Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recommend my first mini dv  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
recommend my first mini dv
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:29:31 AM »
for the most part to be used at shows (open).  good in low light a plus for sure.  less than $500
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: recommend my first mini dv
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »
You're not going to get anything that's amazing in low light for that price range.  You're going to have to spend a couple grand and get something like the Sony prosumer models which have a reputation for the low light capabilities. 

For your price range the Panasonic PV-GS320 or a used GS300 will be a good choice.  The 300 has a mic input and the 320 doesn't.  You can get the GS320 for under $400 online and get some accessories like tapes and batteries.

Offline t34mbtp

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team "BTP" CO-Founder.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »
sony dcr pc 100 ebay has em well under 500.00 and does very well in low light and has a karl zeiss lens great for stealth as well... my .02 enjoy and good luck
NO "I" in T34m Brauh.

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 01:52:29 AM »
i was wondering if dv tapes are better than the hdd based cameras?
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline hummat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »
i was wondering if dv tapes are better than the hdd based cameras?

Yes.  With tape you have a physical backup.  Also, depending on the model, going direct to HDD may use a compression method that is less than optimal for dumping back into a NLE to edit.

-jay

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »
The hard drive camcorders record in MPEG-2 format which is meant to be the final format you convert to for DVD, not the format you begin your recordings with.

MiniDV requires real time transfer of the footage but it offers the advantage of having a physical copy of your footage that will last for a long time.  MiniDV offers a relatively low level of compression and the footage is extremely easy to edit and manipulate with little or no quality loss.  Right now the advantages of sticking with MiniDV still outweigh the disadvantages in my mind and many others.

That Sony camera listed above is a nice camera but is not available new anymore.  The PV-GS320 is still in production and can be found new anywhere.  Go to camcorderinfo.com and search for PV-GS320.  The review page will have links to the best prices from legitimate dealers.  Don't trust any resutls you find with Google.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
The Sony DCR HC96 is just under $500 at bhphotovideo.It has the best low light performance of any Consumer mini dv camera.It has a 1/3" CCD while most others have a 1/6".It also has analog pass thru to digitize your analog footage.I just picked one up myself and compare it to my Sony dcr hc21 and in low light it is a huge improvement and the color is great.The panasonics are nice but in low light can't touch the Sony DCR HC 96.The panasonics have 3ccds yes but only one is used to gather the light information(1/6") and than spread across the RGB ccds(1/6")with a prism to process the red green and blue seperately which does not help with low light.My vote is for the Sony DCR HC96.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com