Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VMS 02 IB external power  (Read 1806 times)

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
VMS 02 IB external power
« on: December 29, 2005, 12:59:18 AM »
Since I'm borrowing a VMS 02 IB now, and hoping to buy one before too long, I wanted to see if anyone else has been able to power this thing externally.  It's supposed to accept DC from 9-16v with a maximum of 0.2 A, so I'd imagine the 9v Lithium Ion (AKA walmart) batteries should power this.   The problem is that I asked the lender, and he said he's had 2 VMS 02 IB, and has never been able to have it run off external power.  Anyone have some positive experiences?  Thanks!

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: VMS 02 IB external power
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 02:00:53 AM »
You can power a VMS 21b from an external power source.  the thing to remember is that it has a reverse polarity.  postive is on the outside and negative is on the inside of the connector.
i can make you a cable to go from the 9v Lithium Ion to the vms 21b if you need one.
thanks
ed

kindkables.com
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:20:18 AM »
this is one of my primary pre-amps and i can say that i've ONLY powered the unit 'internally' a few times, the rest has been exclusively with an external battery.  the way that i power the unit, is that i have a SLA 12V to power the apogee (ad500 or ad1000) and that power cable has a split to the VMS02ib. 

pro-dig made the cable for me, it's pretty simple (just add a fuse in-line and reverse the polarity, like deadhead mentioned above)

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 08:22:43 PM »
I was able to actually use the cable I had for my UA5 to power the VMS box.  I just made sure the tip was -, and it fired up right on the first time.  The guy I borrowed it from was both glad, and pissed at the same time  :D  I still may pick up some kindcables, especially if I definitely buy one (I'm hoping.)  +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com