Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser Headphone Replacement Cables  (Read 5700 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Sennheiser Headphone Replacement Cables
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 09:28:03 PM »
http://www.headphone.com/products/cables/cables-by-others/

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/products/product.php?category=Headphone%20Accessories

Nick, check this out, maybe this has something to do with your senns if they're a bit older:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10937&highlight=sennheiser+cables

I would personally get a stock cable and maybe look for a nice amp to power the senn's.  I got a tube amp and its killer with the hd 580's....veil?  What veil?   ;D

Thanks for the tip gloco, I switched the the left plug and the right plug and the intermittency swapped channels so I'm 99.99% it's the cable.  In regards to the stock cable, it's too late I've already placed my order and should have a new Cardas cable by the end of the week.  I agree the Senns and tube amps mate very well together, I run mine through an x-can v2 and I love the combo.

Excellent!  Glad to hear it was just the cable, please let us know what differences you notice with the cardas when it arrives.   8)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 01:01:50 PM »
Well I've had a chance to break in the Cardas cable and thought I'd share a few thoughts if anyone eles was considering an aftermarket cable for their Sennheisers.  The first thing that struck me about the Cardas cable was the build quality, the Sennheiser plugs are actually molded on unlike some other aftermarket cables which makes for a more secure connection.  The cable itself is a touch stiffer than the stock cable but it's still very manageable.  Overall I like the sound of the cable, the sound is a bit smoother and the soundstage seems much wider when compared with the stock cable.  At the same time the lows seem a bit tighter and more coherent.  The only real downfall is that the high end is a bit recessed and doesn't have a high end sparkle.  I'm pretty sure a silver cable would be better on the highs but at the same time I think it might make it more difficult to listen for an extended period of time.  Overall I'd say the cable is a noticeable improvement over the stock cable, whether or not it is worth the added expense has yet to be determined.

I ended up buying a set of HD-650s a couple days ago so I'll be interested to see how the HD-580s stack up and then I'll make a final determination on the Cardas cable.  Either way it's going to be fun playing with some new toys.  :)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 02:58:58 PM »
+ T-oys !

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »

I ended up buying a set of HD-650s a couple days ago so I'll be interested to see how the HD-580s stack up and then I'll make a final determination on the Cardas cable.  Either way it's going to be fun playing with some new toys.  :)

I'd love to hear your opinion on the 580 vs 650, once they are properly broken in!  I was thinking about getting the 650s for Christmas...ya' know, Merry Christmas to me  ;D

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
HD-580 vs. HD-650 Comparison
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 05:48:30 PM »
[I'd love to hear your opinion on the 580 vs 650, once they are properly broken in!  I was thinking about getting the 650s for Christmas...ya' know, Merry Christmas to me  ;D

Later,
   pjdavep

I've got about 150 hours on the HD-650s and I can safely say that they're really in a different class than the HD-580s.  The most profound difference is the improvement in clarity and resolution, I can hear tiny nuances now that I never heard with the 580s.  This becomes even more apparent when listening to complex music with a lot of texture.  The next biggest difference is in the bass, the HD-650s have more extension and definately have a greater impact.  The midrange is a bit smoother and the highs are slightly more extended when compared to the HD-580s, though these diferences are more subtle.  Overall the HD-580s place more empshasis on the highs and mids than the HD-650s which seem to be more balanced and have greater extension. 

On bass heavy recordings the bass on the HD-650s can be a bit overwhelming and it takes away from the rest of the sound, in this situation I prefer the HD-580s but otherwise I find the HD-650s  to be much more enjoyable and interesting.  That being said the HD-580s are still great cans and I'd still say they're the best headphones I've heard costing under $150.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com