Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 How to I find out if the mic is a low sens mic  (Read 5713 times)

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
DPA 4061 How to I find out if the mic is a low sens mic
« on: October 27, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »
SSIA

I bought a used DPA 4061 on ebay a while ago.  And recognized that I have difficilties IMO to get enough level during quiter shows even the CA 9100 is turned up to the max.

Received my M 10 from Sony after a few month in repair(in the end Sony did sent a new one) and tested the mic using the "mic in" instead of the "ine in".

Lineage: DPA 4061(low sens ?)-- CA 9 V battery clip- Mic in(PIP off) - M 10.  Both shows were not too loud and I was not close to the source.  My first impression is that the recording came out very good--- kinda brighter --  better balanced ---- less bass than the shows before.

I know that varies from venue to venue and PA to PA.

Anybody has a similar experience....using the "mic in" on the M 10?  Is there a way to find out if the mic a low sens mic?  I like the linegae due to the fact the  >:D that in Europe open taping is the not the nromal thing you do.

SF

Bare with me if the questions are kinda stupid.

SF

Offline nickee

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA 4061 How to I find out if the mic is a low sens mic
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »
As far as I know (and there's nothing on the DPA web that says otherwise) the DPA4061 is the low sense version of the 4060. I.e there's only one version 4061 available, there's a 4062 that's even less sensitive than the 4061. Is it still not loud enough with mic in?

Offline mr qpl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »
what was the setting on the m10? I have a d50 and have no problem with recording quiet material. I use line in only for very loud stuff.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
SSIA

I bought a used DPA 4061 on ebay a while ago.  And recognized that I have difficilties IMO to get enough level during quiter shows even the CA 9100 is turned up to the max.

Received my M 10 from Sony after a few month in repair(in the end Sony did sent a new one) and tested the mic using the "mic in" instead of the "ine in".

Lineage: DPA 4061(low sens ?)-- CA 9 V battery clip- Mic in(PIP off) - M 10.  Both shows were not too loud and I was not close to the source.  My first impression is that the recording came out very good--- kinda brighter --  better balanced ---- less bass than the shows before.

Anybody has a similar experience....using the "mic in" on the M 10?  Is there a way to find out if the mic a low sens mic?  I like the linegae due to the fact the  >:D that in Europe open taping is the not the nromal thing you do.

SF

SF
You can use my preamp with the mic input if you need more gain just crank the 9100 and then slowly turn up the gain on your recorder. This is only for quiet shows.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »
The 4061 is a low sensitivity mic, but if powered properly and not broken it should have enough sensitivity to record most things other than hummingbird wings flapping.

I'd be surprised if you can't get enough gain with the M10 at "unity" gain AND going mic-in AND with the 9100 at max.  That sounds like a broken mic to me.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
what was the setting on the m10? I have a d50 and have no problem with recording quiet material. I use line in only for very loud stuff.

Unity gain is at 4 iand it clocks innewtween -10 and -3 if the music is not to loud 

just listened to last nights recording and I have the same feeling better balanced and better sound.

SF

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
The 4061 is a low sensitivity mic, but if powered properly and not broken it should have enough sensitivity to record most things other than hummingbird wings flapping.

I'd be surprised if you can't get enough gain with the M10 at "unity" gain AND going mic-in AND with the 9100 at max.  That sounds like a broken mic to me.

Mic in works just perfect...battery box CA Ugly, Ca9100, haven't checked the tiny box lately the mics requires a lot of juice.  Quit rock shows the +20 DB seems not to be enough.

SF

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
SSIA

SF

SF
You can use my preamp with the mic input if you need more gain just crank the 9100 and then slowly turn up the gain on your recorder. This is only for quiet shows.

Thanks for all the answers....I will use the mic in for quiter shows in the future and do some testing.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
I had a strange experience with my M10 while testing a pair of DPA4060's I got off ebay.

My chain was 4060's>SP-SPSB-8 batt box>M10.

I tried both mic-in and line-in and could not get much level even at high record level settings.

Yet plugging in AT853's gave me loud recordings at the M10 unity gain setting of 4.0 going line-in.

I ended up using my D50 for the 4060's tests, which gave me plenty of level with the same chain.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
I had a strange experience with my M10 while testing a pair of DPA4060's I got off ebay.

I tried both mic-in and line-in and could not get much level even at high record level settings.

Yet plugging in AT853's gave me loud recordings at the M10 unity gain setting of 4.0 going line-in.

I ended up using my D50 for the 4060's tests, which gave me plenty of level with the same chain.

It's the same with my AT 853s without the 4.7 mod

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »

It's the same with my AT 853s without the 4.7 mod

My AT853's don't have the mod either.

Why would the M10 react to the 4060's so differently from the D50?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »

Hummingbird flight is louder and lower in frequency than many people realize.  :P
I recorded 'em a few years ago flying around my parent's porch (using the more sensitive DPA 4060) and they sound like huge model planes.  They move some serious air for their size.

FYI,
Sensitivity figures for DPA miniature omnis (nominal, ±3 dB at 1 kHz)-
4060 = 20 mV/Pa; -34 dB re. 1 V/Pa
4061 = 6 mV/Pa; -44 dB re. 1 V/Pa
4062 = 1 mV/Pa; -60 dB re. 1 V/Pa
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 02:35:30 AM »

would it make sense to buy an additional DPA 4060 for quiter shows or would it be a waste of money?

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »
^^^ Depends.  If you're really not getting sufficient levels, the 4060s will give you about 10 dB of free gain compared to the 4061s (see Gutbucket's last post).  Another option would be to run a pre-amp that provides the additonal gain you need...Or both for really quiet sources...

Hummingbird flight is louder and lower in frequency than many people realize.  :P
I recorded 'em a few years ago flying around my parent's porch (using the more sensitive DPA 4060) and they sound like huge model planes.  They move some serious air for their size.

I used to have one living in my yard.  When I first moved to that house, and encountered the thing for the first time, I thought I was being dive-bombed by some kind of prehistoric giant insect!  Surprisingly loud.  I could hear that little guy with the windows closed, no problem...

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:19:20 AM »
^^^ Depends.  If you're really not getting sufficient levels, the 4060s will give you about 10 dB of free gain compared to the 4061s (see Gutbucket's last post).  Another option would be to run a pre-amp that provides the additonal gain you need...Or both for really quiet sources...

I used to have one living in my yard.  When I first moved to that house, and encountered the thing for the first time, I thought I was being dive-bombed by some kind of prehistoric giant insect!  Surprisingly loud.  I could hear that little guy with the windows closed, no problem...

I do have preamps...but the shows I recorded were so quite that the 20 DB of the CA 9100 were not enough.  Had to raise levels later and got some hiss.  I do record in 24/48.  But still have the impression that If you raise the volume in post from - 15or -12 that it is not the same as to record in betwenn -6 and -3 and raise the level only a few db.  I know some like it hot and some don't.  IMO if you record on a higher level it sounds better..than recording on a lower level and raising the levels in post.

But maybe I am wrong ....

Still the question for me if it makes sens to buy a used 4060....since I am not recording anything super loud and distortion shouldn't be a problem at all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com