Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: western digital External HDs?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
western digital External HDs?
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
found this onsale at best buy here in VA for 100 dollars.  anyone use this and can vouch for quality?  there is also a seagate 2TB drive for 160.  any suggestions/input are appreciated.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=586
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: western digital External HDs?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
I think we generally like getting an external enclosure for an internal SATA drive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042
enclosure like that and then whatever size HDD you want.

This may initially be more expensive (due to needing to buy the case) but then you can get an $80 HDD (or two) and just swap them in and out as needed.

These cases you buy and put your hdd in have better cooling and their own power supply.

Actually what you linked in some kind of external drive with network ability. do you have more than one computer? I do and I wouldn't get that. I would simply share the entire hard drive and you would be able to read/write to it over the LAN. if you're connected wired, that would mean 11MB a second from my tests.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
Hot-swap drive bays are another option, particularly if you're using SATA. Note that there are versions that use drive carriers, and others that just allow you to slide in the bare drive. There are even 5-into-3 racks (5x3.5" drives in three 5.25" drive bays) available.

With the 3-into-2, 4-into-3, and 5-into-3 racks, you have to watch out for case compatibility. Some of the racks will have grooves in the side so that they can clear the tabs found in many modern cases, while others (like the Supermicro CSE-M35T-1) won't go into a case with tabs unless you bend them out of the way or grind them off. If you're using a case that uses old-school drive rails, it'll slide right in.

Supermicro also offers a SATA drive rack (CSE-M14) that fits four 2.5" drives into a single 5.25" bay.

One thing about the Supermicro racks - they're rock-solid, server-grade hardware, but they have LOUD fans more suited for a server room than a living room. If you use one, it's worth replacing the stock fan with a SilenX or other quiet fan.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
found this onsale at best buy here in VA for 100 dollars.  anyone use this and can vouch for quality?  there is also a seagate 2TB drive for 160.  any suggestions/input are appreciated.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=586

I own SG and WD HDDs, both work flawlessly... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline aarons510

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:08:11 AM »
I own SG and WD HDDs, both work flawlessly... 

Terry
I've had three WD MyBook external drives. Two of them failed within the first year or so.

The good news, though, is that, when I took the drives themselves out of the original enclosures and stuck them in Rocketfish RF-AHD35 enclosures that I bought for around $20 each on eBay, they worked fine and are still working fine after more than a year. These enclosures also have USB hubs and card readers built in. They work as eSata drives as well, although I've been using them almost exclusively via USB.

Of course, taking the drives out of the original cases voids your warranty, so the latter is basically worthless.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:21:46 AM »
I've had failure issues with WD external drives. I have since moved to all internal drives.

When I do my monthly offsite backup I hook the internal sata drive up to a Sata > USB converter and run it as an external drive, then put it in an anti-static bag and return it to it's offsite location.

Personally I don't trust the extra electronics that go in external drives.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:43 AM »
I've had two WD externals for about 2 years and, while both are still working well, they take forever to initialise if you haven't used them for a while (say, 15 mins).   XP took ages to recognise them.  W7 is slightly faster, but overall I prefer my La Cie portables.   BTW, I also have two Icy Box enclosures (supply your own drives) but their power supplies have both failed.  A new PSU costs twice as much as the enclosure and PSU did in the first place.   

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »
If you have to send one of these in for replacement under warranty you will lose your files.

I would recommend going with either an external enclosure where you can access the drive or go with something like a docking station.

Gordon
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
Knock on wood, I've had good luck with WD externals.   You need to remember they aren't laptop drives- you can't bump them or put them on surfaces that get bumped.  And they aren't designed for continuous use.  That's why they spin down when not in use - to stay cool.

I've been preferring WD for about 10 years and have been happy with their drives.  Many, many terabytes..    I am very particular about the specific models I purchase, where I buy (to avoid packing and shipping abuse, some vendors pack poorly), doing testing before using the drives, and keeping the drives cool.

I won't buy Seagate.. They've been on the verge of bankruptcy for a couple years now.

I am avoiding the new 1.5 and 2TB drives for many reasons.. But mainly, they are very new technology and they are still working the bugs out, and the 4K sector compatibility issues.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
MY 10 year old seagate is still going strong.......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:47:25 AM »
Someone sent me something about WD HHD Power Supply failures...  Anyone here have the same exp.??? 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
don't buy the new "elements" drive!  I just did a HD b&p for someone that sent me a elements 1.5 tb.  the read speed was only 10-15mbs!  that is about like usb 1!  I looked into it and others have the same issue.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 11:24:25 PM »
For a back up, I use a 4 Sata Bay Enclosure.  This has the choice of either a software RAID or a hardware RAID Card, so you can go either RAID 0 and have 4x whatever gig your SATA is or RAID 1 and have a two disk redundancy.  I happen to use Western Digital Green Cavaier Drives, which are variable speed so they are cooler (you can hold them in your had while they are operating) and are more energy efficient.  Because they run cooler, you can downsize your fan and power supply as well. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
I have 1 mybook and 3 elements drives. The mybook is my daily driver and the elements are rotating backup/rsyncs.

Havn't had an issue in 18 months or so with the mybook. I don't thrash the thing or run it 24/7 like I did with some of my internals in an old server, but it is the drive that receives/uploads all of my torrent data. ymwv
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com