Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Selection of gear for 'Semi-Pro' location recording (not music)  (Read 3120 times)

Offline mahoobley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I am looking at building up some equipment to do some location recording, specifically for the purpose of building up a sound effects library (eg typical tasks might involve wandering around a park and finding things that make sounds like breaking a twig etc, or round a factory and recording noises machines make). Typical recordings will be through a mono mic or stereo binaurals so no more than 2 channels is required.

I have done alot of hunting round the web looking for what things to buy, asking questions on various forums but can't seem to work out exactly what I need. I recently found this forum and had a search around - unfortunately it seems to have brought up more questions than answered! :)

Anyway, the list of equipment I had previously settled up was this:

Sennheiser K6 + ME66 Rifle Mic
Core Sound Binaural Mic set
Deneke AD20 preamp & a/d converter
iRiver IHP-120 20gb

I'm quite happy with the choice of mics, although if I were richer i'd go for the higher range binaurals Core Sound do.

The Deneke AD20 is a compact, belt clip-able stereo preamp with 20-bit A/D - Sounds perfect for the task but I can't find any reviews or opinions anywhere other than on Core Sound's website. Also, I would kind of prefer to find somewhere other than Core Sound to buy this stuff, as I am based in the UK and Core Sound is in the US, and it seems the only methods of paying Core Sound are via Paypal (which I can't use presently) or by sending the money by post, which will take ages and is very risky.

I was all set on the iRiver IHP-120 (or 140 as its not much more expensive) but have read some dodgy things about them on this forum. The 700-odd MB single file limit is not a problem as I probably wont record more than 10 mins in a take, but I also have been reading that they have regular drop-outs in the recording process, which would be unacceptable. Can anyone confirm/deny this? Is anyone recording with the iRiver without drop-outs?

So from what I read here I then considered the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3, however these are getting on a bit now and I would have thought something better would have come along by now. I can't find the 40gb version in the UK anywhere either. Are there any other (preferably compact) HD-recorders that can record uncompressed WAV through a digital in? I believe Philips do one, and what about the newer Creative Zen recorders?

All this gear has come to a price of about £1000 (about $1800) which is acceptable. However, if there is so much hassle with the HD recorders, should I maybe just bit the bullet and get something real pro like the Fostex FR-2 and bring my budget up to £1600 or so?

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Selection of gear for 'Semi-Pro' location recording (not music)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 10:12:53 AM »
This thread may help although your budget is considerably higher, the techniques get a mention:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16336.0

Try pm'ing the taper too.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 05:04:29 PM »
btw, im sure you know this, but a lot of those effects can be better made in a studio by other means.  for example, most rain you hear on soundtracks isnt really rain at all- just rice on tin foil.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 05:23:54 AM »
FWIW< i think the ad/20 would be a great lil pre/ad for your setup, quite a decent beginner rig can be made w/ that lil box :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 05:33:06 AM »
The Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 is a popular choice among digital hobby recordists here.  Your other gear choices seem sound, although bring plenty of 9Vs with you if you go on any extended recording adventures.

Buying used helps keep the price down on gear, and most regulars here have great reputations for selling used gear.  The only thing electronic I have purchased new for recording besides MD crap is my Neuros HD recorder.  Doesn't do digital but   I like it a lot.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 10:01:57 PM »
FWIW< i think the ad/20 would be a great lil pre/ad for your setup, quite a decent beginner rig can be made w/ that lil box :)

And way too noisy for what he wants to do... Get a MP-2 if you are going to go a preamp route, it is quiet enough for sure, and will give  you enough gain...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline mahoobley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 07:25:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.

AT - Are you saying the AD20 is a rather noisy preamp? I was quoted pretty good performance. Who is the MP2 made by?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 07:36:17 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.

AT - Are you saying the AD20 is a rather noisy preamp? I was quoted pretty good performance. Who is the MP2 made by?

the AD-20, or AD-Tinny, has it's limitations but should be fine for what you are doing.  Problems start to arise with very loud noises.

The MP2 was made by Sound Devices.  It was recently discontinued although they are sold used here for $350-$400.  These things are built like tanks and can take a beating.

And so the creator of the binaural technique can stop rolling in his grave, technically binaural is not a type of polar pattern or microphone capsule, although omnidirectional mics can placed in binaural configurations.  Feel free to argue

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com