Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM H2 OWNERS... ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline deadwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ZOOM H2 OWNERS... ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
Been using my H2 for about 3 months without any problems - I'm using external batt box with a pair of CA-11 mics. I'd had a slight issue on my last recording where there were a few short drop outs on one channel on a part of the recording, but I'd put that down to being knocked around a bit as the recording before and after that part worked fine.

Last night I recording a three band gig- recorded the first two without any apprent problems, went out to the car before the main band came on just to have a quick listen and all seemed fine, but when I went to set the recording for the main band I was getting no signal on the volume indicators- checked and cleaned  all the connections, made sure there was power in the battery- still nothing. As the main band were about to hit the stage, I decided to go with the internal mics and they did a surprisingly good job - considering this was one of the loudest gigs I've ever been at.

Back home today, I've tested the recorder witth every combination of equipment I can lay my hands on - I've fed the line in from a casette recorder- nothing. So I am now assuming the line in input has gone faulty. Thing is, a friend I know returned two that had a line in fault 'out of the box' but that was a slightly different issue in that it recorded on one channel only.

Obviously, the recorder is still under warranty, so I can return it, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if could be solved without returning the unit?

One other thing- anyone used the mic input with a battery box? I just tried that and it doesn't seem to show any input without first switching on 'plug in power' in the menu. Would using the mic input with the battery box give highly distorted recordings?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:11:52 AM by deadwing »

Offline Emile

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: ZOOM H2 OWNERS... ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
I have had this (slightly different) problem and I broke my Zoom h2 line in for the second time now
Apparently my SP bat box kills one channel on the line in.

I now use my Zoom h2 with Mic In > Bb box > AT831
works fine and I made quite a few good recordings with this set up. (make sure you switch OFF plug in power, as you dont want any power being feeded to the bbox)

I am sure some people on ts disagree with going mic in > bat box, but I don't feel like returning it for a second time

http://www.archive.org/details/jmraz2008-07-09.flac16
this is one of the recordings I made with mic in (plug in power off).. works well in my opinion :)
SP-CMC-2 (AT831s) > SP-SPSB-1 > SP-XLRM-MINI-2 > Edirol UA-5 bm2p+ (Toslink out) > (Optical in) iRiver iHP-120 (CF Mod 16 GB / Rockbox 3.13)
Recordings on LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/emileh

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Funny, for some reason when I opened this thread, I expected to see this...

...probably the all-caps title :)
- What's this knob do?

Offline deadwing

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »
Nah, I just wanted the head to GRAB some ATTENTION !!! :D

Emile,your answer is very interesting- I'm using a GreenMachine batt box>Line In>CA-11 (Changing now to CA-14's)- you mention the batt box is killing your line in- can you expand on that (i.e. how does the batt box kill it?).

I'm going to return it on Friday, but I've got a show tomorrow night so I'm going to try the mic in>batt box(plug in power off)>CA14's -should be interesting- I'll try that on the support band then check the recording in the toilet - if it doesn't work, I can always use the built in mics for the band I really want to record

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »
Wild. yeah I have the same setup as Emile. After using my zune to record one band took it home and only left channel would work. I returned it to amazon (as it was before the first 30 days) and they sent me a new one. As of now it is still working but this scares me. What could be causing the hardware to take a dump and only record through one channel?

maybe I should have bought the r09?

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com