Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-D50 problems  (Read 22613 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Re: PCM-D50 problems
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »
The new M10 connection is worse IMO. I may see if I can get Ed to solder on some RA RCAs to one of those soundpro cables...
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Dag-nabit, I jinxed myself with that post.

The Neutrik RA input on on of my CA-Ugly's went wonky lastnight, even with the little wad of paper under there supporting it and everything gaff taped down.  The output sides of both preamps using those small connector SP-SPSC-7 cables are fine of course.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Artstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
It's really odd that a number of you are experiencing problems with the Neutrik right angled 3.5mm plugs. I've been using them on my Core Sounds binaurals and cardioids with both my D50 (since June 2008) and M10 without any need to do anything special to them.

Reading this has made me all the more cautious now but it has definitely never been a problem.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
Another one of my Neutrick RA 3.5mm TRS jacks went wonky last weekend.  Fortunately, both times it only took unscrewing the barrel on the connnector and resoldering the wiring, then re-assembling it.  The female input jack on the CA-UGLY is fine.  Still, I've never had a cheapo molded jack connector fail, but that's not an option for a custom terminated cable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
I skimmed the thread, but wanted to make sure I am correct.  A UA-5 will only feed a Sony PCM D50 a 16 bit signal?  It can't do 24/44.1?  Thanks for your help.  I know I read a thread about UA-5 and D50 issues, but can't seem to find it.  Thanks
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
 Im getting the "unknown data" error running mytek stereo 192 (optical out) > sony d50. Did sony ever release a new firmware or anything? I know Grace did a undated firmware chip for the V3's so they would be compatible with the D50's but after talking with mytek today it doesn't sound like I'll be getting one from them. They more less said the problem is with the sony...

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »
Im getting the "unknown data" error running mytek stereo 192 (optical out) > sony d50. Did sony ever release a new firmware or anything? I know Grace did a undated firmware chip for the V3's so they would be compatible with the D50's but after talking with mytek today it doesn't sound like I'll be getting one from them. They more less said the problem is with the sony...

Brent:

Sorry you're getting the error. 

I just went through the very same issue trying to get compatibility between a D50 and mini-me and I lost the battle, so I had no choice except to sell the D50 for the same reason you've encountered.  Sorry, but the story Mytek is giving you is really only a half truth.  The issue is that Sony's finalized SPDIF standard doesn't allow backward compatibility with some of the equipment, like the Mytek, mini-me, and UA-5 that used the earlier SPDIF standard.  Grace obviously is a customer oriented company and goes above and beyond with EX+ service, so they addressed the issue by issuing a new chip that allows conformance with the finalized standard for forward compatibility.  Mytek is choosing not to implement a upgrade/recall on their units for compatibility with the finalized standard, but they're telling you that the issue is on Sony, when really the issue could be just as much on them as Sony since they aren't going to update to the final SPDIF standard (or some story like that...Todd knows the real story.)  It's unfortunate for Sony and Sony D50 buyers that they chose to use the more restrictive standard, since it effectively means that the D50 won't play well with many digital devices that were designed and sold prior to the release of the D50, but in another way it makes sense that they'd use it since they're the developers of the standard (they're the 'S' in SPDIF).

Anyway, I tried a couple of work arounds that were unsuccessful (I bought a HOSA digital signal converter) that were unsuccessful, so I ended up selling the D50 and buying a Tascam DR100mkII (newly released machine...see my review in the recorders section...$330 from B&H).  The Tascam uses the former SPDIF standard, so it synchs fine with the mini-me.  So far I'm very happy with the Tascam, although if the Sony had worked with my mini-me I'm sure I'd have been happy with that too.  This new Tascam unit bridges the price gap between the D50 and the Microcrapper as far as providing digital input in a handheld.  I recommend it.

One item of note is that the Tascam digital input is an SPDIF input, so the Tascam doesn't recognize AES/EBU on the digital input. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:18:51 PM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com