Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using vr-61 ext tubes for 480 into "Actives"  (Read 8054 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Using vr-61 ext tubes for 480 into "Actives"
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »
OK, tell you what:

I've got to go by AKG in the next couple of days to pick up my stuff (in for checkup and repair).  I will ask the technician directly and see what he says.  If necessary I will wear Sonics and record him word for word!

I'd like to think a lot of this is a combination of misinformation due to misunderstanding the intent (by AKG).  If it is clearly explained what is requested I'm reasonably sure I can get a straight answer.  Plus if I'm standing right in front of him it won't be as easy for him to lie to me!  (not that he would, but you know what I mean)

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 05:05:47 PM »
Sounds good! I just want to know why can't there be a 3 foot flexible separation between the cap and body using all the parts from a VR62 except the rigid metal tube.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 05:06:09 PM »
Oh and freelunch tried this with the similar schoeps tubes and has working active cables for his schoeps mics. Maybe he could give it a try?

My schoeps actives are working perfectly.. Way on the back burner is an active MG project. But I really like to record more than futz with circuits.  And who wants to screw up a pair pristine $2k matched mics?  So I'm not sure that will happen. Especially once spring hits.

These projects are very time consuming and their is risk.  If you buy one gooseneck for $350 and can't make it work, you have blown the money.  Or if you short the body and mess it up, etc. Then, if you get it working, maybe there are hours of testing and tuning of the circuit for sound quality.

It sounds like some folks are thinking they can just attach the cap to the body with an extension cable.  Nice thought but it won't work.  You need a powered buffer circuit at each end. It is my impression that some AKGs have a FET in the capsule which is capable of driving the cable. It sounds like this series of caps does not.  So that would need to be a part of the design.

Exactly.  CK9x series are electrets with the FET built in.  Just run three wires out to a battery box.  You don't even need the bodies!  I've built two sets, one CK91 and one CK93.  Now all I need is CK92 :)

The CK6x are just bare *externally polarized* capsules, so they need: 1) polarization voltage (62V), 2) FET near the capsule.  Both these come from the 460/480 body, or from an "active" connector.

Richard

To be clear, the VR61 and VR62 work with either the 460 or 480 bodies. The VR61 is discontinued and is 12" long. The VR62 is still made and is 3 feet long. The bodies are presumably providing the polzrization voltage the caps need and the tube must have a FET somewhere along the 3 feet.

Why does the tube need to be rigid? Whatever electrical purpose the metal tube is serving should be able to be replaced in the design by something else. For me, even a 3 foot length of flexible material would be great! What is the maximum distance to separate the body from the cap? My A61 angle adapters have no room for electronics, but perhaps they don't need any because the distance the cap is separated from the body is only an inch. I would be willing to chip in money to buy a used 460 body, capsule and tube if someone with the proper background can answer these questions. The VR61 tubes come up all the time on Ebay - a pair just sold for around $100 a week ago. They guy I bought my mics from in 2004 had a ton of VR61s that he was trying to get rid of for $75. I've seen body + cap go for less than $250. In fact there is one on ebay right now that probably won't bring $200 given the cosmetic condition. I'd guess plenty of AKG owners would be interested in finding an answer that explains why you can separate the ck61/62/63 capsule from the 460/480 body with a rigid tube by up to 3 feet, but not with the exact same components in the tube and flexible wiring.

Hey, if you send me any parts I will investigate and report back to you.

I'm *most* interested in a bare CK6x capsule, even an imperfect or broken one, just to see what kind of physical and electrical interface is necessary.  I've actually got all the parts I need to play with except the capsule.

The other things I could use are anything that connects to the 460/480 body, including tubes, angle brackets, actives for the CK1x (electret) capsules, etc.  If it connects to the 460/480 body, then it must have the same threads as the CK6x capsule, so I can use this information.

Please don't spend any serious money on this though.  I would rather just borrow some busted or partially busted gear from someone.

I was thinking of buying a pair of CK63's (I can get them for just under $200 apiece new), but I'm hesitant to spend the money until I know if I can get something working.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 05:12:28 PM »
Sounds good! I just want to know why can't there be a 3 foot flexible separation between the cap and body using all the parts from a VR62 except the rigid metal tube.

I've asked this very thing several times in the past 6 months (with regard to making 451's "active") and have just simply been told it's not possible.  I will get specifics when I go get my gear later this week.

Dirk

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 05:26:14 PM »
I've asked this very thing several times in the past 6 months (with regard to making 451's "active") and have just simply been told it's not possible.  I will get specifics when I go get my gear later this week.

I'm guessing it is a case of "It is possible if you know how to do it and impossible if you don't.."

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 07:41:25 PM »

I'm guessing it is a case of "It is possible if you know how to do it and impossible if you don't.."

This would not surprise me at all.  If I can get even that answer out of them, at least we'll know it's possible.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 08:33:05 AM »

I'm *most* interested in a bare CK6x capsule, even an imperfect or broken one, just to see what kind of physical and electrical interface is necessary.  I've actually got all the parts I need to play with except the capsule.

The other things I could use are anything that connects to the 460/480 body, including tubes, angle brackets, actives for the CK1x (electret) capsules, etc.  If it connects to the 460/480 body, then it must have the same threads as the CK6x capsule, so I can use this information.

Please don't spend any serious money on this though.  I would rather just borrow some busted or partially busted gear from someone.

I was thinking of buying a pair of CK63's (I can get them for just under $200 apiece new), but I'm hesitant to spend the money until I know if I can get something working.

Richard

Richard-

Did everything work out with you and Sanjay to get the non-working ck1x cap & mk46 extension cable?  If not, maybe we can track down the new owner & see if they'll donate them to the cause?

My understanding from AKG themselves is they will not service these caps or extension cables any longer.  They will however take your ck_x caps and convert them to a standard ck_ cap.   :-X
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »

Richard

Richard-

Did everything work out with you and Sanjay to get the non-working ck1x cap & mk46 extension cable?  If not, maybe we can track down the new owner & see if they'll donate them to the cause?

My understanding from AKG themselves is they will not service these caps or extension cables any longer.  They will however take your ck_x caps and convert them to a standard ck_ cap.   :-X

TNJazz is the new owner, and he is going to get back to me if there are any parts left over.

Note that the CK_x caps are *not* the same as the CK6x's.  They are electret caps, like the c451 mics.  So playing with those is just a distraction and not moving me towards the CK6x's that we all want...

Thanks for asking though.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 10:42:30 AM »
TNJazz is the new owner, and he is going to get back to me if there are any parts left over.

Note that the CK_x caps are *not* the same as the CK6x's.  They are electret caps, like the c451 mics.  So playing with those is just a distraction and not moving me towards the CK6x's that we all want...

Thanks for asking though.

Richard

Understood.  I'm fully aware of the differences in the ck_x and ck6_ caps.  However, my inquiry was in response to your request:

I figure this could be a step in the right direction.  Threading info is the same, the cap + cable could provide some insight on the req'd electronics for actives. 

Just a thought since the gear is not operational & could potentially be donated, rather than us pooling money to buy gear (working or not) to be sacrificed for the cause.

+T for your interest/efforts Richard.

EDIT to add:  This also stems for the fact that since the cap + cable are not operational and AKG will not service them, the donation to the cause could be a great option since you, or someone else, may be able to repair them to working order in return.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 10:45:19 AM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 10:55:18 AM »

This entire set is currently at AKG Nashville for service.  They didn't give me any indication they wouldn't service them.  The only negative thing they told me was that it was possible the CK2 caps would need to be converted to the CK22 cap (their standard "upgrade" these days  :P )  If they convert these to standard CK capsules without checking with me first, heads will roll.

If they suddenly contact me and say they won't do the service on them (they've had them for a week and I hand delivered them, so I would have expected refusal immediately) I will have very harsh words for them, both in person and on all kinds of public forums.  To manufacture a product and then not service it is unacceptable, especially since I read somewhere that AKG claims they will service ANY of their historical products at any time.

If the gear cannot be FULLY serviced, the entire package (including 2 Audio Upgrades modified bodies) will likely be up for sale as it will be of no use to me.

OK, now you've got me all worked up.  Time to call over to AKG and find out what's going on...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 11:29:34 AM »
Not trying to piss you off, Dirk. 

I was originally going to purchase the 460 active package from Goose.  After doing extensive research on these components and numerous inquiries with AKG via phone & email, I decided not to pass on the package.  Sanjay then picked these up and sold it to you after coming up empty handed in his search for 460 bodies.

My reason for not buying these was the tech people at AKG Tennessee told me after several phone conversations that:
1) they no longer service the ck_x caps or the mk46 extension cables
2) could not provide me the schematics on either the caps or cables because they do not have them.  They did search for these over the course of a few days supposedly, and could not find them.
3) the only service they would be able to me was "updating" the non-working ck_x to the corresponding ck_ cap.  Effectively removing the "x" ability that allows one to run these caps remotely with the mk46 cable.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 11:36:20 AM »
Not trying to piss you off, Dirk. 

I didn't take it that way at all.  Apologies if I came off heavy-handed.  I was just stating I drove over there last week and handed them the gear.  If they were going to give me the run-around I would have expected it to happen by now.  I am going to call over there in a little while and find out what's going on.

It's strange they told you that they couldn't get you schematics, etc.  Karl has offered up CKx schematics to people on the AKG forum in response to questions previously...

My anger (if it becomes necessary) will not be directed at anyone on this board, but rather at AKG for poor customer support.  Of course, if AKG cannot service the capsules there is surely someone out there who can and will.  In my examination of them, the diaphragms do not appear to be bad so it's likely a contact or an electrical component of some kind that's causing the issues with the non-working capsules.

We'll see what happens.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 11:41:52 AM »
I didn't take it that way at all.  Apologies if I came off heavy-handed.  I was just stating I drove over there last week and handed them the gear.  If they were going to give me the run-around I would have expected it to happen by now.  I am going to call over there in a little while and find out what's going on.

It's strange they told you that they couldn't get you schematics, etc.  Karl has offered up CKx schematics to people on the AKG forum in response to questions previously...

My anger (if it becomes necessary) will not be directed at anyone on this board, but rather at AKG for poor customer support.  Of course, if AKG cannot service the capsules there is surely someone out there who can and will.  In my examination of them, the diaphragms do not appear to be bad so it's likely a contact or an electrical component of some kind that's causing the issues with the non-working capsules.

We'll see what happens.

No problem.  Do you have contact info for Karl?  I'd love to request this from him.  I'm sure AKG will come through in the end.  I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, fwiw.  +T

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 11:49:26 AM »

We'll see what happens.

No problem.  Do you have contact info for Karl?  I'd love to request this from him.  I'm sure AKG will come through in the end.  I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, fwiw.  +T

Just service@akg.com sent to his attention.  He's in Austria, so going directly to the source might get results you weren't able to obtain from Nashville.  I've heard and experienced nothing but good things about their service as well, which is why your experiences are a little surprising (and concerning!)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 12:13:17 PM »
Thanks, Dirk.  I just emailed Karl.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com