Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ORTF with Hypers???  (Read 9991 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
ORTF with Hypers???
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »
I've been doing some listening on archive and noticed more than once where people ran hypers in ORTF.  Am I missing something or doesn't ORTF kinda defeat the purpose?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: ORTF with Hypers???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
ORTF is cardioids at 110 degrees at 17cm spacing.

Any other pattern / angle / spacing is *not* ORTF.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
hey, read that stereophonic zoom paper.  I don't think I will ever bother using a standardized configuration....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »
What purpose do you think is being defeated?  Are you thinking of hypers as extremely directional beasts that are only good for pointing right at the sound source from a distance?  They're not shotguns.

Are you thinking hypers are just for cutting down on off-axis room noise?  I think they can be pleasing in better situations as well.

Hypers ORTF (for now accepting any mics 17cm apart and angled 110° are ORTF) will create a wider stereo image than card ORTF.  Hypers tend to have a pattern that's more uniform across frequency than cards are (i.e. a card is more directional at high frequencies than it is at low).  So if you want to create a wide stereo image, but maintain good frequency response for sources straight in front of you, hypers might work better than cards.  E.g. to get the same image width you would with ORTF hypers (assuming a fixed setup location of course, and for the sake of argument saying you didn't want to go wider than 17cm due to phase/timing considerations), you'd probably have to run cards at 130 degrees or more.  That's starting to put sources directly in front of you far enough off axis to sound colored with some cardioids.  Hypers, while attenuated more off axis, at least are more evenly attenuated across all frequencies, and so will color the central sound less.

Not to mention, some folks like the effect you get from the rear lobe picking up a bit of ambience out of phase.

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
ORTF is cardioids at 110 degrees at 17cm spacing.

Any other pattern / angle / spacing is *not* ORTF.

Ah sooo.  I missed that point about ORTF and was just focusing on spacing and angle.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
isn't ORTF intended specifically for cardioid mics?

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 05:04:11 PM »
FWIW, just found this from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORTF_stereo_technique

ORTF combines both the volume difference provided as sound arrives on- and off-axis at two cardioid microphones spread to a 110º angle, as well as the timing difference as sound arrives at the two microphones spaced 17 cm apart.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »
What purpose do you think is being defeated?  Are you thinking of hypers as extremely directional beasts that are only good for pointing right at the sound source from a distance?  They're not shotguns.

Are you thinking hypers are just for cutting down on off-axis room noise?  I think they can be pleasing in better situations as well.

Thanks for the thoughts/opinions.  I wasn't debating their use in ORTF, but really was curious if the config was kinda oxymoronic.

So, while no I knew most hypers aren't extremely directional mics (your first question), I was thinking more along the lines that their primary use was decreasing off-axis noise (your second question).  

So, I appreciate the tech info.  Good stuff.  +T

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "defeat the purpose".  Taking up boojum's chorus:  check out The Stereophonic Zoom (linked in the sticky at the top of the forum).  Hypercardioids at 17cm spacing with 110º included angle yield a sterephonic recording angle (SRA) of ~37º (for a total of 74º spanning L to R, or vice versa).  So if the sound source occupies roughly a 74º arc from the recording location, it seems a reasonable However, note this configuration risks capturing too much centered reverberation (see the SZ link for details).

I was thinking more along the lines that their primary use was decreasing off-axis noise (your second question).

That's one of the challenges, and why SZ is just a starting point.  It's a challenge to balance SRA, reverberation, and angular distortion.  Fun trying out different options, at any rate.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 05:12:17 PM »
FWIW, just found this from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORTF_stereo_technique

ORTF combines both the volume difference provided as sound arrives on- and off-axis at two cardioid microphones spread to a 110º angle, as well as the timing difference as sound arrives at the two microphones spaced 17 cm apart.

I'm not debating, but this statement is kinda generically true of any of the mic configs, isn't it?  Although of course the point of XY is to eliminate timing difference.

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 05:17:26 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "defeat the purpose". 

I guess my choice of words might not have been the best.  When I was referring to 'the purpose', I was referring to the rule of thumb that lots of people recommend hypers for minimizing room reverb.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »
Steve, I would also suggest trying hypers/NOS and see how you like that. I would suggest being DFC and pretty close to the stage. Here is my 12/31 RAQ recording, where I was 9th row/DFC w/ hypers/NOS :)

http://www.archive.org/details/raq2007-12-31.ka500.722.flac16
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 02:16:15 AM »
Hypers ORTF run a greater chance of you having a hole in the middle of the soundstage because of their wider spacing.  I run hypers in DIN (17 cm / 90*) all the time and I like the results very much.  The narrower angle results in a more coherent soundstage.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:24:35 AM »
You can find quite a lot of information on stetting up microphones on Sengpiel's homepage. This one gives a good view of how different setups work. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Stereo-LautlokEines60.pdf

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »
I agree with the 90 degree spread on the hypers.  While I loved the sound of the instruments w/ the 150's @ 110...the vocals seemed distant.  The 90 degree change really tightened up the sound and pushed the vocals much more forward in the mix.

KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com