Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Advice  (Read 8394 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Mic Advice
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 06:20:04 AM »

You asked if upgrading mics is worth spending the money over $29 mics.  Absolutely 100% of the people stated emphatically YES without a single dissenting opinion, then you debate them for two pages about why you don't seem to want to upgrade. 

Actually for the record, some $2.50 caps from Panasonic (WM61-A) can make superb recordings. This is particularly true if the source is fairly loud as most people here are taping (and not too loud as to overload the mics).

So I dissent :)

PS: wm61-a recordings courtesy of Jon O’Neil @ www.naiant.com

digifish

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:26:56 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

stevetoney

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
My selection of words was poor, so I offer my apologies. 

I was trying to merely point out that you asked a question...everybody (except one person) provided their opinion and you seemed to have not accepted those answers.  This made me wonder why you asked the question at all since you seem to have already made up your mind for yourself before asking the question...but maybe not.

Regardless of that though, what I don't think anybody has suggested in this thread is that ANY sound decision is personal and any advice you get on TS.com will be biased towards the preferences and needs of the person stating the opinion.  The best thing you can do, as you are about to do, is listen for yourself and decide what's best for you.  The Live Music Archive is your best resource for that.

Anyway, good luck to you in your mic search.

ilduclo

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
I know I'm a bit late to the party but... Another thing to consider is what are you listening to the recordings on? Computer speakers, a high quality set of headphones, a true hi-fi system, etc? All of those will make a huge difference in how your current mics sound vs. another set.

When I started recording and editing I was using my iPod headphones and most shows sounded pretty much the same regardless of what gear was used. Then I upgraded my headphones to studio quality AKGs and the difference became instantly obvious.

But as a number of people have said - if you're happy with what you've got and the results you achieve that's all that matters.

very much in agreement about the gear you use to listen, I have Sennheiser headphones and a decent old Sony amp/Panasonic cd player. Big difference from the 18$ Sony headphones thru cheapo work sound card, but not huge difference from computer with good headphones and good sound card (home system)

however, I don't think that much has been said here about the quality of the source! I record at a lot of dodgy places and the room and pa systems are a real factor in the quality of the recordings. Garbage in/garbage out. All that being said, the dpa4061's>spsb3>recorder I use is pretty nice, I use an old Sharp MD or an old Sony Dat. And until my venues get some good shows, I'm sticking with that gear. I don't see upgrading to new recorder(s) until I get more than 5 or 6 shows I want to see all year long! I'll put my $$ into new books until then....

by the way, I'm one of the unhappy Coresound customers you'll find on here, so I'd avoid them,

YMMV

good luck. and do let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

stevetoney

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37:36 AM »
I know I'm a bit late to the party but... Another thing to consider is what are you listening to the recordings on? Computer speakers, a high quality set of headphones, a true hi-fi system, etc? All of those will make a huge difference in how your current mics sound vs. another set.

When I started recording and editing I was using my iPod headphones and most shows sounded pretty much the same regardless of what gear was used. Then I upgraded my headphones to studio quality AKGs and the difference became instantly obvious.

But as a number of people have said - if you're happy with what you've got and the results you achieve that's all that matters.

very much in agreement about the gear you use to listen, I have Sennheiser headphones and a decent old Sony amp/Panasonic cd player. Big difference from the 18$ Sony headphones thru cheapo work sound card, but not huge difference from computer with good headphones and good sound card (home system)

however, I don't think that much has been said here about the quality of the source! I record at a lot of dodgy places and the room and pa systems are a real factor in the quality of the recordings. Garbage in/garbage out. All that being said, the dpa4061's>spsb3>recorder I use is pretty nice, I use an old Sharp MD or an old Sony Dat. And until my venues get some good shows, I'm sticking with that gear. I don't see upgrading to new recorder(s) until I get more than 5 or 6 shows I want to see all year long! I'll put my $$ into new books until then....

by the way, I'm one of the unhappy Coresound customers you'll find on here, so I'd avoid them,

YMMV

good luck. and do let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

^^  I agree to an extent, but alot depends on the venue and proper use of your gear. 

I mean, on the one hand, it's hard to argue with the garbage in = garbage out concept.  But on the other hand I've recorded in a venue in Pittsburgh where my recording sounds ALOT better than the ambient sound heard at the mic stand.  The reason is that I was using hyper capsules on the mics that rejected some of the secondary reverb sound that my ears were picking up.  In this venue, the PA is pretty high quality, but the room is cavernous and boomy and they make us set our stands up back where the ambient sound breaks up.  Obviously, in this case the hypers emphasize the direct sound waves from the PA and de-emphasize the reflected sound waves.

In theory, recording in the M/S mode can also provide the potential opportunity for doing the same thing.  So, what I'm saying is that just because the sound is bad to your ears, that doesn't mean that you can't improve on what gets laid down with the right gear.

While there's no mic on earth thats gonna fix flat out crap sound, I am fairly surprised at some of the magic that can be worked with the right tools for the job. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:43:54 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline inabsentia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »
My selection of words was poor, so I offer my apologies. 

No problem!! :)

Anyway, good luck to you in your mic search.

Thanks..  pair of CA-14's ordered ... loaner set of CA-11's until they arrive...sorted :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.299 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com