Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity (osx): How to mix two AUD sources?  (Read 73253 times)

Offline auto_pilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Audacity (osx): How to mix two AUD sources?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
Just done my first matrix following your instructions. Very easy to follow, great results, confident that the effort required to make the two source recordings was worthwhile and shall be doing so again.

The time you took to write this out 2.5 years ago is very much appreciated.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:59 PM »
Nice. Fachin' glad it's still useful!!

I will say that my workflow is a little different now. The main difference, is that the new audacity versions don't make you pick a sample rate before you start, so I do all my mixing at high-resolution now, then create the low-res (cd quality) version from that. The next change is that I decided I don't like Audacity's dither, so I turned it off.

My personal change is that I now use Digital Performer on the mac instead of audacity to do my work, but the old way is still reliable, and you can install all the software you need on any machine for free!! Damn handy on the road, or at mom's house!!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »
I don't understand this, though.  The two files will be different in length anyway because they started at different times and stopped at different times. How do you account for that?  And if you select the link between two set points, it is always going to be the same, at least if you use the "label" function... Am I missing something?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »
The only thing I'd add to morst's excellent instructions is that after saving the matrix, you can load it into the project you're working on.....check for overs and overall ratio.....and if you don't like what you see, dump the matrix from the project and tweak the sources for another try at it.

That way, you don't lose any of your work, and you can iteratively improve the final matrix.    8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline auto_pilot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 02:41:03 AM »
I don't understand this, though.  The two files will be different in length anyway because they started at different times and stopped at different times. How do you account for that?  And if you select the link between two set points, it is always going to be the same, at least if you use the "label" function... Am I missing something?

I've done three matrixes using this workflow now. All of them have a brief period at start and end where they're single-source after I've time-aligned. Most of this disappeared at the start of the show when I tracked the matrix, and at the end there's very little audience in the SBD source anyway so it's pretty much inaudible.

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
We're dealing with a small amount of drift between two different R-44's.  The drift ends up being about 110 milliseconds per hour.  The problem with "time stretch" in Soundforge is that this amount of stretching is too small.  Soundforge won't let me stretch anything below 100.01%, which is about 500 milliseconds. 
Any ideas?
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline auto_pilot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
We're dealing with a small amount of drift between two different R-44's.  The drift ends up being about 110 milliseconds per hour.  The problem with "time stretch" in Soundforge is that this amount of stretching is too small.  Soundforge won't let me stretch anything below 100.01%, which is about 500 milliseconds. 
Any ideas?

The 'change speed' option in Audacity seems to have worked fine with 0.005% and 0.009% for the matrixes I've done so far

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
:)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Any ideas?

Divide the times into each other on a calculator,
change into a percentage difference,
copy the EXACT number from the calculator,
and paste it into Audacity's Speed Change.

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »

I've never gotten the paste to work and have to type it manually. No biggie, but a minor pain.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »

I've never gotten the paste to work and have to type it manually. No biggie, but a minor pain.

New software has a tendency to be more frustrating than what it replaces.... :P

You'll laugh.....I'm still on 1.2.6

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 04:14:01 AM »
marking thread!
thanx!  ;D
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 01:37:08 AM »
Bump for great thread going to page 2 and for probably a pointless question:

When adjusting the speed, are there any advantages/disadvantages to whether you lengthen the shorter track or shorten the longer track?  Normally I've found they're only fractions of a second off so I'm assuming it doesn't matter, but for whatever reason I seem to feel lengthening the shorter one would be better for some reason.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »
Bump for great thread going to page 2 and for probably a pointless question:

When adjusting the speed, are there any advantages/disadvantages to whether you lengthen the shorter track or shorten the longer track?  Normally I've found they're only fractions of a second off so I'm assuming it doesn't matter, but for whatever reason I seem to feel lengthening the shorter one would be better for some reason.

I don't think it matters. A more pressing concern is to not stretch the source that will make the base of your mix. If you normalize both tracks to the same RMS level and then decide you want to use 70% of the sbd, then I'd stretch the room pull as each resample may induce further artifacts to the recording and I'd want the lesser used source to suffer compared to my base.

Whether that matters, I don't know, but it's no skin off my back to do it that way.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:50 PM »

I have not tried it in this particular setting, but many times when you cannot right click "copy" or "paste," you can do it by using the keyboard commands, "Control + "C" [copy] and "Control + "V" [paste].
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com