Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony WM-D3 Anolog Recorder Question  (Read 3138 times)

Offline wh0snext

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony WM-D3 Anolog Recorder Question
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »
Hello,

I have been using a Sony WM-D3 recorder for about 10 years. I really like the sound, portability and size of the unit. I am however having problems with it now and am not sure what's wrong. My last 2 recordings have been ruined because the recording is coming out distorted and sounding like it is under water. When I experiment at home I find that if I tap on the recorder it corrects the problem for a time but it will go back to distortion mode after a few minutes. I am guessing that the heads are out of wack but am looking to see if any one else has had this problem and how did you get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ric

Depechemode1993

Re: Sony WM-D3 Anolog Recorder Question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »
your heads might be misaligned or they are dirty. have  you used a cleaning tape? If not I would try and see if you can get it serviced somewhere like Pro Digital. A yearly checkup isn't bad.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 04:06:02 PM »
If you are unable to fix it with cleaning the heads, demagnetizing, etc you might want to just pick one up on Ebay.  May be able to get this one cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-WALKMAN-PROFESSIONAL-RECORDING-WM-D3-Recorder_W0QQitemZ290215124820QQihZ019QQcategoryZ15053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline wh0snext

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:11:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The heads are clean. I'll try to demagnetize the heads and see if that works. Otherwise I'll check ebay out and consider sending it into the shop.

Ric

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »
Notorious supply reel and take-up reel forces eventually get out of specification from wear, and metal capstan-pinch roller can get dirty, and roller rubber can be dried out/dirty to not pull tape past the heads in consistent manner.  Nothing short of expert tech service has chance of fixing the reel forces, but you can try cleaning the capstan/pinch roller with pure isopropyl alcohol and cotton swab to see if this helps. 

Also electronic servo that regulates capstan speed can go bad for a number of reasons that also requires expert tech service. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
your heads might be misaligned or they are dirty. have  you used a cleaning tape? If not I would try and see if you can get it serviced somewhere like Pro Digital. A yearly checkup isn't bad.

This is an analog cassette recorder...and has been out of production for decades...would seem unlikely than anyone would service it.

Best bet if you like this device - try to buy a working replacement on ebay...probably cost less than a repair.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:58:59 PM »
As I remember the D-3, I believe that the heads are connected to the door, so they move every time the door opens or is closed. Thus, the extra movement makes them come out of alignment more often than other small recorders. Based on your cursory description, I think it is a head alignment issue.

I suggest the following:
1. Unless you LOVE the small size of it, but want to remain cassette analog, but a d-6 or d-5 to replace it. (You can get those cheap these days). A D-6 is not much bigger physically, but I think a much higher quality unit. As I remember talk amongst Dead tapers when the D-3 came out "It's half a D-6".  ;)

2. If your budget is a bit bigger, look into the CHEAP 24 bit recorders out these days. They are even smaller than a d-3. Plus, you don't have to buy tapes for it!!

I would not spend the $$ getting it fixed/calibrated. You can use your cash more effectively elsewhere.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:18:33 AM by Since85 »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
A D-6 is not much bigger physically, but I think a much higher quality unit. . . .
2. If your budget is a bit bigger, look into the CHEAP 24 bit recorders out these days. They are even smaller than a d-3. Plus, you don't have to buy tapes for it!!
The WM-D6C is a great unit. If you are sticking to analog, you will probably like it. The new solid state recorders are mighty handy though, and getting cheaper all the time! Think the $$ you will save on media!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com