Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which portable recorders can be controlled with your phone?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Whenever I get my next recorder, I would like to get one that can be controlled with my phone so I'm not looking into my bag to adjust things.  My eyesight is getting worse, I occasionally will press the wrong button, and it's not very stealthy to keep fiddling with it.

A friend has the Sony A10 with bluetooth and a phone app and likes it, but I'm curious what else is available and used by people here for comparison.  I have also seen that some slightly older models used a wifi connection between recorder and phone, but I don't know how that works.  Definitely would want a system that works in the field when no wifi network is available.

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
Re: Which portable recorders can be controlled with your phone?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »
I have the A10 and am happy with it. I think the latest Zoom recorders have a bt option.

Offline thebigredone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 03:00:12 AM »
The Roland r-o7 and the Olympus LS-P5 also. The BT can be slow to connect though, the A10's is almost instantaneous.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 12:48:12 PM »
Sound Devices MixPre can be started, stopped, monitored, and the metadata edited via the mobile "wingman" app but it does not allow users to control input levels.
On the new 32 bit "Mark II" versions, this might not matter!?

The mixpre pairs with bluetooth in a different way than the A10. The mixPre doesn't require the user to go through the system menu, it just works when it's in range and the password is correct.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 12:49:44 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 03:13:48 PM »
The Tascam Portacapture X8 and X6 both have remote control via an accessory Bluetooth module. There are iOS/iPadOS and android apps available. I use the iOS app with my X8 and it is solid, with full control. I also have the Zoom F3 and can confirm the Bluetooth (also with accessory module) control works reliably. The Sound Devices MixPre series has built in Bluetooth. As others have already commented, the Wingman app has remote metering and track arming/naming, along with file naming and some metadata entry/reporting. I wish it had 100% recorder menu access, though. It works solidly, but Wingman is ripe for a refresh.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 04:32:46 PM »
+1 for A10. The app gives incredible control over the device and I've never had an issue with it besides it not connecting once when I had an android phone. The issue was resolved with a re-pairing.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 07:35:40 PM »
The Roland r-o7 and the Olympus LS-P5 also. The BT can be slow to connect though, the A10's is almost instantaneous.

What exactly do you mean by slow to connect?  Just once when you turn it on, or slow to react when controlling it with your phone?  Both of the two devices you mention can be slow?

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 12:51:00 AM »
If anyone has a Sony A10 they're looking to unload, or possibly any other model that can be controlled with a phone, I may be interested in buying it from you.

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 02:04:47 AM »
The Tascam Portacapture X8 and X6 both have remote control via an accessory Bluetooth module. There are iOS/iPadOS and android apps available. I use the iOS app with my X8 and it is solid, with full control. I also have the Zoom F3 and can confirm the Bluetooth (also with accessory module) control works reliably.
Excuse me for being a bit off topic, but as you own both portacapture and a Zoom F I’d like to ask you your opinion about their sound. Interested in preamp/converter quality in terms of noise and also quality of tone they can reproduce.
Many thanks

Offline thebigredone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 03:30:58 AM »

What exactly do you mean by slow to connect?  Just once when you turn it on, or slow to react when controlling it with your phone?  Both of the two devices you mention can be slow?

Once you've made the first connection and you've started the recording, they don't stop recording, it's just the long wait for the re-connection to your phone that's annoying. When you're at a show for instance and you want to check how things are going, they can take an age to connect to your phone. It seems to be when there's a lot of people around that the problem arises. With the A10, the connected screen is visible immediately.

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 02:44:16 PM »
The Tascam Portacapture X8 and X6 both have remote control via an accessory Bluetooth module. There are iOS/iPadOS and android apps available. I use the iOS app with my X8 and it is solid, with full control. I also have the Zoom F3 and can confirm the Bluetooth (also with accessory module) control works reliably.
Excuse me for being a bit off topic, but as you own both portacapture and a Zoom F I’d like to ask you your opinion about their sound. Interested in preamp/converter quality in terms of noise and also quality of tone they can reproduce.
Many thanks
Quick answer: I wouldn’t hesitate to use them interchangeably from a noise (very low) and sound quality (very high) perspective. I use mine exclusively for soundscape recording, and both recorders do an excellent job capturing the audio my microphones produce. I have no trouble using them along side recordings made with my Mixpre-6mkii. I’ll leave music recording comparisons to others.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 08:41:22 AM »
Tascam WL-22 and -44, if I've remembered the model numbers correctly, have wifi control.  DR-22WL mine is, having now reached across and checked.  I have that connected to the output of my all-embracing sound system, and its wireless is linked to the home network, so I can operate it from the phone anywhere in the house.  It's ok in other respects, not amazing, not bad. 

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 10:35:23 AM »

I think it depends on the smartphone. My R-07 is instantly connected when I open the app on my iPhone 14. Same was the case on my iPhone 8.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline hedfro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 10:47:54 AM »
Instantly with my R-07 too.
Tascam DR-40X, Tascam DR-2D, Roland R-07.
CA-14 Cards (4.7), SP-CMC-4U-Phantom, SP-CMC-4U (4.7) (AT 853 O, C), Sennheiser ME-104, Sennheiser ME-102, Line Audio OM1, Line Audio CM4.

Offline Paul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 12:21:54 PM »
Zoom F3 & F6, w/ the wireless dongle & app...
my 2¢...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com