Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?  (Read 89084 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Sound Devices MixPre II-series coming?
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2020, 10:33:07 AM »
Quick question here, I got the unit now for a few days.

Trying to figure out the 'tapermode' that suits me the best. (2x mics 48p). From what it looks I think I end up with having channel 1-2 linked and use the front knob #1 as the knob to set gain. Correct me if I am wrong, but in that case knob #2 needs to be in C all the time right? There is no way to switch it off or anything? In sneaky mode I am afraid of this knob being moved. Is ducktape the only solution for this?

Others will correct me if this is wrong, but I think once you link the channels, moving knob #2 has no effect on level.

Correct, but it has effect on the balance (left, center, right). Atleast how I have set this at the moment

Sorry, I thought it operated like the linking on the SD 302, where the pan switches still determine the stereo position. On my MixPre 6, I tend to to just "set it and forget it" in the channel screens for levels, pan, etc.

Too bad they didn't give you the option of locking the pan position.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2020, 11:35:15 AM »
Correct, but it has effect on the balance (left, center, right). Atleast how I have set this at the moment

It affects the balance of the Mix tracks, but not the ISO tracks.

I run 6 channels into my mixpre6 i. I link channels 1&2, 3&4, and 5&6. But I do not arm the mix tracks, as I prefer to do multichannel>stereo mix down in post. I leave knobs 2 and 4 in the C position, because it makes me feel good, but it has no affect on the relative volume of the ISO channels.

I could see, however, if I were to run two channels only, that I'd want to correct L/R balance live by utilizing the mix tracks and leave the ISOs unchanged for backup.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »

It affects the balance of the Mix tracks, but not the ISO tracks.

I run 6 channels into my mixpre6 i. I link channels 1&2, 3&4, and 5&6. But I do not arm the mix tracks, as I prefer to do multichannel>stereo mix down in post.

seems wise. in most cases we use it for (not ENG who needs to turn over a mix right away), if anything id rather export a mix to a second recorder as a backup than hog up precious SD card bandwidth for 2 more channels
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2020, 03:48:21 PM »
That's easy on the SD mixpre series, as even when the mix tracks aren't armed for recording, they can still be selected as the analog out, to go to a separate recorder.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

jcable77

« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »
Anyone use Audacity on the mixpre ii's? Just got one and have been dragging and dropping into audacity with 24/96 files and such with mixpre 6i with no issues for a while. 32/96 or 32/48 should be all set im guessing?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
MixPre Series v6.00
Released: January 14, 2020

New
32-bit float USB audio streaming. Requires Mac OS Catalina (version 10.15+) and an application that supports 32-bit float. Find out if your application of choice supports 32-bit float audio streaming here.
(MixPre II Series only)
Fixed
MixAssist can now be enabled during Playback with ReMix on.
(MixPre-3, MixPre-6, MixPre-10T, MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6 II, MixPre-10 II)
HDMI record triggers no longer create several recordings if the cable was connected while the camera was actively recording.
(MixPre-3, MixPre-6, MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6 II)
Various system enhancements and improvements.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »

New
32-bit float USB audio streaming. Requires Mac OS Catalina (version 10.15+) and an application that supports 32-bit float. Find out if your application of choice supports 32-bit float audio streaming here.
(MixPre II Series only)

can the mixpre stream usb to ios (phones) at lower bitrates?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
Yes!

Offline shijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
Unfortunately headphones-out distortion noise problem is NOT fixed yet in firmware 6.0 :(
2x Oktava MK-012+Rycote BBG -> MixPre -> Edirol R-09HR

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2020, 04:08:05 PM »
Thanks guys, for the response to some questions. It helped me to figure out this Mix/ISO thing. Bit strange but it worked at the two recent gigs. Went smooth. Felt a bit strange to - not be so strict on the levels - with 32bit.

Here is a result: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=666783  (Milabs with Mixpre). Inhaler is the band of U2's son Elijah Hewson. Worth checking out, think they are getting big.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline bigalow

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:43 PM »

New
(MixPre II Series only)

can the mixpre stream usb to ios (phones) at lower bitrates?
From what I can tell the USB out dictates the bitrate that the MP will record at. For instance, I had my MP set to 32/96 and when I tested by sending the audio out to my iPhone (AUM app) via lightning cable (USB-A), the MP then popped up a warning and notified me that the bitrate would be lowered for recording. I unplugged the iPhone and checked the settings on the MP and it was indeed lowered to I believe 24/48. I believe it's due to the limitation of the iPhone, but I could definitely be wrong about that. I fond it odd the MP can't record at 32/96 then down sample for the USB output signal.

I have a question that I don't believe I've seen answered in the several MP threads I've browsed through. I have channels 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 & 7-8 linked & armed. Typically, I record to 32/96 polywav files. Everything seems to be fine except that my channels 1-2 are captured as a stereo file whereas the remaining channels get captured as ISO mono files (see pic below). I've doubled over all my settings and haven't been able to figure out what setting is different about channels 1&2 from the rest of them. Will someone please point out where I'm not seeing why this is happening? Thanks!

And before anyone comments on the captured file, I didn't have anything hooked up to the MP. I just turned the gain knobs up to the point where they registered a signal for testing purposes.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:13 PM »
t my channels 1-2 are captured as a stereo file whereas the remaining channels get captured as ISO mono files
I think 1-2 are the mix tracks, not ISOs? So it makes sense that it's just a stereo pair.
I turn those off, no need to use the storage space, since I plan to post-process the ISO tracks as my typical workflow.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline bigalow

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I thought the mix would be comprised of any/all armed channels 1-10. You can turn off the L/R mix in the record menu so I don't think that is it. I'm sitting here playing with it and can't seem to figure it out.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »
t my channels 1-2 are captured as a stereo file whereas the remaining channels get captured as ISO mono files
I think 1-2 are the mix tracks, not ISOs? So it makes sense that it's just a stereo pair.
I turn those off, no need to use the storage space, since I plan to post-process the ISO tracks as my typical workflow.

Mine does this too and I have the LR mix turned off. 3&4 are never joined for some reason.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2020, 05:54:32 PM »
You mean there isn’t a single poly wave but multiple mono files on the sd card?
Recording:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com