Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best rechargable AAA's?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Best rechargable AAA's?
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »
Any recommendations?  I know the Sanyo 2700 are top of the game for AA's, but I'm looking to get 6 AAA's to keep in rotation for my flashlight.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Best rechargable AAA's?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
I use and can recommend Maha/Powerex Imedion for rechargable NiMH AA's, AAA's and 9.6V's.  Imedions are low self-discharge type and have performed very well for me.  They're comprable to Sanyo Eneloop.  I use Maha chargers with all of them, but the only ones that actually require a dedicated charger are the high voltage 9.6V's.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation!  I'm noticing that Powerex makes more AAA's than the type you've recommended and that some of their other AAA's are up to 1000mAh (compared to yours, which are 800 mAh).  I am no power genius, but as I understand it, it's generally a good rule of thumb that higher mAh is better.  Could you expand on what makes this lower power capacity battery better than the higher capacity battery?

EDIT: and my charger is the MHC-9000:
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
mAh = milli Amp hour.

More = longer run time.

Think of it as the size of the batteries gas tank.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
mAh = milli Amp hour.

More = longer run time.

That's what I've always understood to be the case and it makes me wonder why someone is recommending a lower than optimum mAh battery. 

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »
The Immedion batteries use a different formulation that allows them to retain their charge for a longer period of time.  "normal" nimh batteries start to self-discharge pretty quickly and generally become pretty fully discharged within a month -- I'd personally trade a bit of ultimate capacity for the charge stability permitted by an extended charge formulation as I've had a bit of concern regarding "topping off" partially discharged nimh batteries a few weeks after recharge.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
That's definitely an interesting trade off.... I may have to think about what means more to me.  The application is a Mag-Lite LED XL-50 flashlight, if that makes any difference in the consideration.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »
If for a flashlight, I'd go with the ones gutbucket recommends.  even at 800mah, they're comparable in output to alkaline aaa batteries and would demonstrate comparable shelf life to alkaline aaa batteries.  In other words, if you went with "normal" nimh batteries and hadn't charged them for a few weeks , the batteries' self-discharge "feature" would likely have eaten much of their underlying capacity and cause the flashlight to die pretty quickly (regardless of mah rating) -- otoh, with the slow discharge batteries, you'd be a lot closer to the initial charge capacity and would enjoy a brighter life . . .

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
mAh = milli Amp hour.

More = longer run time.

That's what I've always understood to be the case and it makes me wonder why someone is recommending a lower than optimum mAh battery.

LSD - Low Self Discharge batteries are what you really need.  These are typically lower mAh batteries but they ultimately hold their charge longer. 

The Sanyo Eneloop series are great LSD batteries, search for them. . .

edit to add:
You can buy them from Amazon link here or elsewhere

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:37:30 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »
It's true that the self-discharge rate of nimh batteries is a significant consideration.

Good flashlights have regulators to maintain consistent output even as the battery voltage drops, and to account for the voltage difference between alkaline vs. nimh.

Junk flashlights do not.  A lot of flashlights have cool looking machined cases but junk internals.

It makes a big difference.  Fortunately, the common flashlights are getting better.

Sites like candlepower forums measure flashlight output as the cells discharge, etc.  You might check over there for battery recs.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
The Immedion batteries use a different formulation that allows them to retain their charge for a longer period of time.  "normal" nimh batteries start to self-discharge pretty quickly and generally become pretty fully discharged within a month -- I'd personally trade a bit of ultimate capacity for the charge stability permitted by an extended charge formulation as I've had a bit of concern regarding "topping off" partially discharged nimh batteries a few weeks after recharge.

Also, in my experience, low self discharge batteries like the Immedions seem to last a lot longer before going bad. I had a lot of regular NiMh's lose a lot of capacity well before their time.

I will never use anything but batteries like the Immedions in the future.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 10:17:26 PM »
Very good discussion, thanks for it!  I may very well be sold on the 800's now  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com