Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a new recorder with internal mic's  (Read 2054 times)

Offline ChrisMofNS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Looking for a new recorder with internal mic's
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

I used to use an iRiver iHP-120 with a Sony battery powered stereo condenser (MS907) to record voice lessons and tape broadway shows and such.  My iRiver has been deleting files randomly and I lost the Sony mic, so I'm looking for a new recording solution.  I've been looking at the 'all in one' solutions, particularly the Olympus LS-10, but as I started reading about everything I just got lost amidst the options.  The one caveat is that at some point I want to start doing some vocal 'studio-esque' recordings of myself, where I'll record a piano with the device and then later sing over it into the same device, which makes me think I should go for something that has XLR in's.  That said, I don't own any microphones, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. 

So I have two questions:

The Sony D50 looks the best but is too big for what I am looking for.  I listened to the samples at wingfieldaudio.com and I feel as though the Olympus clips lack bass.  (Edit:)  It looks as though the Edirol is marketed towards musicians.  Am I right in thinking the consensus is that the Edirol R-09HR is better than the Marantz PMD 620 or Olympus LS-10 for live music recording from the internal mics?  I don't want to deal with external mics until I get into the whole studio recording thing, which leads me to the next question:

If I want to do studio recordings as I've described above, would it be best to just use the aforementioned recorders simply for recording live gigs and then buying some legitimate recording equipment for the studio stuff?  Or can it be done with one of these recorders?

Thanks!

Chris
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:16:48 PM by ChrisMofNS »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looking for a new recorder with internal mic's
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:52:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I used to use an iRiver iHP-120 with a Sony battery powered stereo condenser (MS907) to record voice lessons and tape broadway shows and such.  My iRiver has been deleting files randomly and I lost the Sony mic, so I'm looking for a new recording solution.  I've been looking at the 'all in one' solutions, particularly the Olympus LS-10, but as I started reading about everything I just got lost amidst the options.  The one caveat is that at some point I want to start doing some vocal 'studio-esque' recordings of myself, where I'll record a piano with the device and then later sing over it into the same device, which makes me think I should go for something that has XLR in's.  That said, I don't own any microphones, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. 

So I have two questions:

The Sony D50 looks the best but is too big for what I am looking for.  I listened to the samples at wingfieldaudio.com and I feel as though the Olympus clips lack bass.  (Edit:)  It looks as though the Edirol is marketed towards musicians.  Am I right in thinking the consensus is that the Edirol R-09HR is better than the Marantz PMD 620 or Olympus LS-10 for live music recording from the internal mics?  I don't want to deal with external mics until I get into the whole studio recording thing, which leads me to the next question:

If I want to do studio recordings as I've described above, would it be best to just use the aforementioned recorders simply for recording live gigs and then buying some legitimate recording equipment for the studio stuff?  Or can it be done with one of these recorders?

Thanks!

Chris

If you must have a recorder and use only the internal mics then consider the Tascam DR-1 it has the best built in mics I have ever heard. But if you think you will go with external mics down the road and can compromise on the internal mics the RO9-HR is the best recorder out there for its low noise floor but its internal mics lack warmth and real clarity that the DR-1 has I have had both recorders. No recorder is going to work great for recording live shows simply because the cant handle the Spl of a loud concert and you simply cant place the recorder in an idea spot to get good audio unless you have permission..

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com