Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ORTF with Hypers???  (Read 9993 times)

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ORTF with Hypers???
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »
I did exactly what jlykos & Bean did with my Hypers DIN (17 cm / 90*)  and I am so very happy with the results. Will post my pull of Perpetual Groove to LMA latter this week and will welcome comments as this will be my first posting.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »
I did exactly what jlykos & Bean did with my Hypers DIN (17 cm / 90*)  and I am so very happy with the results. Will post my pull of Perpetual Groove to LMA latter this week and will welcome comments as this will be my first posting.

Tim

NICE!!! I ran Hypers/NOS at the RAQ NYE show for NYE and was AMAZED at the results. I ran Hypers/DINa on 12/30 and was just 3 rows behind where I was setup for NYE and the Hypers/NOS came out AMAZINGLKY KICKASS!!! I am SOOO GLAD that I bought all of the KwonBars before XMAS before Cascademedia.net closed down. Now I have the DINa/DIN and NOS KwonBars and am ready for everything coming my way. Now all OI need is the MBHO Subcards and the single MBHO Figure-8 capsule I already ordered and my rig is ready for the next level ;D

Bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 06:38:28 PM »
I've been doing some listening on archive and noticed more than once where people ran hypers in ORTF.
If any of them are mine it was a mistake. ::) Last year at Bonnaroo and Langerado I thought I was running my mk4's but instead I was using my mk41's.So there where a few times I ran them ortf.I can't believe I did it at TWO festivals but I did.

Offline Jammin72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
Many hypers can be run with that configuration.  Look at the polar pattern chart for your mic, in general you can run with an included angle of 2X where 1K drops off by 3db on the chart.  In the case of the CK63 it's right in the range of 50-55deg so it's not a stretch to get good results using ORTF.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 07:47:29 PM »
O.R.T.F. is not about the angles.  it is about the spacing.  17 Centemeters.
if using cardiods you run at 110*  if using hypers you run the angles at 90*.  same 17 cm spacing just different angles based on the capsules being used.  i run mk-41's only.  i run them at 17 cm @ 90*.  in my recording notes i always call it O.R.T.F.   some people call hypers at 90* 17 cm spacing DINa.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:47:10 PM »
O.R.T.F. is not about the angles.  it is about the spacing.  17 Centemeters.
if using cardiods you run at 110*  if using hypers you run the angles at 90*.  same 17 cm spacing just different angles based on the capsules being used.  i run mk-41's only.  i run them at 17 cm @ 90*.  in my recording notes i always call it O.R.T.F.   some people call hypers at 90* 17 cm spacing DINa.

FWIW, you're labelling your recording notes incorrectly.  As John W already noted previously in the thread, ORTF = cardioids with 17cm spacing and 110º included angle.  It isn't about the spacing, it isn't not about the angles, and it isn't one thing with hypers and another with carioids.  It's about the specific combination of pattern, spacing, and included angle.  Any configuration that is not cardioid, with 17cm spacing, and 110º is -not- ORTF.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
Brian, I agree with you, and there's one more thing: small-diaphragm condenser microphones must be used.

This isn't "according to me"--it's according to the developers of the ORTF system, Messrs. Condamines and Laracine.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 11:25:40 PM »
I'm trying to find where I read this... but I recall reading somewhere that when originally developed the French used hypercardiods but for now I'm having a hard time relocating that data...  ???
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 01:46:01 PM »
I'm trying to find where I read this... but I recall reading somewhere that when originally developed the French used hypercardiods but for now I'm having a hard time relocating that data...  ???

I also thought I remembered reading that when I first saw this thread, but I couldn't google it back up.

stevetoney

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 02:53:34 PM »

You're having a hard time finding the data because French hypercardiods retreated behind the front lines and prepared to surrender, but cardiods stepped out front to save ORTF recording...hypers have a short memory and are bitching about it now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:55:33 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 02:56:44 PM »

French hypercardiods retreated behind the front lines and prepared to surrender, but cardiods stepped out front to save ORTF recording...hypers have a short memory and are bitching about it now.

Part of the problem was that the French-hypers failed to take into consideration the reverberation and angular distortion.  The cards were able to porperly inplement these variables by reading their copy of the "Stereophonic Zoom."  The SZ is not availible in French....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
Could we agree on calling them by the proper term, "freedom" hypers, please.

;D

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 04:37:38 PM »
I've run hypers in an ORTF fashion and recieved great results.  Typically FOB in an outdoor or WSP enviornment.
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Petrus

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 08:29:09 AM »
All mics, angles and distances are legal, as long as you get pleasing results...

I have even used hypers with a Jecklin disc, it happened to have mic suspensions attached at the moment. Childrens choir in a slightly too revibrant studio. Worked fine, if not "by the book".  Angle was about 60 deg.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »
No question people should use what works best.  The "standard" well-known configurations are just a starting point.  But that doesn't mean recordists should misappropriate the names of the "standard" configurations.  I, for one, am having fun more and more breaking away from the "standards" and using the Stereophonic Zoom go guide my starting point.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com