Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: compressor, limiter, & gates  (Read 2685 times)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
compressor, limiter, & gates
« on: November 19, 2004, 06:16:44 PM »
so i'll be running sound with JBK in a couple weeks...it seems that there is some outboard gear with the mixing console, but i have not had a chance to ever mess around with these types of products.  I feel pretty confident in the mixing capabilities, but I don't know how running a gate or compressor will affect what comes out of the PA.
Is there any advice for running these types of outboard gear?  things to look out for, common settings or anything like that?

thanks in advance!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: compressor, limiter, & gates
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:48:45 PM »
using a little compression on vocals helps the gain before feedback ratio, if you will.  If the venue can put out some bass but the bass guitar sounds kind of "floppy" you can copress that.  other than that you probably won't need to use it on anything else unless you want to blow the roof off ;)

I like minimal copression ratios....somewhere between 2:1 and 5:1.  set an average attack with a quick release and se the threshold a few db's under the average the dB of the vocals without compression.  this is usually a good place for me to start when i do live sound.  you might have to make some minor adjustments. 

hope that helps!

Brian

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 07:00:42 PM »
Phlucks & JBK

hey guys, what night? I'd be glad to come out with you guys and show you some stuff. I did this for about 2+ years... setup and tore down little mackie/yamaha pa's and some big monster pa's. Worked house at a 900 person club and a 250 person club, worked in a 4k+ seat theatre and did some 3500+ outdoor gigs...

call me, this is something that I'm actually pretty skilled/knowledgeable at.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 07:13:55 PM by Tim »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 02:11:18 AM »
personally I wouldn't go over a ratio of 3:1 compression...................................with 5:1 you take alot of the dynamics out....
honestly 2:1 should be fine.....................have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 09:54:33 AM »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 08:21:18 PM »
If you have any extra compressors available after compressing the vocals and maybe the bass, try running the snare compressed. I used to solo up the snare and try different compression tricks on it. That's just me though. I always felt having a good snare drum sound was key in having a good club mix. I found that compressing the snare drum, then sending that signal to the reverb made the snare sound fat.

What kind of music is it?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 09:43:18 PM »
Gate the drum mics (but not the overheads) to avoid bleed.  Be careful with the compressors.  If you compress too much you can make a note hang and youll get the wonderful, wonderful sound of frequency takeoff...
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 10:46:23 PM »
careful with compressors on vocals... the return into the monitors can cause feedback :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 11:45:59 PM »
Gate the drum mics (but not the overheads) to avoid bleed.  Be careful with the compressors.  If you compress too much you can make a note hang and youll get the wonderful, wonderful sound of frequency takeoff...

Jimi Hendrix made it pay, so did Jerry, or was that the real reason for the Wolf ?      ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com