Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split cardioid's?  (Read 11345 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Split cardioid's?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 11:39:54 AM »
directional mics are subject to the proximity effect

Proximity effect is the increase in the low-frequency sensitivity of a microphone when the sound source is close to it. This is particularly true of cardioid, directional microphones. To counter that, most high-end directional microphones use a low-frequency roll-off filter to restore the response to its flat, natural balance. Some microphones have a user-selectable switch to control the filter.

I'd buy that... but I've ran on-stage w/ hyper's before and had no problem. I'm going to chalk this one up to "not being completely familiar with my new equipment" and possibly "not using a bass roll-off". Not to mention I don't "shower regularly", nor do I "brush my teeth" or "wash behind my ears".

moral of this story...keep the damn 463's, Steve! ;D

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 11:44:34 AM »

Well, if there was a way to run them with active cables AND my mod'd bodies, I would keep them. I could do some experimenting and tinkering with the A61 swivel adapters and try to make them into an active unit of some sort... but I'm no audiophile gearhead....
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

marc0789

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »

Well, if there was a way to run them with active cables AND my mod'd bodies, I would keep them. I could do some experimenting and tinkering with the A61 swivel adapters and try to make them into an active unit of some sort... but I'm no audiophile gearhead....

when do you need actives? use the at's for stealth, the akgs for open. I can't think of one situation where you can't get away with full bodies fob or onstage here in town.

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 12:26:04 PM »

I couldn't agree more!

PM sent
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:56:32 PM by goose »

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 01:51:17 PM »

when do you need actives? use the at's for stealth, the akgs for open. I can't think of one situation where you can't get away with full bodies fob or onstage here in town.

You're totally right.... the problem is, I see myself taping less and less as the years go by. I'm tired of seeing the same old bands.... I look at festival line-up's like Bonnaroo, Wakarusa, etc. and out of 100 bands listed there are maybe 2-3 I'd be excited to see anymore. How many times can I go see MMW, SCI, Mule... I've seen them all 7-10 times and barely listen to the shows I've got. I guess I'd like to hit more/other genre's of shows more often, but many of those bands don't allow open taping... thus, I wouldn't be able to use the AKG's anyway. I'd actually like to keep them for the principle... they're great mics and I love them... but if someone else can get some good use out of them, I'd rather unload them. Fwiw, Dean is considering buying them from me... so they'd still stay in the Twin Cities at least. :-\

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 09:34:41 PM »
my last set up using my new'ish SP C3 LD mics was a split card deal at the Artists Quarter.  Happy Apple's third night in a row  and I'd run omnis split at the lip.  wasn't getting much in the way of sound from the PA sitting underneath them as it was.  So I swithched them to card, spaced them about 5-6' in an A-B orientation.  Then I ran my other deck using AT/es943/omnis in a binaural "head" that I made and used that to capture the PA material from a bit further back in the room.  Matrixed the omni w/the cards and it doesn't sound too bad... Sorry your effort was less than satisfying.  You disapoint the band I'm sure. ;)

Well, I figured out that my bass roll-off switch was off (new gear, ugh!) so I'm blaming that as the #1 culprit of bassiness. I have no fear of running that way again.... I look forward to trying it from the post on 4/3 for Drew Emmitt. :)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 10:32:11 AM »
phish 12-29-95, split mk4's ~10ft.
unreal quality, one of the best ever IMO

http://db.etree.org/shninfo_detail.php?shnid=20748
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 12:17:05 PM »

Definitely. I think the bigger the venue the better chance of a great recording w/ split card's -- at least there's more room for error with the direction of the mics. It may not work *quite* as well in a small bar setting. Of course, I'm only splitting mine about 2 feet. ;)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 01:25:47 PM »

Definitely. I think the bigger the venue the better chance of a great recording w/ split card's -- at least there's more room for error with the direction of the mics. It may not work *quite* as well in a small bar setting. Of course, I'm only splitting mine about 2 feet. ;)

see, I disagree with this. I wouldn't normally run split cards from the back of an arena like the tape in question. I have that tape and it came out pretty nice but in general I wouldn't split if I was taping in a large boomy arena, I think you would ordinarily just exaserbate the issue.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 01:36:08 PM »
I am going to try split cards at an outdoor show this year....hopefully at the cary amphitheatre where the is no roof...I am betting it will be a good result considerng it shoud be less "boomy"

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2005, 02:37:15 PM »

see, I disagree with this. I wouldn't normally run split cards from the back of an arena like the tape in question. I have that tape and it came out pretty nice but in general I wouldn't split if I was taping in a large boomy arena, I think you would ordinarily just exaserbate the issue.

I see your point with the boom-factor, but is an ORTF or DIN configuration in an arena really going to eliminate much of it anyway? IMO XY and/or bass roll-off would be your best bet for boom-elimination no matter what size the venue. My point of split card's in an arena/amphitheater has more to do with the amount of space the music is taking up. At an arena you might have 50-200 feet of space between the P.A. and your mics (ie: more room to absorb sound without losing much clarity), whereas in a small bar or club you'd be so close to the stage that you may create more of a hole in the recording... some instruments in one mic, some in the other, but maybe missing the middle? My 2 cents....

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2005, 09:59:34 AM »
Fwiw, here's what I was attempting with my split card's (again, a little bassy due to too many monitors and no bass roll-off)

(credit to O-Dog for the pic; Natelsky's DPA's clamped under mine)

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline timP

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2005, 02:35:28 PM »
I ran split cards a few weeks back and for the room, i think it sounds great
small square club about 10' apart, 12' up, 15' back
check out the encore or tracks 6>9 on disc 2

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=23732
?>FR2LE

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2005, 06:17:15 AM »
Not to mention I don't "shower regularly", nor do I "brush my teeth" or "wash behind my ears".

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com