Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PS2-AD20 batt life / indoors vs. outdoors / warm vs. cold?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
PS2-AD20 batt life / indoors vs. outdoors / warm vs. cold?
« on: April 04, 2006, 05:30:31 PM »
hey fellas....ive been running C4's>PS2>AD20>jb3 for long enough now to know how much recording time I can achieve with standard 9 volt alkaline batts in my favorite indoor venue, however at suwanee springfest my power consumption went way up taping outdoors from FOB....is this due to the fact that the gain on the AD20 was higher than I usually run indoors, or was it the 38* weather the batteries were subjected to, or a combination of the two?  Just wondering about this to be better prepared for my next outdoor fest.  Thanks in advance!
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: PS2-AD20 batt life / indoors vs. outdoors / warm vs. cold?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:09:43 AM »
I would start using rechargable external power supplies... NiMH 9.6 v batteries - 2 3000 mAh in parallel used to last me 10+ hours... indoors or outdoors with that combination. I bought 6 of them for 3 day festival power, and never even came close to having an issue.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »
According to Denecke's site:  http://www.denecke.com/products.htm

AD20 - 8-10 hours

PS2 - 4-38 hours (depending on load)

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:16:03 AM »
FWIW, i never got much past 2 hours out of a 9v batt with the PS2 powering my TLs.  The AD20, I would get about 6-7 h from with stadard 9V... but i never trusted it... plus i hated using so many alkaline batteries.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

Offline T-90

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:18:12 AM »
I would start using rechargable external power supplies... NiMH 9.6 v batteries - 2 3000 mAh in parallel used to last me 10+ hours... indoors or outdoors with that combination. I bought 6 of them for 3 day festival power, and never even came close to having an issue.

4 powerex NiMH 9.6 v batteries and car charger will arrive today :)

According to Denecke's site:  http://www.denecke.com/products.htm

AD20 - 8-10 hours

PS2 - 4-38 hours (depending on load)

nothing like a nice tight range....4-38 hrs.....LOL

Thanks for the thoughts fellas, +t's
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman

Offline T-90

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 11:19:38 AM »
FWIW, i never got much past 2 hours out of a 9v batt with the PS2 powering my TLs.  The AD20, I would get about 6-7 h from with stadard 9V... but i never trusted it... plus i hated using so many alkaline batteries.

yup...PS2 was done and AD20 still had half batt life....sounds about right

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the powerex batteries you're referring to are the same size as a normal 9 volt alkaline, they're not going do any better time-wise than the alkaline batteries you're currently using.  Likely they'll provide LESS time per battery than alkalines. 

The best solution for the ps2/ad20 is to build an external battery pack using either the walmart 9volt lithium ion battery or a 9.6 volt, 2000mah (over 10x the capacity of the powerex batteries you bought) radio controlled car battery pack.

Offline T-90

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the powerex batteries you're referring to are the same size as a normal 9 volt alkaline, they're not going do any better time-wise than the alkaline batteries you're currently using.  Likely they'll provide LESS time per battery than alkalines. 

The best solution for the ps2/ad20 is to build an external battery pack using either the walmart 9volt lithium ion battery or a 9.6 volt, 2000mah (over 10x the capacity of the powerex batteries you bought) radio controlled car battery pack.

please feel free to bear all the bad news you like :)  the walmart 9volt lithium ion battery or a 9.6 volt rc batt is on the list....I needed to get some reg 9 volt rechargeables anyway, so I was gonna try them and see what they do.....thanks for the news :)  Really I was just wanting to know if the cold and higher gain levels did that much damage to the batt life or did I just have some bad batts....the PS2 really sucked em' down that night.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:49:45 PM by T-90 »

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »
FWIW, i don't think the cold would, but the increased gain might have.

also, if you switched mic cables, it can make for different battery lives... all the silver cables and silver-clad copper cables seem to drain batteries faster than copper.  more electorns to push around equals more current drain.

Offline T-90

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »

also, if you switched mic cables, it can make for different battery lives... all the silver cables and silver-clad copper cables seem to drain batteries faster than copper.  more electorns to push around equals more current drain.

had to have been the higher gain settings.....everything else was the same except outdoor windys....dont see that causing extra battery drain....

FWIW - the powex 9.6 volt recharge-ables are lasting 3-1/2 hours in the PS2 and 4-1/2 in the AD20 in the test runs so far....a few cycles may increase run time....this is about the same I was getting with standard alkaline so these will be OK for now....they charge in 2 hours and my charger does 4 at a time.

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 02:08:15 PM »
DEFINATELY go with the 3000mah RC batts.  To give you an idea of how well they work, I've accidentally left them plugged into my gear overnight and all of the next day, with everything connected, after recording a show, and gone on to record another show the next night with no problems.  They'll go for hours and hours and hours.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 04:53:15 AM »

you really think that HQ cables drain batteries faster than say, canares star-quads?

anyone have any insight on this? maybe a technical answer?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »

you really think that HQ cables drain batteries faster than say, canares star-quads?

anyone have any insight on this? maybe a technical answer?

I have never, ever gotten a the low battery light to flash on my V3 during a show running with copper cables... every time i run silver-clad cables i get the low battery light at ~3.75 hours.  this is anecdotal currently, but i have heard similar stories from other folks.

i am pretty sure that the better conductivity of the cables has something to do with it... better conductivity is more electrons being pushed... while the cable may be more efficient in how it conducts the electricity as well, it is highly unlikely that the small gain in efficiency will overpower that large gain in total conductivity, thereby draining more power faster...  just a theory, but, IME, it is true.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:18:36 PM by Andrew Pierce »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.456 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com