Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations: field recorders, either 2 or multi.  (Read 9735 times)

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Recommendations: field recorders, either 2 or multi.
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
For the last few years, I have been recording on a very limited basis, only at shows I know I have power at, as I am using an Edirol 16-channel mixing console connected to a laptop DAW, recording either in SONAR Producer or WaveLab. I've been recording at 24/96 usually, and creating DVD-A masters in WL. I want to get back into field recording on a limited basis, and am trying to pick a unit. I've narrowed it down to three. FWIW, my mics are the MBHO 603.

Units
Fostex FR2-LE
Tascam DR680
Edirol R44

I won't be using an external pre or DA, just mics in. One of the reasons I am reconsidering the Fostex and thinking of either the Tascam or Edirol is that my band is about to release our album, which has been mixed and mastered at Airshow by James Tuttle and David Glasser. I was thinking that as we start playing out, maybe we can record our shows with two aud mics and a soundboard feed and release them.

In doing some prelim research on threads here, it looks like the Tascam might have issues? What are people's thoughts on sound quality for direct in for these units, and their reliability in the field. Also, for power, I was hoping I could use my old EcoCharge 6V batteries that I used to use with my Marantz DAT, but maybe I might need something else?

OK, have at me!!

And if you are interested in sampling my band's music, or ordering the EP or preordering the full album, check out blackpostcardsmusic.com (sorry for the spam, but have to get the word out!!!)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recommendations: field recorders, either 2 or multi.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
Most people will say go dr680 since it offers so many inputs to record on. Out of the three on the list, the tascam is also the newest so its more "modern".

You will find a lot of useful information for each recorder if you read all the threads that it pertains to.

in the YS there's a fostex 2LE: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153483.0

If I were to buy I recorder, i would look at the    Tascam DR100mkii since it has xlr inputs, 1/8" input and opti input. Also, its (probably) smaller than then fostex 2LE recorder.

When you record at 24/96, are you eventually down sampling/ down converting to something more like 24/44.1 or even 16/44.1 or keeping it at 24/96?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
They're all good decks so it mostly comes down to how many tracks you want to record.  There's no argument that the Tascam will give you the most bang for the buck with up to 8 channels.  There are definitely people who gripe about its reliability and its issues with external powering but there are just as many, if not more, people who praise it and run it without any problems.  I don't have one nor have I used one extensively so I can't really weigh in on that aspect.  I can tell you that the recordings I've heard made with them can be excellent.

I have owned and used an R-44 for nearly 3 1/2 years now and love it to death.  Easy to use, very dependable and nearly bulletproof, the only issues I've ever had with it were caused by user error (read: me).  I've pulled many excellent recordings with it and if I were to suddenly find myself in the market for another portable recorder tomorrow, I would buy it again without hesitation.  YMMV, but that's my take.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:44:29 PM »
Get the Tascam or Edirol. It really just depends on the number of channels you might need. After having a lot of trouble with the 680 out of the gate, I'm happy to say it's done nothing but play nice for over 8 months now. I even had the balls to update the firmware to 1.2 a few weeks ago.

One thing I'll say about it.... for ~$100 per channel, the pre's and A/D sound damn good. Way above my expectation.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »
The Tascam is a PITA to use, has performance issues that are well-documented on this site (though some of them are alleviated by plugging the deck into a wall outlet; something most of us rarely have the chance to do but which for your use you presumably would), and is very much a "you get what you pay for" situation. If you need more than 4 channels, go for it - it's the cheapest thing for the next $2500 or so dollars north.  If not, the R-44 is simpler, better built, and possibly better sounding.  Especially if you are trying to play a show and don't have a ton of time to mess around with settings and whatnot, the -44 is much more "idiot-proof" than the Tascam.   I have owned or co-owned both, and while I occasionally would love to have 2 more channels, I am much happier with the -44.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
..possibly better sounding.

That statement jumped out at me. Really?

I don't disagree with anything else in the post, and own both myself, but I haven't had any problems with my DR-680 so my biases are understandably somewhat different.  If 4 channesl are enough, R-44 still wins in my book, but not because I hear any sound quality difference.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »
Pretty sure it's time for a few comps.  >:D

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
Bring it!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:44:06 AM »
Tape! Tape! Tape! Tape! ;
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
..possibly better sounding.

That statement jumped out at me. Really?

I don't disagree with anything else in the post, and own both myself, but I haven't had any problems with my DR-680 so my biases are understandably somewhat different.  If 4 channesl are enough, R-44 still wins in my book, but not because I hear any sound quality difference.

I used "possibly" for that very reason.  You're absolutely right [sheepish] - I have no information either way.  I also don't have a stock R-44 anymore (though mine was stock when I bought it; the mod happened later).

I withdraw that statement - but do suggest we do some comps!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:11:15 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
Candace,

The Tascam and Edirol are both fine machines. Most of the Tascam issues are centered around problems caused by one type of battery set on automatic versus a specific voltage. That should not be an issue. I think the Tascam is far more flexible in what you can do, but the Edirol is excellent and if it meets your needs, you will have no issues with it.

That said, based on what you have layed out as your equipment and history, I think you would like the Tascam more then the Edirol because you can do more with it. Just my opinion of course.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
I have owned both the Edirol and the Tascam, used both ac power and dvd batteries and never had any issues with either. If you want the option of 6 or 8 channels, it seems like a no-brainer to go with the Tascam. Also, as far as I know, no one has ever said anything negative about the stock pres and a/d on the Tascam, with lots of people raving about them. The only issues are the battery ones mentioned above, but most people have never had problems (knock on wood).
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »
Thanks everybody. I decided on the Tascam, in part because B&H is selling them now for the ridiculous price of $650, with a travel case and free shipping. That's too good a deal to pass up. Now I just have to decide on power, since I sold my EcoCharge 12V a few years ago when I ditched my Apogee AD1K. Thinking about something like this: http://www.thebatterygeeks.com/BG-6-12-44-Portable-DVD-Player-Battery-Pack-p/5-12-50.htm

or maybe one of the DVD batteries. Thoughts?

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
Good choice, Candace!  For extra peace of mind, you might want to consider purchasing an extended warranty from B&H.

Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 05:22:08 AM »
$650, including the case? That is pretty fabulous. Congrats on the choice and great deal. Those cases were $100 not long ago (now $49 at B & H) glad I waited a bit. Anyone use one? It it worth $49?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com