Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Making a music server  (Read 9221 times)

Offline jbraveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Making a music server
« on: April 24, 2006, 02:02:52 PM »
I've been having lots of problems with corruption with a series of maxtor external hard drives that I've been using to serve up music.  I have them connected to a usb hub and then to my lappy.  They seem to die every few months and need to be reformatted.

I would like some suggestions about recommended barebones full sized pc that I can stuff drives into. 

I'm not interested in building this from scratch.  Rather, just putting in some extra drives, 24 bit soundcard, and DVD burner for backups.  I have another computer for doing editing and dvd authoring so processor speed is not so important.  I would like to have speedy drives and interface so backing up to optical media is not too painful.  I'm not interested in RAID since I will be backing things up to DVD and/or my crappy external maxtor drives.

The machine will be stored in a closed cabinet near my entertainment center, so temperature could be a problem.

thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Making a music server
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:12:14 PM »
imo, the things you seem to not be so interested in are kinda crucial to the matter.  if you aren't gonna build it yourself then i guess i would suggest a dell, maybe a Poweredge 830 or even an SC class. and i think Raid is a no-brainer especially if you're running a poweredge.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
www.pricewatch.com will be quite helpful to you i think.

however, if you don't know how to put the pieces in, you might have to suffer with getting a dell or something similar.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »
firstly I think maxtor drives completely blow..  I had one fail just last month and it lasted ONE year with moderate use..  Id recommend seagate absolutely..  verrrrrrry quiet and a 5 year warranty, as opposed to the LOUD maxtor wich had a ONE year warranty..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:10:06 PM »
imo, the things you seem to not be so interested in are kinda crucial to the matter.  if you aren't gonna build it yourself then i guess i would suggest a dell, maybe a Poweredge 830 or even an SC class. and i think Raid is a no-brainer especially if you're running a poweredge.

I know how to put cards in and most likely a hard drive.  Putting a motherboard in a case, may be a stretch for me.

I don't see the advantage of RAID when most of my music will be backed up on optical media.

thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »
well for one there is the cost of the optical media, the time required to back it up, the possibility that the optical backup will fail/degrade/walk away/scratch...   when a raid controller will either cost you about two spindles, or be included - and drives are very cheap these days, again i think it's a no-brainer but if that's not how you choose to go then that's your prerogative. 

putting a mobo in a case is a matter of three screws and two plugs. easy as pie.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:44:14 PM »
you can find some barebone systems online that have the processor, motherboard, and power supply in the case already.  Sometimes you can even get the ram too, but thats fairly easy to do yourself.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 05:10:39 PM »
firstly I think maxtor drives completely blow..  I had one fail just last month and it lasted ONE year with moderate use..  Id recommend seagate absolutely..  verrrrrrry quiet and a 5 year warranty, as opposed to the LOUD maxtor wich had a ONE year warranty..

I would completely go the opposite way than this post.  Maxtor is damn near the only brand I would buy period.  I now have 14 300GB Maxtor drives in my media server and have not had a single problem with any of them, period.   The Hitachi drives suck!  The last Seagate I had had a great warranty and I sure did use it.  Three times to be exact until I gave up and made the switch to Maxtor full time.

Now if you just always buy the cheapest drive from the cheapest line they sell then you get what you pay for.  But if you buy on their mid level lines you shouldn't have any problems with any of them. 

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 06:14:59 PM »
well for one there is the cost of the optical media, the time required to back it up, the possibility that the optical backup will fail/degrade/walk away/scratch...   when a raid controller will either cost you about two spindles, or be included - and drives are very cheap these days, again i think it's a no-brainer but if that's not how you choose to go then that's your prerogative. 

putting a mobo in a case is a matter of three screws and two plugs. easy as pie.

How hard is it to configure once it's put together?

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »

I would completely go the opposite way than this post.  Maxtor is damn near the only brand I would buy period.  I now have 14 300GB Maxtor drives in my media server and have not had a single problem with any of them, period.   The Hitachi drives suck!  The last Seagate I had had a great warranty and I sure did use it.  Three times to be exact until I gave up and made the switch to Maxtor full time.

Now if you just always buy the cheapest drive from the cheapest line they sell then you get what you pay for.  But if you buy on their mid level lines you shouldn't have any problems with any of them. 

yeah not sure whether my drive was from the "cheap" line, but it began to fail exactly one month after one year..  I have since moved to two seagate drives and they seek faster, are much less noisy, and the warrenty rocks(like I said)..   hmm.. how old are these maxtor drives of yours?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:30:09 PM »

I'd suggest going to the Refirbished/open box section of the dell.com website and checking out their inventory.  Two months ago, I scored a 2.8Ghz dual-core Intel Processor computer with an 140gb drive, cd burner, 512kb of memory, and XP pro for $535/shipped.  Their inventory constantly changes (like every 15 minutes), so check back often and if you find something you like, pounce on it quick.  Make sure you get a larger tower version and you'll be able to throw in quite a few storage drives for your server.  I've ordered my last three computers with this method and have been very happy (never had to use the warranty).  Dells are also fairly quiet.

As for drives, I agree about the comment that OFOTD made about getting the mid/upper line of drives - that was a very good point.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:06:15 PM »

I'd suggest going to the Refirbished/open box section of the dell.com website and checking out their inventory.  Two months ago, I scored a 2.8Ghz dual-core Intel Processor computer with an 140gb drive, cd burner, 512kb of memory, and XP pro for $535/shipped.  Their inventory constantly changes (like every 15 minutes), so check back often and if you find something you like, pounce on it quick.  Make sure you get a larger tower version and you'll be able to throw in quite a few storage drives for your server.  I've ordered my last three computers with this method and have been very happy (never had to use the warranty).  Dells are also fairly quiet.

As for drives, I agree about the comment that OFOTD made about getting the mid/upper line of drives - that was a very good point.

Later,
   pjdavep

+t thanks for the tip

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 12:58:15 PM »

yeah not sure whether my drive was from the "cheap" line, but it began to fail exactly one month after one year..  I have since moved to two seagate drives and they seek faster, are much less noisy, and the warrenty rocks(like I said)..   hmm.. how old are these maxtor drives of yours?

Well the current 300GB drives that I use are all new within the lasy 18 months or so.   They are all in the DiamondMax 10 line of drives.  I am using both the SATA 150 and now the SATA 300 drives.  The SATA 300's smoke the 150's btw.    Alot of people usually will just buy the cheapest drive on sale at Best Buy or something but I've found that if you just search a little bit longer you can find the same price thereabouts on a drive a line or two up from the one at BB or Circuit City.  I have purchased several of mine off of newegg.com from their daily deals sale. 

Building a music/media server really is a lot of fun.  Mine started off with an old computer running a couple of external hard drives to my current server which runs a P4 3.0ghz, 1GB of RAM and a little over 4,300 gigs of hard drive space.  Currently I am adding a new HD capture card to it to use a a Tivo-like box as well. 

Start off easy and build piece by piece.  You can find great barebones systems all sorts of places.  Newegg, Dell outlet (great suggestion pjdavep) and your local Fry's if you have one.  Remember that when building a media server you don't need the power of your regular machine at all.  You could most likely get away with a sub 1.2Ghz  processor like a P3 or older Celeron.  Where you want to put your money is in the drives.  With the 300's I use selling for $85 bucks now getting quality is so much easier.

You can also find great deals on motherboard/processor combos.  I've seen acceptable combos go for $75 add a $40 case, $50 of RAM and one of the 300gb $85 hard drives and you're set for less than $300 total.   If you know how to use a screwdriver you have all the tools you'll need.  Remember that most motherboards come with built-in LAN as well as some having 24bit audio playboack possible.  Pretty good deal.

Don't be scared by building your own. 

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 03:18:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  The refurbed Dell servers looks like a nice way to start.  I defnitiely would like to keep the cost of the basic box down in the $300-500 range.

Offline wtf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:27:54 AM »
There are also a variety multi bay external hd enclosures.  Some support RAID/SATA/etc.  Run on usb or firewire.  Might be easier/cheaper.  Just a thought.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com