Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: One pair of mics  (Read 9743 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: One pair of mics
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
Schoeps mk5's/mk41's > cmc6xt's

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Schoeps CCM41/CCM41V
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
Not many people have them...but that will change once more poeple hear them....  Nevaton MC49 cards...!  It its an incredible sounding microphone and is perfect for what we do...

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline twalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
Schoeps CCM41/CCM41V

I have found several shows on LMA with the 41 that sound incredible.  I have always had a hot/cold relationship with Schoeps.  Then I saw NOLA's CMR rig, started looking at shows done with the 41 and CMR sets and thought most were amazing.  Plus, I like Page's idea of running them as an AB pair for the chamber stuff I do. 

I do feel like I need to pair down a bit.  I have too many mics.  And, I should update my recorder.  Maybe the 41s will be the ticket.  But, I just don't think I can let go of my DPAs.  I really need unlimited financial resources so, I could have all of the mics I want.  :D
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
Not many people have them...but that will change once more poeple hear them....  Nevaton MC49 cards...!  It its an incredible sounding microphone and is perfect for what we do...

OOK

Nevaton...interesting.  Time to jump on LMA.
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »
OOK
Nevaton...interesting.  Time to jump on LMA.

There are not to many recording posted done with these.... only a few... but I have a friend who swears by Nevaton.  He has a pair of Nevaton LD's and a pair of the Nevaton mce400s tiny omni's.  they all sound fantastic....  So when TNJazz was selling a piar of MC49's I jumped on them knowing the Nevaton Quality...All I have to say is wow... exteneded lows, great mids,  smooth highs, not over hyped like some mics....and lazer like detail....  My buddy keeps telling me to take care of his mics.... even tho he doesn't own them yet and I am not selling any time soon.. TNJazz is a dealer for Nevaton and super easy to deal with...  You won't see these come up used very often because what you will discover is people keep them and don't want to sell them...  I know I won't for a long time....

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »

OOK
I agree with this and I will throw Milab dc-196' and VM-44's with the not many people have them thing. High-end for a reason.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
OOK
I agree with this and I will throw Milab dc-196' and VM-44's with the not many people have them thing. High-end for a reason.

I too agree with the milabs.  The VM-44's are one mic that I currently don't own but would like too... and will at some point.  OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
I too agree with the milabs.  The VM-44's are one mic that I currently don't own but would like too... and will at some point.  OOK

I'm curious, how do you think your MBHOs stack up against the Nevatons or VM-44s?

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »
I'm curious, how do you think your MBHOs stack up against the Nevatons or VM-44s?

I love my MBHO's...I can walk into any situation and I am set with the caps I have.... I guess if I had to say...my Nevatons sound most like my widecards tonally with a little tighter pattern... The hypers are a tad brighter with a little less bass... the omnis are just FAT sounding, dont use them near enough....  The two I use the most are the widecards and hypers.  I think I have only used my cards 1x in quite some time...  But used them for the first 100 shows or so when I first started recording.  I find MBHO to be detailed like schoeps without the mud...  :P  I think thats why some find the MBHO line bright... The only VM-44's I have heard are the cards.  To me they have a very smooth tone overall,  the best way to describe it is detailed without being edgy, dare I say a little more mellow sounding.  I was actually set to buy a set of Milabs when the Nevaton came up for sale at a price I couldn't refuse.  It was right around the time I noticed Milabs had gone up a little in price.

To me MBHO work great in any room but do particuraly well in a bass heavy room, especially the hypers.....  Milabs to me do well in most rooms but excell in bright rooms...  Nevatons are between the two...  I have been recording so long I rarely walk away with a bad recording... its all about arriving early, knowing your room and location location location.... and when in doubt default to MBHO hypers.

Another mic that i think is probably one of the best mics for what we do is the Microtech Gefell 210's.  Its probably the best Hyper I have ever heard... it is a very consistent sounding microphone, a taper buddy of mine has 4 of them... You know who your are...... :P

And another mic that really intrgues me are the Telefunken ELA M-260...These mics thus far have made some great recordings and they are tubes....in da freakin field!

What I like about the higher end mic market right now is there are so many choices one can make and you will be happy 100% of the time....  To me Schoeps and Nuemann have priced themselves out of any real competition.  While their products are very good they are just simply over priced in my humble opinion and they bank mostly on the name recognition and extensive history in the field.  Your money certainly goes much further at this level of microphones....today than it did in the past. 

All this really means nothing because its just my humble opinion and that with 2$ will still only buy you a small coffee.  Sorry for the rant..When it comes to mics I get jazzed up!

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
Still researching my mic upgrade and have been extensively looking at neumann KM A/KK184 vs KM140 (at OOK's suggestion back in March) now looking at the Nevaton mc49 matched pair new for 660 less. . .  and really like the sound.   
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »
Still researching my mic upgrade and have been extensively looking at neumann KM A/KK184 vs KM140 (at OOK's suggestion back in March) now looking at the Nevaton mc49 matched pair new for 660 less. . .  and really like the sound.

I sorta forgot about the KMA's...those seem to be moderately priced at about 2500 a pair... good balance between the SKm184 and SKM140s...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »

I sorta forgot about the KMA's...those seem to be moderately priced at about 2500 a pair... good balance between the SKm184 and SKM140s...
Yes 2460 for KMA with 184's @ one major NYC outlet.  Have always liked the flexibility of modular but already have three sets (senn mke, aKg 460 and 390).  Might be time to break out of my shell  ;)  Will listen to as many MC49 samples I can find over the next few weeks.  Want to get my upgrade in hand for the summer season.  Thanks again for input.
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline heehaw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 03:32:35 AM »

OOK
Those recordings on LMA sounds really nice!
BUT It really eats 10mA as mentioned in specs?
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 08:05:03 AM »
Those recordings on LMA sounds really nice!
BUT It really eats 10mA as mentioned in specs?

Doubtful that they pull even close to that much current.  Nevaton specs everyone of their mics at 10ma, even their small lavalieres (MCE400) which probably don't even pull 5% of that.
I have a pair of MC51 (also rated at 10ma) and I see the same battery life with them on all my equipment as I do with all of my other mics.

Not sure why Nevaton gives them that spec, I always assumed something got mixed up in translation.  Maybe Dirk can shed some light on this?

Oh yeah, as far as my choice if I could have only one pair of mics, for stealth or low profile work, I would choose the Nevaton  MCE400's.
For open recording, even tho I prefer the sound of both the m20 and m27 caps, I would choose the Gefell M210s as they are better suited to most of the rooms I record.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:24:08 AM by JD »
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com