Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: 24 bit DVD-A and a playback system  (Read 12724 times)

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Take Time to Listen!
TSKB: 24 bit DVD-A and a playback system
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:41:32 PM »
TS-
I have checked the playback archives, and dabbled in the playback forum.
What Im wanting to do is a 3 step thing. These span a few different topic categories, so I figured the open forum would be the best place for this post.

1) what is a good dvd audio disc player to get (is it possible to get one that can also playback cds - probably not but..)
2) Im using Nero to burn cdr ands dvd data discs. I checked the dvd options, and didnt see a dvd-audio option, am I missing something or do I need a duifferent burning option?

Thanks for the help. I hope to be 24 bit by the Oh7
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: TSKB: 24 bit DVD-A and a playback system
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:45:56 PM »
RE: DVD-A

wavelab will burn them. and there are a few other free applications that will also burn dvd-a

DVD-A players are capable of playing CD's and many of them can also play SACD's

players will depend on your budget. I took the advice of many on this board and went with the pioneer elite DVD player. The newer model is the 45a its MSRP is 350.00

Link to pioneer site:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069743_35168,00.html

DVD-A Software discussion
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72211.0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:47:30 PM by kindms »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 03:49:28 PM »
Denon and Pioneer make some nice multi format players that will play back CD, audio-DVD, and DVDA.   Audiogon is your friend.  You don't need to spend a lot of money to get in.   I have a denon but I've played with a pioneer and both produced excellent soudn out the analog audio ports.

Nero can be used to burn file structure or image to DVDA or audio DVD but you need an authoring program.  In the computer recording forum there are threads that describe a free DVD-A tool or you can buy audio-DVD creator for about $40.   I use audioDVDcreator to author the DVD file structure and Roxio to burn to media.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »
I would look at some of the MARANTZ DVD-a players. They play DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD-Multi, SACD-Stereo, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, SVCD, VCD, CD, CD-R/CD-RW, MP3, WMA, JPEG, DiVX and start at like $600 to $2,000. They are not a lot of money and they sound good for the money.

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »
Ditto the Pioneer DVD Audio player reccomendation.  Beware of other vendors that intterupt the PCM bitstream during playback at track gaps.  Many other vendors will introduce a small gap themselves or the intteruption in the digital out causes your external D>A to have to resynch on the clock and you get a short half second or so gap.  The one drawback to Audio DVD Creator is it uses the DVD Video standard rather than the DVD Audio standard to encode the Audio.  the result is a more widely compatible lower resolution audio recording.  It still sounds good and does have some other attractive features (track names, slideshows, etc.)

This site linked in another post basically has all the info you will need....

http://24bit.turtleside.com/

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:21 PM »
The one drawback to Audio DVD Creator is it uses the DVD Video standard rather than the DVD Audio standard to encode the Audio.  the result is a more widely compatible lower resolution audio recording.

How does a 24/96 audio DVD-V have lower resolution than a 24/96 DVD-A? 

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:33:32 PM »
The one drawback to Audio DVD Creator is it uses the DVD Video standard rather than the DVD Audio standard to encode the Audio.  the result is a more widely compatible lower resolution audio recording.

How does a 24/96 audio DVD-V have lower resolution than a 24/96 DVD-A? 

It's my understanding the the software will only do PCM at 48/16 otherwise you are looking at AC3 compression at higher bitrates.  Did this change?  Their site is a little sparse on details and they got rid of the forums.

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

I've just had good luck with Scott's software and he is also a TS.com member. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 04:39:53 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:42:34 PM »
It's my understanding the the software will only do PCM at 48/16 otherwise you are looking at AC3 compression at higher bitrates.  Did this change?

AFAIK, audio DVD creator has always supported 24/96 LPCM.  I've always used it for 24/96 without problems, although some people report some issues with firmware in inexpensive players.

Nothing wrong with fluffing the free tools :-), I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a misunderstanding.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:20:30 PM »
It's my understanding the the software will only do PCM at 48/16 otherwise you are looking at AC3 compression at higher bitrates.  Did this change?

AFAIK, audio DVD creator has always supported 24/96 LPCM.  I've always used it for 24/96 without problems, although some people report some issues with firmware in inexpensive players.

this is my experience as well.  No issues at all

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »

I use the Denon DVD-1920 for playback of CDs and DVD-A etc.  so far it has worked well for me.

Ive burned DVD-A discs using Nero, after preparing them using scott brown's DVD-Audiofile.

for audio-dvd, i tried out Lplex last week, and it worked well.  it was at 24/48.  never used audio-dvd-creator.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 06:48:49 PM »
what's the consensus on using wavelab 5.01b to create the dvd-audio discs?
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 07:04:27 PM »
I had used the Pioneer Elite 45a for a couple years and found that to be very good for the money.  That said, I've found the Onkyo SP1000 to be much better for DVD-A/SACD, CD, and DVD playback. 

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »

I've been using Wavelab v5.00a to author dvd-a's for about a year now with no problems. Once I create the .iso in wavelab, I then use Nero to burn the iso image to dvd-r.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »

I've been using Wavelab v5.00a to author dvd-a's for about a year now with no problems. Once I create the .iso in wavelab, I then use Nero to burn the iso image to dvd-r.

:hmmm: I think I can figure that out. make an iso image thing in wav lab, save it, then use nero to burn it to a dvd-video?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 11:37:47 PM »
Here's an older thread with some steps to author or burn dvd-a using wavelab. I'm sure there's a newer thread out there but I just did a quick search and couldn't find it.

http://www.taperssection.com/index.php?topic=22351.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com