Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Providing (analog) patch from UA5+NJB3 rig?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Providing (analog) patch from UA5+NJB3 rig?
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:46:35 PM »
I'll be running CK93>UA5>NJB3 tonight.

What is the best way to provide an (analog) patch to another taper?  I'm thinking of taking line out from the NJB3.  Does this work during recording (with monitoring on)?

I know it has an extra ADC(UA5) + DAC(NJB3) step there, but I can't think of a better way.  The UA5 does not have a preamp out, right?

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
Re: Providing (analog) patch from UA5+NJB3 rig?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:54:10 PM »
The ua5 also has a line out, but if you're going digi-in to your jb3 it will be the same exact signal *i think*

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:51:09 PM »
The ua5 also has a line out, but if you're going digi-in to your jb3 it will be the same exact signal *i think*

Well, I don't know.... at some point, its converted back to analog within the NJB3, becuase its line out is analog.  Nevertheless, it would work.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:55:13 PM »
There are 3 analog outs that you can give a patch from with a UA-5. Any of those 3 will be the same signal, and they will all be better than coming out of the JB3.

Depending on the cables you and your patcher have, you can use the rca out or 1/4" out on the back or the headphone out on the front.

They all get the same signal, and the output from all 3 is affected by the volume knob next to the headphone jack.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 04:05:47 PM »
There are 3 analog outs that you can give a patch from with a UA-5. Any of those 3 will be the same signal, and they will all be better than coming out of the JB3.

Depending on the cables you and your patcher have, you can use the rca out or 1/4" out on the back or the headphone out on the front.

They all get the same signal, and the output from all 3 is affected by the volume knob next to the headphone jack.

JAson

Thanks!  Have to watch that headphone volume...

+T for the help,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 04:13:03 PM »
I keep an RCA> 1/8" cable rigged up to my outs on the Ua-5, just so I don't have to take the UA-5 out of my bag and hook the patcher up in the middle of the show.  Seldom do i ever see a patcher carrying a DAT anymore ::)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 08:14:03 PM »

JAson
NOT the same signal as the digi out though correct?, just the same as the other analog outs

i persoanlly would prob give it from the jb3 just because of my setup and my bag, going from the ua5 would be a pain to set up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 08:49:34 PM »
here's one thing to consider, though.  the analog outputs of the ua5 are not pass-through.  that is, the signal will still go through the the A/D converter, and then through the D/A converter to the analog outputs.

so, if you give an analog patch out of the ua-5 or the jb3, either way, the signal will pass through the ua-5 A/D stage.  then it's just a question of how the D/A converter on the ua-5 compares to the D/A on the jb3.  just a guess, but I'd think the UA-5 is still better.  just something to think about.

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:34:01 AM »

JAson

I would prefer the JB3 line output - anything that has a pot controling the volume is bound to cause problems('specially the headphone out - YUK)...JB3 offers a true line out...with the biggest sin being the D>A conversion...

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 05:25:02 PM »
Haven't been on the board for a month and just catching up on old threads.  If you give an analog patch out of a digi-modded UA-5 you MUST turn the monitor switch OFF.

I know this sounds backwards but doing the digi-mod basically 'hard wires' the monitor on.  If you then turn the monitor button on, you get a second, slightly delayed signal overtop of your original analog signal.  The second one is controlled by the knobs on the front of the UA-5. 

Try it - run an analog signal into the UA-5 and plug in your headphones.  Turn monitor on/off and play with volume and output controls.  It will screw up the analog outs (all of them).
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 09:19:42 PM »
I always keep the monitor switch off, to save the battery.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com