Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Running more than 2 mics

<< < (17/17)

Organfreak:

--- Quote from: goodcooker on June 19, 2023, 09:54:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: Organfreak on June 19, 2023, 03:36:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: goodcooker on June 16, 2023, 11:50:55 AM ---I'm teaching myself how to play the organ (on my Hammond M3 - funk and soul style not church type stuff) and I'd be real interested to hear some of your organ recordings if you have a place to share them.

--- End quote ---
Hello Goodcooker, nice to hear there is another organist on this forum! An original Hammond organ with its tonewheel and tubes is a nice, warm and rounded sounding instrument. Do you have a separate Leslie box attached to the organ?
I have never posted my recordings anywhere. Just for own use, sometimes for family or friends; sometimes burn a few CD's. But not on the internet or commercial.
Do you have a suggestion where and how to post some recordings?

--- End quote ---

I don't use a Leslie - I have an M3 the baby brother of the B3. It has a built in amp and speaker since it was marketed for home use. There's a system for adding vibrato that is an approximation of the effect of a spinning Leslie but it's just not the same. Leslie pedals and outboard simulators are getting better and better every year though so maybe one of those is in my future after getting better as a player. I spent a large part of last night's Govt Mule show watching the spinning baffle in the Leslie amp onstage (they had the panel off) to see how the keyboard player was working the speed and brake controls. Voicing that instrument with the drawbars, percussion, different manuals and the speed of the rotating speaker is an art form in itself.

If you don't think there would be any problems with the players I would think the Community Audio section of the Internet Archive would be a good place to share some of your recordings. Otherwise you could put them in a Google drive where audio files can be sampled direct from the drive without having to download them.

Sorry for the derail. Back to microphone configs.

I used 2 mics for Govt Mule last night. I thought about using a center hyper in between my two subcards but decided to just decrease my spacing, increase my angle a little and run 2 channels. How much effort I'm willing to put in hauling gear, cables, batteries etc was down last night and it turned out just fine with 2 subcards 25cm spacing point at inside of stacks from 45 feet back.

--- End quote ---

Sorry goodcooker, but I could not find the location on taperssection to share some recordings. Maybe you can be a bit more specific. Can I post .wav files (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) or are these too big?

What subcards do you use? Recently I changed a brand new pair of KM184 for a used pair of KM143. Hope this was a good deal. The KM143 sounds beautiful.

vantheman:
I can finally share one of my projects from earlier in the year that utilized a 4 mic array. Curious to see how you all like it, and what you think of the mix captured by the onstage array. The band is the Chris Spedding Trio with Tony Garnier on bass and Anton Fig on drums at the Turning Point in Piermont, NY from January of this year. Tiny little room. The mic array consisted of 2 Line Audio OM1s spaced 3-4 feet apart and 2 Line Audio CM4s in XY into a Sound Devices MixPre10ii. I actually had the multis too, and I use a few of them here mostly to provide some light reinforcement to the live mix captured by the array, which is to say that what you're hearing is pretty true to what the array captured, and sweetened a tad by the multis. I have more info about it, and a link to download, here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=202753.0.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version