Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07 dual recording post production question ?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline StPatric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Roland R-07 dual recording post production question ?
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »
OK so here's the deal,

last night I did a recording on my Roland R-07 in dual recording mode.
I thought I read you could either do it in the unit itself, or with some app from Roland.
You can merge the two recordings into one recording.
Well more like it takes from the second recording that
is 20db lower when need it need too  ?

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: Roland R-07 dual recording post production question ?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »
Nope.

You just get 2 recordings, one 20db down from the other.

Do anything you like in post, but I'd pick the higher level one unless it's over recorded.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline StPatric

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »
I recorded it with the two recording option so I could push the levels over all in the main recording since it was an acoustic performance over all. I was planning on insert edit the second recording mainly for all the extra chatter that happens between tunes. And there was a huge difference between crowd noise and the performance itself. And I have found that at times that extra volume is over saturated and leaves background noise when you try and get rid of it. I wanted to see if I could get a cleaner sound in the end doing it this way.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »
Perhaps you can, but all that editing is a lot of time.

Why not just use envelope or limiter and knock down the between song stuff, then normalize the whole thing up? Maybe a little parallel compression?

I guess it's just a subjective choice...

Recordings at LMA

Offline StPatric

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
Not sure what envelope or parallel compression is. But I do know that using a limiter or normalize function will introduce noise in it self and should be avoided as much as possible, same goes for compression, not sure about parallel compression ? I also like to keep some dinamic's between the different types tunes and normalize will defeat that. I was trying something different here to see if the final product comes out cleaner in the end that is all.

I do use Izotope ozone and RX Advance to take care of a lot of typical noise ( whistles, cheers, loud talking, clapping, chair noises, doors slamming, etc.,coughing and last but not lease cell phones clicking off taking photos, which cracks me up because cell phone cameras don't have a shutter. It's added noise so you know you took a photo ! ) you get at a live performance. Just want to find a better way to start attacking the over saturated crowd noise between songs. Thanks for your input.

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
This can be done in post production with a Volume Envelope.I use Sony Vegas so i can't explain the way to add a Volume Envelope in your editor.It's easy.....you add the envelope which is just a line and add 2 nodes before and after the section you want to adust the Volume on.Then you drag the line up or down to adjust the volume in that section you added the nodes to.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »
I do know that using a limiter or normalize function will introduce noise in it self
Not so with amplified music, in my experience and that of others who are far more expert/knowledgable. Do you have evidence to support your assertion? I don't mean to argue with you, but I've been researching post processing this past winter, and my first inquiry was whether post processing would degrade sound quality. tldr: in a modern, 32 bit DAW, it won't.

With modern DAW editing software you needn't worry about this much, especially in the case you describe where each source has decent levels to begin with and the overall level change is not dramatic.  The mathematical calculation space in which the summing and level adjustment is taking place is significantly larger than the bit-depth of the recorded input files as well as the target output format.  The data being manipulated fits entirely within that mathematical calculation space with room to spare at the both the low-level and high-level ends of the range.  So regardless of whether you sum first and then tweak level for output, or tweak levels first and then sum to the target output level, the result should be mathematically equivalent. {snipped end of quote}
Maybe it's more noticeable with acoustic music? But is there a pa?

not sure about parallel compression ?
Parallel compression, which I believe is sometimes called 'new york compression' or 'bottom up compression' preserves a great deal of dynamic range while allowing you to boost quieter sections. You can apply as much as you like, and could reduce dynamic range a lot but that doesn't sound good to my ears. Others here have generously schooled me in using the effect to improve my recordings.

Recordings at LMA

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxsywnIKB3E

This shows how to add and use a volume envelope Sony Vegas.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com