Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on AKG 391s???  (Read 10302 times)

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Thoughts on AKG 391s???
« on: November 09, 2003, 09:04:58 AM »
So, Im thinking about maybe getting a pair of 391s for christmas. I was wondering what everybody think of these, or if there are any threads about this topic. THANKS!

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
Re:Thoughts on AKG 391s???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 09:47:36 AM »
Personally I think they're great for the price.  But everyone is going to tell you to listen for yourself.  Find a some shows on the archive and you'll see that they're some pretty sweet mics.  I say go for it. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 11:10:35 AM »
I love them....at the price point, nothing touches them in my opinion...I am on my way out the door, but drop me a PM and I can point you to some shows done with them on the archive, or I have some others that are not up there, you may be interested in hearing...different combos, with mp-2, with just phantom power and transformers, etc...everything from moe, drive by truckers, particle, new monsoon, abb, counting crows, dmb...and a bunch of other local stuff.  Let me know if your interested in hearing some stuff...

I am actually thinking of possible upgrading after the end of the year, so I may have a set of 391's with 93 caps as well...we shall see...

Nick

Jason B

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 12:35:38 PM »

I am actually thinking of possible upgrading after the end of the year, so I may have a set of 391's with 93 caps as well...we shall see...

Uh ohhhh....... What are we looking at Nick?

-JB

Offline Swampy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 01:21:46 PM »
Thanks guys. Ive seen so many used pairs for under 500 that I think Im gonna go for em in about a month. Thanks!

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 02:44:02 PM »
I loved mine... ran them for about 3 years and made some excellent tapes. I still pull some of them off the shelf and they sound very nice. Nick has my old mics and he has seemed very pleased. Go get em Alex!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 03:39:23 PM »

-JB

something a little more portable....JK Labs, 4022, KM140 route....my preference would be the JK Labs box...cause I love the AKG sound...but we shall see...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 03:41:01 PM »
I loved mine... ran them for about 3 years and made some excellent tapes. I still pull some of them off the shelf and they sound very nice. Nick has my old mics and he has seemed very pleased. Go get em Alex!

Yup...I have made some excellent tapes with them....I will say though that the hyper caps for these are almost a requirement...simply because they open up so many more options along with the card caps....and they sound great!

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 05:14:46 PM »
i loved mine.  ran 391's -> UA5.    like everyone else said can't beat them for the price.  speaking of which i've got a pair of 391's and 93 caps for sale.  PM me if you're intested.  i'd really really like to sell these things.
george

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 05:21:50 PM »

-JB

something a little more portable....JK Labs, 4022, KM140 route....my preference would be the JK Labs box...cause I love the AKG sound...but we shall see...

go with the 140's, imo...i think they have a fuller sound than the akg's and their warmth will do better in less than optimal taping situations than the 4022's.  definitely my favorite of the sd's for all around usage.  since i used to run them, i may be a bit biased  ;)

-damon

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 05:28:41 PM »

-JB

go with the 140's, imo...i think they have a fuller sound than the akg's and their warmth will do better in less than optimal taping situations than the 4022's.  definitely my favorite of the sd's for all around usage.  since i used to run them, i may be a bit biased  ;)

-damon

the 140's yes, but IMO,idontlikethe 150caps NEARLY as much as the 63 hypers....the 150's have too much bass roll-off IMO...but if yer gonna run 140'salmost exclusively, theyreVERY tight, if ya want hypers, go akg
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Swampy

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 05:52:38 PM »
i loved mine.  ran 391's -> UA5.    like everyone else said can't beat them for the price.  speaking of which i've got a pair of 391's and 93 caps for sale.  PM me if you're intested.  i'd really really like to sell these things.
george

Hey man, I sent you a PM. If they are still avable in about a month when Im ready to buy, lemmie know!

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2003, 06:13:07 PM »

the 140's yes, but IMO,idontlikethe 150caps NEARLY as much as the 63 hypers....the 150's have too much bass roll-off IMO...but if yer gonna run 140'salmost exclusively, theyreVERY tight, if ya want hypers, go akg

i agree completely.  i absolutely love my 140s but i think if i ever decided to pick up a set of hypers i'd probably just buy a set of 483s instead of the ak50 caps.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2003, 06:14:36 PM »
also the 391s are great mics for the money, probably the best value in that price range.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »
loved my 391s

ran them
391s > ps2 > transformers > modsbm1
and
391s > warm mod ua5

always made nice tapes!! great for the price!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com