Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Phantom power vs. battery box for AT943's  (Read 10107 times)

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
Re: Phantom power vs. battery box for AT943's
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 08:14:44 PM »
what about DPA 406Xs?  They both run off the same battery box

That's an interesting question. It's almost accidental that the AT mics (831 851 943 etc) and the DPA 406x can be run off the same plain vanilla 9 Volts batterybox.

Why is that? Well, the two mics are very different internally. So much so that by the time you are finished makig a really sweet solution for the AT mics, the DPA 406x  can't even be connected.

I think the optimum powering soluion for the DPA mics is very near a plain 9 V batt box but built wth good parts.

why can't they be connected?

Because we are now talking about an optimized interface to (& for) the AT943 using three wires.

Then you come along with a DPA 406x. That means you have two wires. You try all possibilities
for connecting your two to the three available on the interface.

None of the combinations will give you a single mV of signal. The two are just not compatible.

This s where the difference shows up. Put differently, if you are looking for the ultimate battery box for the DPA you should not look at the box optimized for the AT943. They are not even distant relatives.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 07:48:18 AM by jk labs »

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 04:37:20 AM »

That's an interesting question. It's almost accidental that the AT mics (831 851 943 etc) and the DPA 406x can be run off the same plain vanilla 9 Volts batterybox.

Why is that? Well, the two mics are very different internally. So much so that by the time you are finished makig a really sweet solution for the AT mics, the DPA 406x  can't even be connected.

I think the optimum powering soluion for the DPA mics is very near a plain 9 V batt box but built wth good parts.

Because we are now talking about an optimized interface to (& for) the AT943 using three wires.

Then you come along with a DPA 406x. That means you have two wires. You try all possibilities

None of the combinations will give you a single mV of signal. The two are just not compatible.

This s where the difference show up. Put differently, if you are looking for the ultimate battery box for the DPA you should not look at the box optimized for the AT943. They are not even distant relatives.

DPA some how does it with their DAD60XX series connectors

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 07:39:49 AM »

Why is that? Well, the two mics are very different internally. So much so that by the time you are finished making a really sweet solution for the AT mics, the DPA 406x can't even be connected.

This s where the difference show up. Put differently, if you are looking for the ultimate battery box for the DPA you should not look at the box optimized for the AT943. They are not even distant relatives.

DPA some how does it with their DAD60XX series connectors

;D When I wrote that it couldn't be done I was thinking of attempts at wiring the DPA mics _directly_ to the new AT box.

Yes you (or DPA) can make an interface between the 406x and the new AT box but you will end up with
a power scheme and signal path worse than that provided by even standard batteryboxes.

Jon     

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »
Well, speaking for myself, I would love a unit that would basically replace my SP battery box (1/8" input from the SP-modded AT943's, 1/8" analog out) but would provide the benefits that I keep hearing about from a "true" phantom powered solution. Going from a 1/8" input to mini XLR's will make the setup bulkier and will require a mod to the SP AT943's.

Is part of the "problem" the wiring mod that provides an unbalanced 1/8" stereo terminator to the pair of AT943's? Is undoing this mod and restoring the balanced XLR's a necessary part of the solution?

(Note: I may be talking over my head here!)

Thanks again (and +T) for explaining all this stuff!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 08:15:50 AM by som »
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 11:24:59 AM »

Well, speaking for myself, I would love a unit that would basically replace my SP battery box (1/8" input from the SP-modded AT943's, 1/8" analog out) but would provide the benefits that I keep hearing about from a "true" phantom powered solution. Going from a 1/8" input to mini XLR's will make the setup bulkier and will require a mod to the SP AT943's.

Is part of the "problem" the wiring mod that provides an unbalanced 1/8" stereo terminator to the pair of AT943's? Is undoing this mod and restoring the balanced XLR's a necessary part of the solution?

Hi there,

we certainly have covered some ground here. Not everything was spelled out to the same level of detail. 

But to be crystal clear:
In order to reap the benefits of this optimized powering scheme each individual AT mic has to be terminated in a three wire connector. The most compelling reason for going with miniXLR is that many AT's have these installed already.  In addition the miniXLR is relatively low profile and it's sufficiently rugged for this application.

Now, if you do look for alternatives a single 1/8" stereo mini per mic satisfies the criteria.  Or you could hardwire
into the box for the lowest possible bulk. Lastly a single five pin connector would accomodate both AT mics (ground is shared).

Jon
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:27:05 AM by jk labs »

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 12:04:06 PM »
Ahhh, I think I get it now! The two-mics-terminated-in-a-single-stereo-1/8" is apparently a flawed (or limited) design that does not allow for optimum powering.

I'm on board, looking forward to what you come up with!

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 12:59:27 PM »

Hi there,

we certainly have covered some ground here. Not everything was spelled out to the same level of detail. 

But to be crystal clear:
In order to reap the benefits of this optimized powering scheme each individual AT mic has to be terminated in a three wire connector. The most compelling reason for going with miniXLR is that many AT's have these installed already.  In addition the miniXLR is relatively low profile and it's sufficiently rugged for this application.

Now, if you do look for alternatives a single 1/8" stereo mini per mic satisfies the criteria.  Or you could hardwire
into the box for the lowest possible bulk. Lastly a single five pin connector would accomodate both AT mics (ground is shared).

Jon

thanks jon for some clarity about the benefits of running the AT mini mics. 

i just want to add that if you buy the ORIGINAL AT mics, they are all wired with the unbalanced 3 conductor outputs (eg., 1-ground, 2-audio, 3-supply voltage). only issues are the SP models that combine the supply voltage and the audio on a single rail to accomodate their 1/8" plug.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2004, 11:37:31 AM »
Now if you could cram a nice little a/d converter into this (yet to be seen) box to provide optical out for us JB3 users, that would be the icing on the cake. Any possibility of something like that happening?
I'm currently running AT933 > PM4 > PS-2 > AD-20 > JB3 and I like the AD-20 a/d stage more than the JB3's. So I'm wondering how I could incorporate this box into my rig. It seems like all the EE work I've seen from you is analog only, so that may be outside your area of expertise or interest but I bet prople would be interested if it could be done in a practical manner.

Of course if it was just a replacement for my SP battery box when going stealth/light that would still be cool, but we always want more.  ;D
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2004, 07:18:38 PM »
Now if you could cram a nice little a/d converter into this (yet to be seen) box to provide optical out for us JB3 users, that would be the icing on the cake. Any possibility of something like that happening?

I'm currently running AT933 > PM4 > PS-2 > AD-20 > JB3 and I like the AD-20 a/d stage more than the JB3's. So I'm wondering how I could incorporate this box into my rig. It seems like all the EE work I've seen from you is analog only, so that may be outside your area of expertise or interest but I bet prople would be interested if it could be done in a practical manner.

Of course if it was just a replacement for my SP battery box when going stealth/light that would still be cool, but we always want more.  ;D

The picture included will give you an idea of the size. This is the box I am using to verify the concept mechanically and test/refine the new circuitry.
The final version will most likely be a box of the same size. Power is from a single 9 V battery mounted internally (taking up about 2/3 of the lenght).  I expect 50 - 100 hours run time per battery change.

Adding an A-D converter is an interesting route to take. Doing so mandates adding some mic-pre functionality as well.
The design is for all practical purposes already done (as part of other units completed or in progress).
But it's a competetive marketsegment and success depends on low unit costs obtained through high volume production.
That means high volume sales. It's a major undertaking. Selling 50 to 100 units wil not cut it.

The AD-20 was mentioned. The box above will be able to feed the AD-20 an appropriate signal. Obviously some connectors are needed to make the proper connection. If that is still too bulky I think there is enough space inside the AD-20 to allow a modification (among them remove the XLR ins). The AD--20 gets mini-XLR ports and all the necessary circuitry to support the AT mics. (Such a modded AD-20 is  no longer be a general purpose XLR input converter). 

Oppps, picture file was too large and I don't have the tools to reduce here now. In a day or so I will.

Jon

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 12:12:18 AM »
Thanks. I understand that would be a big undertaking and maybe a hard market to crack - but I'd definitely consider it if such a product became available at a fair rate.

That AD-20 mod sounds really cool too. LMK if you ever want to move forward on that. It would save a lot of space and connections in my rig.
Would you expect it to sound equivalent to my PM-4 > PS-2 > AD-20 setup or would it be different somehow?

Looking forward to seeing that prototype too!

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 10:55:52 AM »
Cool! Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor! +T

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 05:59:49 PM »

A small update.... 

The AT943 spec sheet at Audio Technica states a sensitivity of -40 dB re 1V /Pa.
That means 10 mV signal rms in a soundfield of 94 dB SPL. This spec is for the mic
in "phantom power mode".  If we add 20 dB (10 times stronger) to the soundfield we
end up at 114 dB SPL. Now the mic delivers 100 mV rms. And by extension, at 134 we
get 1 Vrms. 134 dB SPL is close to the max signal excursion possible for the AT943. 

The PM-4 is 1:1. It passes the AT943 signal without altering its amplitude (or rather, 
the drop is about a dB or so).

The AT943 wired into a standard 9 Volts batterybox outputs a 10 times (+20 dB) stronger signal.
So at 94 dB SPL we get 100 mV, 114 dB SPL gives 1 Volt. And 134 .... well the capsule
has hit the ceiling long ago. Distortion is all we get.

This poses a slight problem for my "AT PP9" (AT Power Plant 9 Volt). My options are:     
A) I just ignore the 20 dB lower output. Users turn up their record dials or must use mic inputs. 
B) I add a 20 dB gain stage. That means the 9V batt box is asked to output 10 Volts rms when the mic is exposed to 134 dB SPL. That's plain impossible.
C) I add some gain. Like 6 dB and say "live with it"

or
D) a selectable gain feature is introduced. Features that will have an impact on bulk and cost.

I should have seen this coming but my focus was on getting the optimum sound from the capsules.
In light of jb3 users etc not having a functional mic-pre in the recorder this starts too look like
options from hell. All options (A, B, C & D) must be supported ...

But just to have said it. The situation is no worse than that of having AT mics -> PM-4 -> PS2 ->  That chain has the exact same need for gain.. 

thoughs? ideas?

Offline mattb

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 06:20:43 PM »
Seems like this wouldn't be an issue for putting those circuits in a mod AD-20, since it will have that lower signal right now anyway, but it definitely poses a problem for those going without a pre.

For the direct to line people, it seems like some kind of gain stage would be best. The JB3 gain can be noisy, so the common reccomendation is to leave it at 0 and either adjust the input or bring it up later on your PC. So if you could do a variable gain stage that may be even better for the jb3 line in users.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 06:27:22 PM »
that's some great info jon, and I wish more people could view it.

at8533 > mp-2 > modsbm-1 is a bit bulky, but it works like a champ.

I thought you plan was to do something like PM4/PS-2/AD-20 all in one box with stepped gain.  Either way, thanks for trying this and listening to our opinions.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2004, 09:35:04 AM »
Okay, this just zoooomed waaayyyy over my head, but let me ask a question or two to clarify:

Currently, with my SP 943's and a 9-volt SP battery box, I get enough output from the mics at most shows to go line-in. Occassionaly I need to go mic-in, but since the volume is so low at these events, the D7 can handle it.

Are you saying that once these are powered with phantom power (or your upcoming "AT PP9") the output from the mics will no longer be adequate to go line-in without a preamp? (Or some sort of built in gain)

B) I add a 20 dB gain stage. That means the 9V batt box is asked to output 10 Volts rms when the mic is exposed to 134 dB SPL. That's plain impossible.

But didn't you say that the current breed of 9 volt battery boxes adds 20 dB gain? What do they do if the mic is exposed to 134dB?

Once again, any help in understanding is appreciated!

As to your question, I *personally* would like a replacement for the SP battery box that gives me the sonic improvement that I've heard phantom power will provide (and I realize this will require a mod to my SP-CMC8's to provide mini XLR terminiation). I would still like adequate output to to go line-in without a preamp (like I currently do). I would prefer to monitor and control the levels on my recording device, not on the "AT PP9".

That's what I *want*.....I can't tell you how to make it happen! And I'm aware that others may want something different.

Scott

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com