Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Generic newbie help post  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Generic newbie help post
« on: May 22, 2004, 02:43:48 AM »
So I just posted this over at a Stephen Malkmus board. Thought some of you might like to read it and maybe make some suggestions. I know it's not perfect. I'm not suggesting to use this one, but I think it would be cool to have something we all can cut an paste for other forums. Maybe saved in the archives. Heck, maybe it's already there!

There's a few funnies in there too.

I saved this on my computer because it seems like I have to re-write it every few months.

Here you go. (oh, some of it is specific for the dude's question):

Several places to visit:

1. www.acidcasualties.com. Sometimes has Jicks torrents. Nothing up there now, but I may put something up soon. Just have to finish up a few other torrents I have going.

2. www.taperssection.com. Tapers msg board. Very friendly bunch there. If you have any questions you can ask them there and you'll get your answer, usually in a few minutes.

3. www.oade.com. Good place to buy stuff. Also has a msg board. The site is bit difficult to navigate though.

4. www.sonicsense.com. Another good place to buy stuff.

5. www.soundprofessionals.com. good small mics.

Note: all prices below are appoximate.

Equipment can go 1000 differnt ways. Depends on how much you want to spend. If money was no object I'd get Neumann U89 mics ($2300 each) > Audio Magic cables ($200/pr) > Lunatec V3 mic preamp ($1500) > Sony SBM-1 D/A converter ($400 used) > Tascam DA-P1 DAT deck ($1500). Now I'm going to guess thats a bit too much to spend, but I think it's nice to know what you're going to do when you win the lottery.

If you want to keep it reasonable but still make nice tapes, a very popular setup can be had for about $900. That would be Oktava MC012 mics ($200/pr from Guitar Center) > Basic XLR Mic cables($50) > Edirol UA5 ($350 digi-mod version from oade.com) > Creative Nomad JB3 ($200). The UA5 also needs batteries which you have to build your self (super easy). The parts for that cost about $60 from Radio Shack. If you want to hear how good that can sound go to www.sharingthegroove.org and download BOTH versions of the My Morning Jacket or Andrew Bird show from Boulder, CO (last weeks show). One version is the Oktava setup listed above. The other is very similar to the super expensive setup above (subsitute DPA 4011 mics).

Thats a good way to pick what you want. I happen to like the DPA version better, but other people liked the low end the Oktavas had.

Now, I realize a newbie taper might not want to spend $900. So I will give you the budget option. If you go lower than this budget option, you might as well not do it because your tapes will sound like shit.

Budget taping setup goes something like this:

1. MICS: either Core-Sound Binaurals (NOT the low cost version, about $230 from core-sound.com) Please note that the owner of Core is an idiot, but makes decent mics. You WILL have to CALL him. He doesn't answer his email. Another plus to this setup is the mics are small so you can tape when you're not supose to be taping (frequently the case with "good" music). Jicks are open taping but sometimes they forget to tell the venue.

The other mic option is from soundprofessionals.com. They have a set made from Audio Technica AT-853 mics. They need a battery box to work. You'll have to ask them exactly what you need. Not too sure about that. They cost about the same. Once again, try to get recording made with each set of mics and decide what YOU like better. I think both are about the same, but I'd prefer not to give my money to Core-Sound due to their less than stellar customer service.

2. Creative Nomad JB3. As far as I'm concerned this is the ONLY option for a recorder (unless you really want to spend some cash). DAT decks are no longer being made. You can still buy them new, but it will be hard to find parts to fix them. Also they cost 2-5X as much as a JB3. Which reminds me. It HAS TO BE A JB3. No JB2. No other hard-drive MP3 player.

So the cheap route is about $450. You won't be disapointed.

As far as the actual taping thing goes, just know that your first few tapes might not sound to great. It takes practice, and a lot of reading. Seriously hang out at www.taperssection.com EVERY DAY! Not only will you learn a lot, there's some cool ass folks there. I personally think it's the coolest msg board anywhere. So do that, and practice on some crappy local bands before you go out and tape your favorite band.

I think that about covers it. If I forgot anything, go ask your questions at taperssection.com and all will be good.

MIKE B

PS. I hope that wasn't to vague

-MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com