Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on DPA 4060 series  (Read 8540 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Advice on DPA 4060 series
« on: January 29, 2003, 02:44:10 PM »
OK, fellers, Armen is in need of some advice regarding the DPA 4060 series.
<snip>
All right, guys! I'd like to get your opinions on my situation. I'm a little cool on the idea of spending $600 on 4060s and taking them to my metal shows, maybe not being able to use them FOS for fear of overload, that sort of thing.
Thanks for reading and my email is on here, also.
Armen
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:17:25 PM by zhianosatch »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re:Advice on DPA 4060 series
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 02:54:47 PM »
i owned a pair of 4061s for a year and a half and never had any issues this guy mentioned

i stealthed 4061 > mps6010 (the dpa supply that does microdot > xlr) > mp2 > d8 often

i used the mp2 for phantom.  never had spl issues, and i kissed the stacks at some shows

also ran them from halfway across the arena at madison square garden for u2, and that tape sounds pretty damn good.  

all other friends who've run 4060s and 4061s haven't had any issues either...

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 04:31:54 PM »
this guy sounds like a complete Toolbox, Armen.  

do you want to listen to Imitation CSB Jockey or real Tapers?  no offense, i'm just saying.  
seems funny you came back here for the definitive answer.  ;)  

honestly, i think that opinion was given awhile back.  and by a number of respected Tapers on this Board.  if you are overly concerned with SPLs, then skip the 4060s.  get the 4061s.  

the way it sounds to me, Mr. Toolbox didn't have these powered properly.  even after all was said and done, given the choice, he still opted for DPAs.  of the small, concealable mics made, the DPAs absolutely cannot be beat.  if you want better dynamic range/ sound of real mics, then get yourself some stealthable real mics.  4Vs/ 140s/ 4022s etc.

Scott B has mentioned the proper way to power/ run these mics.  bear in mind that this is also a mod (if not set up this way originally, which many don't).  i don't believe you will find any DPAs with microdot connectors and md-> xlr cables for less than 600.00.  i believe Scott B also ran his DPAs with a battery box (please correct me if i am wrong, Scott).  maybe he could comment a lil more on the diff in powering and if it made a diff in sound quality.  

the other thing to consider is this.  if you buy these and end up not being complete overjoyed with them, hey, just sell them.  these mics get snapped up very quickly any time they are put up for sale by someone.  you would not lose a penny if bought at a decent enuf price.

what it all boils down to is this.  trust your own heart/ ears.  you have mentioned how you have been jealous every time you have seen/ heard these mics.  you personnaly like the sound.  screw what everybody else thinks (including me) and do what your heart tells you.  in the end, that's what will make you the happiest.  

hope this helps.

~S  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 08:01:58 PM by hippies »

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 06:12:21 PM »
That guy, with just the right amount of radiation, can get just about any mic to overload.  Brad's recording is unargueable one of the best of '02, so fuck what smagma says.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 08:42:15 AM by Schwillaby »

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 07:10:32 PM »
Hi All,

I'm sorry if I'm missing something here but be wary of anyone claiming to be selling NEW 406* series mics for under $600.00

Right now, the DPA distributor is offering a clearance that will enable us, as an authorized dealer, to sell them for $575.00 + power supply (around $135.00).  Anything less is highly suspect.

I can certainly see why some folks would like the CSB option as it includes the high-pass filter (bass roll-off) option, but the stock DPA version with choice of connectors, makes it easier to utilize an outboard pre-amp.

Regarding 4060's vs 4061's, I typically recommend the 61's as they have a sensitivity more similar to most of the other condensor mics that we are used to using.  This is a fairly minor matter. Either should work equally well.

Enough babble for now.

Happy Recording,

Marc

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 07:38:41 PM »
there you go Armen.  skip the used and go straight for the spankin' new!

if you have the choice of connectors at time of purchase, this negates any 'mod' that might be nec if someone else purchased new and didn't set the mics up the way you want.  

not to self promote, but i have a pair of Denecke Power Supplies currently up for sale cheap, that would Phantom power these quite nicely and be compatible with your AD20 to give you a very nice small/ high quality setup.  i'd be willing to shoot out the Deneckes and let you use them on a trial basis/ work out a deferred payment, that kinda thing.  

peace

~scott

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2003, 10:04:35 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input! Individual replies:

Scott: This is why I posted the conversation here - I saved the conversation for you guys to pick apart. ;) ;)
Yeah, having his DPAs powered poorly was the only thing I could think of that could cause his SPL problem. And maybe someday I'll go the Scheops/Team Neumann/bigger DPA route, but for now, I need to keep things concealed. Hence the 4060 series.
Trust my ears, yeah! I DO like the DPA sound - nice and clean and accurate. I WILL do what feels/sounds right. Damn right I will! :) Thanks, man...

Mike: I totally "hear" ya on that one (hehe). I always, always wear earplugs and at some shows I hold my ears as closed as I can... see, my dad and an uncle both have tinnitus, and lemme tell ya, that scares the living hell out of me. I'm pretty careful for an 18 year old punk-ass. ;D
And I'm presently trying to plan how to configure the mic end. I dig the AD-20 I'm using right now quite a bit for several reasons, the most important being its all-in-oneness: pretty nice A/D, preamp, small enough, and cheap!

Schwilly: Haha! You know me better than that! "Total fuckface" indeed. I wasn't seeking Mike's advice (except about matched caps), I was asking him why the hell he had the problems that he did. I was listening politely for the rest of it. And yes, all of Brad's 2002 FOB recordings are excellent, as are Ed's FOSes.

Marc: I'm wary, too - again, another reason why I posted this. Perhaps Mike's problem was due to buying from a Canadian DPA bootlegger. Ha ha!
Authorized DPA dealer, eh? My purchase may be a ways away, but do you guys have URL? And how long is that clearance expected to last?

Scott again: New, hell yeah! ;) Buying new has served me well enough this far. So you have two PS-1s? THANKS very much for the offer! I just might take you up on that - might. And I just might have to dip into the savings again... urrr... stupid taping/not ever being satisfied!!

Whew, ok. Here's what I've got right now:

Core Sound Binaurals (w/ switchable filter box & generic miniplug/2XLR adapter, whatever Core Sound sold me)
Two Shure A15AS switchable attenuators (new & cheap from Daryan, thanks man!)
Denecke AD-20 (w/ low-z XLR mic ins - I saw someone selling an Inbox that he said had "Hi Z" inputs, sounded a little weird to me)
Sony MZ-R700 (it'll have to do for now)

So OK, the question! What would be the best COMPACT and STEALTHY way to juice up some 4061s and run 'em into my AD-20? (The Shures hanging off the Inbox + XLR into the Shures makes a 12.5" long monster that is as big as I can go! I want to stay low-profile, and although I pride myself on meing able to "crotch in" anything up to/including the the size of a SCUD missile, I don't want to push it more than I am, ya know?)

Thanks so much!!! ;D +tickets for everyone!!!
Armen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2003, 10:13:40 PM »
>>Scott B has mentioned the proper way to power/ run these mics.  bear in mind that this is also a mod (if not set up this way originally, which many don't).  i don't believe you will find any DPAs with microdot connectors and md-> xlr cables for less than 600.00.  i believe Scott B also ran his DPAs with a battery box (please correct me if i am wrong, Scott).  maybe he could comment a lil more on the diff in powering and if it made a diff in sound quality.  <<

yep i ran 4061 > mps6010 > mp2

the mps6010 is their battery box that takes the dpa microdot and outputs xlr.  i used this box for phantom sometimes, and sometimes i just used the mp2 phantom (with no battery in the mps 6010).  worked fine both ways

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 01:27:58 AM »
Scott B,
So the DPA box powered your 4061s adequately? You'd think it would, but since the inbox doesn't do phantom, I have nothing (MP2) to fall back on. ;) Armen wants to be confident at the shows, way up front, kissing the stacks... ya know...  ::)
Armen

Offline scb

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 07:28:08 AM »
>>So the DPA box powered your 4061s adequately?<<

yep, that's what it's made for. dpa know what they're doing

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/eng_pub/Products/Item-MPS6010.html

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 11:49:58 AM »
re: the DPA box... anyone have input specs? Want to use it for MKE-2's and 4060's. Also, It uses Sennheiser/Lemo Microdot connectors?

Bri

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2003, 01:50:32 AM »
Armen,

here's your big chance, bro!

2 sets of 4 DPA 4061s w/ Lemo connectors up on Ebay for the next 8 hrs or so:

http://hyperlink2.com/?158

that link will show you both sets.  no bids as yet, so it looks as if a bid of 400.00 will net you 4 4061s.  
sell 2 and get your pair for a helluva deal!

i might even buy the other set offa ya!  or trade you my Deneckes and cash.  ::)

peace

~Scott
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 01:55:01 AM by hippies »

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2003, 05:35:41 AM »
Scott,
Speaking of big chance, I just sent off a check covering brand new DPA 4061s, MPS 6010 microdot>xlr, and some Belden xlrs to Marc this morning!
AAAAAAAH! THERE GOES ALL MY MONEY! ;D
Thanks for looking out, though. I saw this guy a week or two ago selling the same bunch... well, it's too late for this deal now, but I bought new and I think I'll be satisfied! I hope. ;)
It's 2:30 am and I am so fucking PISSED after a wonderful Joe Satriani show and what would have been a darn good recording. Urrr... taping equipment!!! So I am OUT to SLEEP now.
More to come on that sad story, but thanks for the link and looking out for a homie!
Armen
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 05:36:25 AM by zhianosatch »

Offline scb

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2003, 04:25:58 PM »
just an fyi, the connectors on the ebay ones are *not* the dpa microdots that'll hook up to their power supplies.  you have to send those in to get new connectors

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2003, 08:50:43 PM »
right, but the price was smokin'!   ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com