Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: One pair of mics  (Read 9744 times)

Offline twalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
One pair of mics
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
So, I know this is a tough question and everybody is going to have differing opinions.  But, I am curious to see what you will say.

If you could only have one pair of complete mics what would you choose?  Think of it as your desert island set.
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline heehaw

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: One pair of mics
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
Now I'm dreaming of MKH40 pair as my first and last bulletproof setup for using it anywhere in anytime. Indoors, outdoors, winter, spring, summer and winter. Maybe to add MKH30 later :)
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

Offline BlingFree

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Working the dumb end of a digital recorder.
    • Lossless Legs
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:40 AM »
Switchable caps count?

I've never heard a bad pull from my buddy's Neumann KM 100 / AK** mics. If I were stuck with one cap per body then I'd chose the Omni and Fig 8 for Mid-Side... should have everything covered then. So practical...  ::)
Audio
* AKG SE-300B / CK 91 > Zoom H6
* powered by i.Sound Portable Power Max - 16000 mAh
Video
*coming soon??**

LMA uploads
bt.etree uploads
YouTube Playlists

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
Switchable caps count?

I've never heard a bad pull from my buddy's Neumann KM 100 / AK** mics. If I were stuck with one cap per body then I'd chose the Omni and Fig 8 for Mid-Side... should have everything covered then. So practical...  ::)

I was originally thinking one pair of caps and one pair of bodies.  But, I am not sure now because sometimes you just need omnis.  ;D

The Neumanns are great.  And, the versatility is nice.  I am wondering if everything that I record could be done with a single set of wide cards.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:35:46 PM by twalker »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
TLM 170's have always impressed me.  I've just never seen a pair in my price bracket.  I guess that's like being stuck on a desert island with Angelina Jolie.

If we restrict the list to things I actually have owned or used, it's a toss up between MK4's with bodies, and the Gefell M210 hypers.  I've owned both for the last year.  I've been trying to decide which to keep and which to sell.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
Tossup b/w the AKG 414s (which is kind of cheating, given the multipattern function) and something else.  The MK41, if you really mean one pattern and one capsule type, would probably get the nod for me as it never sounds "bad" anywhere and sounds better further back than other things, at least in my taping situations.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
I am wondering if everything that I record could be done with a single set of wide cards.

Depends on how much information more than 120 degrees of frontal axis you need (and conversely, how much you value a pressure cap over a gradient) . For most of us here, that's none, for a couple of us, it's minimal. For what I know about you're stuff, I think you could get by with a subcard if you treated them as omnis and ran AB style.

2 years ago I would have said something like an mk41 or something like that (a dark/neutral hyper). Now it's the 4015 since my taping situation has changed. I actually may trim down to just the 4015 cap for a while. 2 years from now, who knows.  :-\
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
If I pick a Neumann RSM-191, do I get to pick another mic to make a pair?  ;D
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
Cheating or not, I've always been partial to a good pair of AKG 414's.  2nd choice: DPA 4011's.

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
mg210 for me..

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
It's so situation dependant (music style, venue type, taper's perference, stealth or open, etc) that it's not suprising the answer will be wildly different for each of us.  I currently own a pair of nice German SD cardioids (Gefell M94/MV692), well regarded multipattern LDs (ADK TL), a nice stereo LD mic (Peluso P-stereo), an ambisonic mic  (Tetramic), various miniature omnis (B3, 4060, 4061, panny cap based binaurals, old Shure lavs), and some other oddballs, but if I was only allowed to use one mic model from this point forward, it would be the DPA 4060.  I do require at least 4 of them though, not just a single pair.. and I ain't budging from that stance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

jnorman34

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »
i do chamber music, so i would choose a pair of KM131 near-field omnis. 

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »
I wouldn't consider a multi-pattern cheating.  A good pair of classic 414 mics can go a looong way. 

Gutbucket, you are exactly right.  There are a lot of variables to factor in.  When. I first got into this I recorded rock bands in small clubs.  Then I moved in to jazz groups in recital halls, then chamber and orchestral music in halls and churches and now I am back to doing rock bands and festivlas and doing less chamber and orchestral.  I love my 4006 stereo set and you'll have to pry them from my cold dead hands.  You might -and I say MIGHT be able to trade me for a set of MG m221.  However, outdoors at festivals I just don't get what I am looking for out of them.  So, enter a good pair of whatever.  And, I still have not decided on that whatever.  Everything in its right place, I guess.

Page,  the subcard has been rattling around in my head.  And, I may experiment with a pair someday.   

Joe, I know what you mean. Maybe one day on the TLMs...Angelina though would probably have to have her brood in tow.  That may be a little more than I could handle.

If I recorded nothing but classical and I could afford it I would own a trio of U47 mics.  Then I would be done.  The sounds from Mercury living prescence are/were amazing with that trio.  And, then there was the M201 Schoeps that was used on some sessions.  But, these mics would serve little purpose in the other stuff I do. 

Jon, I have been kicking around a pair of your caps for the less than open occassions.  Maybe...someday.

If I had to sell everything (all of my mics) and live with one pair of bodies, I would have to have interchangeable caps.  I am partial to my DPAs, so I would sell my DPA 4006tl set and get a 4006a set and a pair of 11 caps.  That way I would have both omni and cards.  The second choice would be an MG SMS 2000 set with 21 and 27 caps. 

Let's hear some more.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:34:54 AM by twalker »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
Question has been asked before, but under the context of a "dream rig."

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=103559.msg1471567#msg1471567

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
Question has been asked before, but under the context of a "dream rig."

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=103559.msg1471567#msg1471567

Actually,  this is a little different.  I am concerned with mics only and only a pair.  A lot of the dream rigs mine included are multichannel, multi mic setups.  In my last post, I went a little further in adding a second set of caps.  My initial point was to determine if you could only have one set what would they be.  Plus, the dream rigs are just that...money no object.  If I were to sell all of my gear, I still wouldn't have the money to buy my dream rig.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:35:44 AM by twalker »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com