Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on Using AT831 Microphones  (Read 764 times)

Offline Pieteker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Advice on Using AT831 Microphones
« on: October 25, 2023, 08:09:56 AM »
Hi,

I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of AT831 microphones at a good price. I'm interested in using them as backup mics with my small Sony MD-N505, which only has a LINE-IN port.

The seller mentioned that these microphones require phantom power, but I've heard of tapers who successfully connected the mini-XLR output to a mini-jack adapter and then plugged it directly into the recorder via the MIC-IN/LINE-IN port.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance on this setup.

Regards,

Pieter

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Re: Advice on Using AT831 Microphones
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 08:36:39 AM »
You mean the Sony MZ-N505?

The AT831's need a power supply.  I just looked at the manual for your Sony.  I don't see a thing about PIP and there is no MIC IN.  I generally suggest a battery box for AT831 and 853 setups.  Seems from a quick look like you will need one.  However, someone might have some experience with this device and can offer more info.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 08:44:41 AM »
OKAY, that makes sense.

Could I then connect the mics with an XLR to MINI-JACK cable to (for example) a Soundman A3 Adaptor or SP-SPSB-10 and then plug it into the LINE-IN of the Minidisc recorder?

The setup would look like this: AT831 > Soundman A3 Adaptor > MZ-N505

P.S. If I were to buy two AT831's, could I then connect them using a Stereo Breakout cable to the battery box and into the recorder?

Regards,

Pieter

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 07:10:17 AM »
Could I then connect the mics with an XLR to MINI-JACK cable to (for example) a Soundman A3 Adaptor or SP-SPSB-10 and then plug it into the LINE-IN of the Minidisc recorder?

If I were to buy two AT831's, could I then connect them using a Stereo Breakout cable to the battery box and into the recorder?
First question: Yes, exactly.
Second question: Yes, technically, but... you will have to pan one channel left and one channel right in post.  Both will record a mono center and it will be up to you to pan L and R.

Those of us using AT831 generally have modified pairs that run to a single 3.5mm male plug.  What you are suggesting *should* work, but I do not have experience.  Sounds exactly like any other setup like this though.  For example... Line Audio CM4s > xlr cables > Edirol UA-5 > RCA cables > 3.5 cable > Sony M10.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline Pieteker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 01:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com