pine Knob my stand went down before the opener and my mics took out a cluster of full beers.

I use small-medium aluminum stakes that I bought at a camping store (right after the pine knob show ;-) and small bungy cords.  The stand with umbrella is super stable even in the wind.

As for the chair umbrella, I thnk those are good but I wouldn't trust they ones with the plastic clamp and bendy arm.  I see those and they are almost always supplemented with a bunch of tape.  Take that plastic bendy arm off and use a windteck or LPclaw to mount the umbrella to your stand.  There are threads in the pics forum that show both solutions and its a solution you can throw in place in 20 seconds and requires no tape. 

edit: check these out:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,85933.0.html

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:53:50 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:41:30 PM »
Bungy cords??   ???

Offline dgodwin

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »
I've used bungy cords to bungy to a post, as well as to seats in an auditorium.  I don't have any in the bag, but I've borrowed some on many occasions. 

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:53:21 PM »
As far as stakes go I have used one of those spiral types that you spin/twist into the ground.  One like for a small dog chain, it has a loop on the end of the stake.  I then use 12" rubber straps with the hooks on the end and strap the stand to the stake. easily picked up at walmart cheap.

I have to tell you it would take a hurricane to knock the stand over, its that rock solid.  The only problem is when the soil is too rocky to twist the spike into the ground.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 12:23:23 AM »
to piggyback, as I forgot about the poncho, I also have a clear garbage bag, neatly folded up in my bag.   I used to also keep a couple gallon sized ziploc bags, but since moving to the R4, they're unfortunately not large enough anymore.  What else is in my bag:  Earplugs, extra AA batteries, extra cables and adapters, headphones and a clamp or two. 

That's why Ziploc makes the 2 gallon bags, to fit the larger decks.  A necessity in case of severe rain or overly dusty conditions.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com