Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Remote FLAC Playback Basic Question (probably about the Squeezebox)  (Read 2760 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
I live in a relatively small apartment, but it is not situated such that I can connect my computer directly to my amp.

Because I'm in NYC and I spend most of my listening time at work/on the subway, I use iTunes for pretty much everything.  I also have iTunes playback through my home system via an AirPort Express.

... Yes, I am aware of the issues with lossy playback. 

As I accumulate more and more FLAC files, I would like to be able to play those back directly through my home system without first converting them to MP3s.  But another thing I would REALLY like to do is be able to play back through my home system while editing, rather than having to do it all on headphones.

I also don't want the files to necessarily have to "live" in multiple places.  As in, I'd like the remote device to just play the songs off my current "live music" HDD, rather than physically copy the files there.

Am I correct that a Squeezebox can do almost-all of this, except for the playback while editing part... Is there any other system that will do that?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: Remote FLAC Playback Basic Question (probably about the Squeezebox)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
I've been using a squeezebox for several years now, so I'd recommend one in general.

But if you've already got itunes and an airport express (and I'm assuming a mac), you could use Apple Lossless rather than FLAC as your lossless filetype, then you could play lossless files through your existing setup.  Another alternative is to get the Fluke software to play your FLACs thru itunes, and again you could use your existing system.  I've downloaded Fluke but haven't tried it out yet, but it should be all you need.

Not that any of that helps with listening to your remote main stereo while editing on the computer....
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:45:26 AM »
Airport express is limited to 16 bit audio, whereas other options like the squeezebox can handle 24bit.

I find that a wired solution is almost always more reliable than a wireless one.

In my system, I use long runs of coax cable from the cable company, fitted with f-connector to rca adaptors to run from the output of my sound card directly into my DAC. It always works, and I never have to futz with my wireless network to make my stereo work. And my internet speed is never affected by the streaming of 24/96 files.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
I find that a wired solution is almost always more reliable than a wireless one.

In my system, I use long runs of coax cable from the cable company, fitted with f-connector to rca adaptors to run from the output of my sound card directly into my DAC. It always works, and I never have to futz with my wireless network to make my stereo work. And my internet speed is never affected by the streaming of 24/96 files.

-Noah
While I don't disagree that wired is more reliable than wireless. I seemed to have hit the sweet spot.
I stream 1080P (mkv)movies over my wireless G(it's not an airport though) and it is very reliable. 24/96 obviously isn't an issue streaming over wireless.
I also don't have an issue with internet speed this way due to the fact I treat my wireless as an AP and I have a separate router.
I have an HTPC also so that doesn't really help your situation. In the computer room I just connect the stereo here to the sound card.

What Todd suggested sounds like your best option really. Check out the popcorn hour, it's another option that you may want to consider possibly..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:15:45 AM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com