Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Want Neumann- Don't know what kind  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Want Neumann- Don't know what kind
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:49:44 PM »
I want to buy some High end Microphones from Neumann, but I don't know what kind to get. I know I want a Cardioid and I want to use it for blatant recording into my Marantz CDR 420.

Any recommendations?

I want quality.

Will consider Shoepps as well.  (Wrong spelling I know...In a hurry)

-Treat
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Want Neumann- Don't know what kind
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
skm-140 (also ak43 capsules, but not the ak50's)
u89
tlm170

those are the common favorites.

Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
    • nyctaper
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:04:26 PM »
Of course, I have the AK50's, speak highly of them, and produce recordings with them that people seem to think are some of the best around. 

I've been told that if I taped from "the section" in bigger venues, that my ak50s would have a weak bass response.   However, I tend to record in medium sized venues and sometimes smaller clubs, and the bass response has been outstanding (check out the Dinosaur Jr. recording at my site).  On the other hand, I've heard recordings of bands like moe. done with other 100 series caps in medium-sized clubs that sound boomy and muddy on the bottom end.

In the end, it essentially depends upon what your typical taping setting will be.

Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:12:57 PM »
I will be taping in many different setups. From Club stuff, to Large outdoor amphitheaters.

So I suppose my search for a "perfect mic" just ended...

Instead I maybe need two sets of mics that are more purpose oriented?

But two sets of mics means twice the money, and I want uncompromised sound quality, so that means a LOT OF $$$....

But how do I test these mics?

Should I order them, try them, and then return?

Or is there another way?

Maybe rentals I guess? But I live in Tulsa...and there are not a lot of audio rental places here.....

Hmmmm.....

Can anyone forward me to any buyers guides for mics?

Or feel free to just tell me what you use for different scenarios......please???
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:50:12 PM »
Searching the archive.org for mic sources is a good way and a damn fine tool for slutting.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
Searching the archive.org for mic sources is a good way and a damn fine tool for slutting.

x2

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »

Slutting?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 03:45:13 PM »

Slutting?

Spending willy nilly with no concern for feeding your children or avoiding future debt
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
I'm sorry for being the Idiot here, but where exactly am I looking?

Do I just find a Dead song or show or whatever? And it will have the information about what kind of mic was used?

I looked on the site...but 90% of what I quickly looked at were Sound Boards.

Any tips?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:54:00 PM by Mr.Fantasy »

Offline audBall

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »
I'm sorry for being the Idiot here, but where exactly am I looking?

Do I just find a Dead song or show or whatever? And it will have the information about what kind of mic was used?

Try searches for things like:

Neumann
SKM-140 or SKM140
AK40
AK43
AK50
TLM-170 or TLM170
KM184 or KM-184

It will then list recordings that match any of those terms.  Chances are, they will match with what the "Source:" was for that particular recording.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 04:06:52 PM by AudBall »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 03:57:59 PM »
depending on your budget and needs, a pair of Neumann km184 mics would fit the bill as well.

Offline audBall

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »
depending on your budget and needs, a pair of Neumann km184 mics would fit the bill as well.

added that one to the list.  I can't believe I forgot those...  +T

cshepherd

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »
I think the km 184 is one of the best microphone values we have for this hobby.  I started out with a used set almost ten years ago and still own them.

Chris

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 11:47:35 PM »
So what are some fundamental differences between the SKM 140  and the KM 184?

Am I right that the SKM 140 uses different caps for different purposes?

And in this picture, is this two SKM 140s with different caps?

And are these the same mics as the image above?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 02:01:49 AM »
Mr. Fantasy, there is no such thing as an "SKM 140 microphone." An SKM 140 is a stereo set of two Neumann KM 140 microphones plus some accessories. A stereo set of two KM 184 microphones is also available. The main differences are that the KM 140 is a "modular" microphone while the KM 184 is not, and that the KM 140 is substantially more expensive than the KM 184; for stereo pairs it is even more so.

The KM 140 is made up of an amplifier and a capsule, both of which are part of a larger series of interchangeable components. If you have a pair of KM 140 you can attach other capsules of the series in place of the AK 40 cardioid capsules, and then you've got a pair of microphones with some other directional pattern and/or frequency response characteristic. Or you can substitute a pair of KM 100F amplifiers (bodies) in place of the stock KM 100s and you'll have a pair of microphones with a built-in low-frequency rolloff and the option for a steeper and higher rolloff which is very useful for dialog recording and public address applications. In addition there are special accessories such as cables and goosenecks which can go between the capsule and amplifier of the modular microphones to facilitate certain kinds of setups. But none of these options exist for the KM 180-series microphones.

Apart from that, the "acoustical design" (i.e. the capsule and the way it is exposed to the sound field) are absolutely identical between the KM 140 and the KM 184, and that is what mainly determines the sound quality. There is a minor difference in the electronics, with the KM 184 having slightly lower inherent noise (and requiring slightly greater current from the 48 Volt phantom power supply). But for recording live concerts that difference in noise level will never be an issue, since even at the quietest of moments the noise of any public venue will swamp the noise of either type of microphone by a considerable amount.

--best regards

P.S.: Your two photos definitely do not show the same two microphones. The upper photo is an M/S arrangement with an AK 20 figure-8 capsule on top (i.e. definitely not a cardioid) and some other capsule beneath it. The head-to-head pair of microphones, who cares what pattern or model they are--no one should ever set up microphones for stereo recording that way if there is any reasonable alternative available (and if there isn't, then create one!).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:07:11 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com