Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Earthworks SR71s  (Read 7088 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Earthworks SR71s
« on: February 23, 2003, 07:43:19 PM »
anyone know anything about these mics?

looking for some advice as im thinking about picking a used set of them up

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Earthworks SR71s
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 09:24:06 PM »
I can honestly say, you will be much happier with the sr-77's, and they don't cost a whole lot more on the used market.  However, you might like the sr-71's.  Go over to archive, download some shows with the 71's, and let us know what you find!

Daryan

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 09:27:02 PM »
If you're willing to be patient, listen to a bunch of different recordings before choosing mics.  'Course, I couldn't help myself and dove right in...changing mics 4 times in a little over a year.  My name is Brian and I'm a gear slut...   :o

Here's a thread that touches on the SR71s a bit (along with a bunch of prattle):

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/viewthread.mv+thread=5132&message=5141

Given it's been around longer, there's loads of info/opinion on the Oade board.  Search for "Earthworks" or "SR71" or "SR-71" in the Technology, Community, and Forum Archive sections.  Likewise for other mics or gear you're considering.

I've never run them, but from what I've gathered through hearsay is the Earthworks SR71 sound great up front and have nice detail, but not as good from the section - a bit distant, and regardless of application lack the umph in the low end many people like.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 09:28:31 PM »
I can honestly say, you will be much happier with the sr-77's, and they don't cost a whole lot more on the used market.  However, you might like the sr-71's.  Go over to archive, download some shows with the 71's, and let us know what you find!

Daryan

Uhmmmmm...yeah!  What Daryan said...   ;D
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 09:39:45 PM »
Another thing, find scott brown, and listen to some of his old sr-77 tapes...admittedly they are dmb, but ya know ;)  I think, and don't quote me on this, but I think that earthworks are some of the more neutral sounding mics.  I will try to get in touch with this taper chick I know from Ames who runs 77's and an mp-2, then shoot you a comparision with my mbho's.

Daryan

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 11:49:18 PM »
Look at that thread - no one got his feathers ruffled! And that was in November...
Fascinating. Have things at Oade changed that much since then?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 09:56:12 PM »
i ran sr77s > mp2 for over 2 years, made some killer tapes.  they are very neutral, and have a natural bass roll off.  i highly recommend them...

my ears also hear more low end and detail in the 77s than the 71s, even though EW said 71s were simply 77s that didn't meet specs......

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 11:51:23 AM »
Hi All,

I, too, have made recordings with the SR 71's and 77's side by side.  I did find that with the pairs I had, the low-end was a bit more pronounced and the high-end a bit smoother on the 77's.

At Earthworks, as others have indicated, the SR77's were considered cream of the crop 71's.  They are the same capsules but the best ones got labelled 77's.  Still, it is possible to find 71's that are indistinguishable from 77's.

I hope this helps.

Marc

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 08:16:00 PM »
Not to be a dick, but just to be representative of the other opinion...I can't STAND these mics. I've never used them FOB...so perhaps they do make good tapes up close. But at any distance (and I mean even in a small/medium club) they blow. Thin and tinny. I know that they're cheap. But I'd pick almost any of the other mics in the same price range over the SR71's or 77's.
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2003, 08:18:49 PM »
And, just to follow that, who the hell wants to run from way back anyway?  Half of the fun is getting up front and shooing away the wooks!

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com