Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac Software Questions...  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mac Software Questions...
« on: June 11, 2006, 03:28:05 AM »
Now that I've decided to use my new MacBook as my fulltime DAW, I'm trying to figure out what programs are best suited for what we do. Are there any Mac based programs similar to these Windows Apps?:

CD Wav
SHN Tool/Trader's Little Helper
UTorrent*

I've got a copies of Toast and Spark, downloaded Scott's xACT, and already had Audacity, are there any obvious ones I need?

*I downloaded Tomato Torrent, but can't stand the interface...anything (besides Azareus which I hate) you guys would recommend?
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Mac Software Questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 03:33:27 AM »
As a quick followup...I've ran into a couple of problems.

No matter what files I load into Spark, they're listed as 16/44.1. Anyway to change that? I tried a known 24/96 file, attempted to dither/resample, but was given an error as the original and destination have supposedly the same properties.

Also, I've unsuccessfully tried to install Scott Brown's DVD-Audiofile several times now, and keep getting an error message, any other Mac DVD-A programs?
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:37:03 AM »
Now that I've decided to use my new MacBook as my fulltime DAW, I'm trying to figure out what programs are best suited for what we do. Are there any Mac based programs similar to these Windows Apps?:

CD Wav
SHN Tool/Trader's Little Helper
UTorrent*

I've got a copies of Toast and Spark, downloaded Scott's xACT, and already had Audacity, are there any obvious ones I need?

*I downloaded Tomato Torrent, but can't stand the interface...anything (besides Azareus which I hate) you guys would recommend?

I'd recommend reading through all of the Team Mac Geeks team threads, there is alot of good information in there and IMO is particularly useful especially since you're just starting out on a mac.

Basically, there is NO mac equivalent for CD Wav.  That is one program I miss!  I personally track in Audacity (I've gotten used to the clunkiness  ;D).  Scott's xACT is a great program that I use just about every day.

I only use tomato torrent to make torrents, I also got fed up with the interface.  To download and seed torrents, I use this

For an FTP client (for uploading to the LMA) you can use either Fetch, Transmit, One-Button FTP, Cyberduck, or any of the other free/shareware clients that are available around the interweb.

Good luck, Nick.  I'm sure you're going to love making the switch.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:47:15 AM »
Basically, there is NO mac equivalent for CD Wav.  That is one program I miss!  I personally track in Audacity (I've gotten used to the clunkiness  ;D).  Scott's xACT is a great program that I use just about every day.

These two are great...xACT has a fix-SBE feature that will also let you encode to FLAC on the fly, so it's the same number of steps as track in CD-Wave and encode with FrontEnd. Split wherever you want in the editor of your choice, then use xACT to fix and encode in one step.

If you don't like the official BT client, try Transmission: http://transmission.m0k.org/
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:49:58 AM »
No matter what files I load into Spark, they're listed as 16/44.1. Anyway to change that? I tried a known 24/96 file, attempted to dither/resample, but was given an error as the original and destination have supposedly the same properties.

Also, I've unsuccessfully tried to install Scott Brown's DVD-Audiofile several times now, and keep getting an error message, any other Mac DVD-A programs?

The sample/bit rate can be caused by the hardware. You can't have a 24/96 file if the hardware doesn't support it (well you can, but you can't play it without the software changing it, sometimes this is done "automagically" by the application). Check your sound options on the computer itself. Not sure on the MacBooks what they support.

DVD-A applications consist of either the front end Scott put on the DVD-A tools, or buying DiscWelder. I have both and have found that the application Scott put together takes about the 1/4th the time to burn a DVD-A disc as DiscWelder does. It also creates a disc image, so you can save the file. Not so with DiscWelder (that's their next step up in the product line and not made for the Mac).

Anyhow, hope you're enjoying the Mac, I think once you get use to a few things, you'll ever wonder what took you so long in joining the Mac community.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:58:53 AM »

http://crush.epix.net/~scb/dvd-audiofile/DVD-Audiofile0.74.mac.zip

maybe you were trying v.73?  .74 is the version for the intel macs

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:02:23 AM »

1. when you opened the 24/96 file, it said 16/44.1?
2. how did you try to dither and resample?

i haven't looked at spark prefs in a while, but is there a setting to open files at original rate or treat as a specific one? (does that question even make sense?)?

and Wayne, spark can playback 24/96 files on hardware that doesn't support 96khz.  it just does a quick and dirty software resample on playback.  i've been tracking 24/96 for a few years on apple laptops and none had 96khz support

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 11:52:57 AM »
and Wayne, spark can playback 24/96 files on hardware that doesn't support 96khz.  it just does a quick and dirty software resample on playback.  i've been tracking 24/96 for a few years on apple laptops and none had 96khz support

OK, but technically it's still not playing them back, it is doing a resample. ;-)

But, you're also correct, I had no idea Spark did this. (I'll go crawl back into my hole now). ;-)

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com